mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Training with Gene Hamilton in Fruita

Has anyone checked out the BetterRides Training Camp with Gene Hamilton (http://www.betterride.net)? I just returned from Fruita, CO having spent a day with him learning all that I did not know. Very personable instruction. Spent almost 2 hours with him at a local park working on skills that taught me alot. Then went out to the Bookcliffs area North of town to try them out. We covered the Prime Cut / Joe's Ridge / Kesal Run trails. Definintly worth the money and time spent. He was never in a rush and obviously has a real good feel for the sport. I can tell that I will able to tackle more technical trails with a great deal less effort than I would have in the past or even attempted before. He races at the NORBA races and likes to schedule local training sessions at these events.

robust, yet smooth
    Mar 2004

no, but

I'm strongly considering it. He gave a great reply in this thread Need your best MTB skills drills asking for mtb skill drills. I thought his responses were really well reasoned and thought provoking.

I'm seriously considering either flying out to CO or seeing if I can get enough interest here in mid-TN to have him come in for a 1-2 day "clinic".

I'd love to find someone local to take a few technical lessons from, but am not aware of anyone.

Although there's no way to go into some of the you-had-to-be-there stuff, I'd love to hear some of the general knowledge you got from him.

Thanks for posting. I've thought about his clinic more than once - in fact, it's the only object on my xmas list (if you're going to ask big, don't ask for many things, eh).

best,

-capt p

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by capt pearl
    I'm strongly considering it. He gave a great reply in this thread Need your best MTB skills drills asking for mtb skill drills. I thought his responses were really well reasoned and thought provoking.

I'm seriously considering either flying out to CO or seeing if I can get enough interest here in mid-TN to have him come in for a 1-2 day "clinic".

I'd love to find someone local to take a few technical lessons from, but am not aware of anyone.

Although there's no way to go into some of the you-had-to-be-there stuff, I'd love to hear some of the general knowledge you got from him.

Thanks for posting. I've thought about his clinic more than once - in fact, it's the only object on my xmas list (if you're going to ask big, don't ask for many things, eh).

best,

-capt p
    After reading the link you sent, I felt that I was back there listening to him. He concentrates alot on the mental aspects, body positioning and sight lines. While riding, he was constantly reminding me to focus on where to look and how I should be positioned on the bike. On a few more technical sections, he would actually get off the bike and walk the section explaining the best lines (and not so best lines) to conquer the obstacles. Then have me try the the sections again a couple of times until he could see that I was understanding his philosophy. One time, after I cleared a particularly tough rock area (at least for me), he asked me to ride again, but this time with a smile on my face and taking a breath. He didn't try to browbeat into me until I cleared the sections. He was very astute on whether I grabbed the concept or not. On some areas, he could tell that I just needed more practice, both physically and mentally. I am hoping that in the future I can possibly take additional sessions from him to build upon this.

Ric

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    After reading the the Dirt Camp thread below I thought I would post my coaching background so riders can make an educated choice when comparing coaches.

Since 1987 I have been competing in, teaching, and coaching snowboarding and/or mountain biking.

Coaching experience:

1990-91 Director of snowboarding and snowboard team coach, Wisp Resort.

1992-94 CRMS Snowboard Team coach and snowboard instructor, Snowmass Resort.

1995-98 Head Snowboard Coach, Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club, Level 2 USSA Snowboard Coach

1993-2003 Mountain Bike Coach, started BetterRide in 1998. Earned club coaching license in 2001, earned expert license in 2003. Clients have included 2003 National Champion Marla Streb, Lisa Myklak the 2002 Collegiate National Champion and many aspiring racers of all ages and abilities.

While working as a coach and competing over the last 17 years I have strived to consistently learn and improve my coaching. I continue to do this through being coached, listening to athletes, taking coaching courses and studying all aspects of sport. I have studied coaching, sports psychology, motivation, and physics as it relates to cornering, balance and breaking.

Racing experience:

1987-1993 Professional Snowboarder

1993-1995 Amateur mountain bike racer

1995-2003 Professional mountain bike racer

Career Highlights: 1999 bronze Medalist and 2002 silver Medalist at the UCI World Masters Championships

Thank you,

Gene Hamilton, owner and head coach of BetterRide
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net