Dr. Beat
    Jan 2006

Training consistency

I consider myself a motivated and disciplined person. However, regardless of my best intentions and planned workouts, I can never seem to make it happen to 100%.

Setbacks from colds, work, social obligations etc always conspire to interfere with my intended workouts. I usually end up accomplishing only about 70 - 80 % of my planned training/week.

I don't think my training plans are over reaching. Am I being too hard on myself?

In the real world, how often are you serious amateur racers able to stick precisely with your training plans?

Any tips for making this happen more often?

conjoinicorned
    Setbacks from colds, work, social obligations etc always conspire to interfere with my intended workouts. I usually end up accomplishing only about 70 - 80 % of my planned training/week.
    sounds exactly like me...but swap social obligations with family obligations.

i'm happy if i reach 80% of my planned week. for an amateur, i'd say you're right on track!
    IMO it would be a bit more concerning if you were around 50% of your plans...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    yea, 70-80% is good. As long as you get in one LONG ride a week you should be fine.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I plan on a simple weekly basis, but as with all things it does not always work.

I do however track on a monthly basis, I do achieve that goal, cause there seems to be enough float to get everything done.

I also make wishs, say I would like 10 hours a week on the bike for say June, this is a wish not a goal and I may achieve it or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Balance

Sometimes conflicts arise and you have to decide which is higher on your prioirty list, that weekly interval session or that social obligation. Training and racing are huge commitments but unless you are a pro no one is paying for you to make a living at it, so dont be so rigid in your expectations that you feel "guilty" when you skip a training session or two along the way.
    It may help to identify key workouts on a weekly basis that focus specifcally on whatever energy system you are working on for a given period. That way you can make an extra effort to hit those "key" workouts each week.
    Last edited by santa_cruzer; 03-22-2007 at 09:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Compass

Training plans are like a compass. They keep you going in the right direction.

The most important thing is long term consitency, ie 3-4 years of continuous periodized work where each year build upon the last.

mtbr member
    I second aswinearl. The long term is where its at...Use that compass to stay true to the course and in the long run you'll end up where you want to be

mtbr member
    I would say that if you are achieving only 70-80% of your workouts per week then your plan is too optimistic or aggressive. You would probably feel better about your training and be more motivated if you adjusted your plan so you were hitting 95-100% of your workouts each week.

In the past, I had dream training plans that I never seemed to be able it hit, and got kinda down about it and found my motivation slip. It wasn't until I adjusted the plan to a reasonable level to fit my lifestyle that my times improved. If you have a positive outlook about the plan then each session will be of a higher quality.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm on the same page as overkill, my training plans are completely attainable to me because I make them that way. A few seasons ago I set ridiculous standards for myself and ended up failing miserably because real life got in the way and it pretty much blew my entire season, I have learned how to work around my schedule and my needs since then and I have actually been progressing.

Members who have read this thread: 0