mtbr member
    May 2006

Training Check In: How's it going?

I've recently changed up my program and am seeing substantial gains in my sub threshold power.

how is your training going?

mtbr member
    I'm following about 75% of my training plan. Can't believe how soon my first race is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good I think...

Put in some big volume. Then two weeks of hiccups (work travel and stress, then got sick), but I got back on it this last weekend with 9hrs.

First Kenda Cup race is coming up fast so we will see if I can pull off a decent finish. I will likely train through the first one to set me up a bit better for the ProXCT events.
    Try to be good.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wicked; having my best winter yet.

Doing a ton of DH skiing, some XC skiing and tiny bit of bike riding. At least another month of serious snow sports left in me.

I road 2 1/2 hrs saturday at an easy pace on flat ground and was completely fried. I think this is going to be a good race season.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Decent I guess. Steadily been putting in 8-9 hours a week since December. I've never had an issue with force or muscular endurance so this year I decided to focus specifically on endurance. Every ride I've done has been at least 3 hours. With this much stress my legs feel surprisingly fresh. Can't wait for the start of the season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I took 5 years off from racing, or any real training. Got permission from the wife and kids to go "all in" this year, and I got a coach to do the thinking for me.

I'm amazed at how strong I feel given my limited hours on the bike (6-10 hours/week). I've lost 15 pounds, and my numbers have been steadily increasing since November. My local race series starts up in April; can't wait!

I'll still probably be mid-pack, because I'm an old man racing against the kiddo's, but I feel great and I'm having fun.

One of the great paradoxes in life: when I was young and fit and had lots of time, I was training myself and riding borrowed and/or low-end equipment. Now that I'm able to pay for a coach and get a good race bike, I've hardly any time to train and my body just can't do what it used to...

g3h6o3
    Going fine. First season training with a power meter. It's very interesting to see the numbers rise. I can say I've reached last year's level by now and I'm in the 2nd week of base 2. I just upped my FTP so from now it's the hard work that starts and I'm hoping on getting 280 watts for my 2x20 by the start of the racing season.
    Last edited by PissedOffCil; 02-08-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Broken ribs 2 weeks ago is slowing me down. I am going to try to ride again today.

rad to the power of sick
    Pretty decent... just started a new job so i havent had much time. Numbers are about 4% higher than they were at this time last year. I havent put in a trainer ride longer than 2hrs though.. so Im a little worried about my endurance.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    http://soundcloud.com/deejayfeelgood

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Doing good. Snow closed my gym for 2 days last week which put a hiccup in it for me. Doing about 7+ a week on the bike plus about an hour and a half of weights and an hour of jogging a week. Watching my FTP watts go up is great. Hope to be at 4W/lb by race season. Sittin just shy of that right now.First race is a little over a month away. Almost done building an Orbea Alma, so going from an 04 Spec Enduro I'm excited to ride it.

mtbr member
    Moved across the country over New Years, so real training has only been a few weeks, but dang if some people aren't racing soon!

Been riding the bike as much as I can and even with some of the nasty weather storms we've had here I've put some time in on the trainer (first for me in 3 seasons), been able to commute into work by bike when weather is tolerable and ride as much as I can.

Been nice to get back into a good routine after a few months of whirlwind. I can say I'm having fun riding and training for first time in a few years.

mtbr member
    So far so good. Getting a little worn down now.

Had a 59 hour November, 70 hour December, then a 53 hour January with some sickness and dehydration issues. Trying to balance recovery with training load there.

Currently in Build 1 and I feel that I'm in great aerobic shape (zone 2, zone 3 power and endurance), but need to work threshold power more directly. Started that last week.

Spent a weekend at Camp Lynda (Wallenfels) two weeks ago, and my endurance was pretty good. Got 10 hours of hard riding (over 2 days) and felt good. I'm still a bit worn from that weekend, since I just continued training afterwards.

Also have been doing cross fit since mid-December, and I'm finding as training intensity is going up, cross fit workouts are becoming tougher to get through. So will be Xfitting once a week pretty soon; the problem is that I enjoy it so much, I'm tempted to cut back on the bike instead. At this point, I felt that crossfit was beneficial. I'm a lot stronger and lost 5 pounds during my time there; I'm at mid-summer race weight and believe I couldn't of gotten there this early without the class.

First race is 1st weekend of March, so will see how that goes.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 02-08-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Stayed in somewhat of a training mode throughout the off season. Mainly 1 hour aerobic rides, but made sure to hit threshold once a week. Last few weeks have been alternating lsd rides with threshold/interval rides. I've never trained with structure, always just kinda went out and rode. I'm feeling pretty good right now, hopefully my midpack results will improve this season.
    I may not have the best of everything, but I have everything.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    How's it going?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3TxR0ANPLqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd like to ad to mine that it is going exceptionally well with recent discoveries, stress reduction, however I did break a thumb commuting home a few weeks ago.

I have high hopes for this season.

I'm seeing HR at ~7 BPM lower at similar power comparing this year to last year.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrftc
    however I did break a thumb commuting home a few weeks ago.
    I did that too last year. I had to succumb to a suspension fork.

bi-winning
    I have not rode a bicycle this year. I've been on XC skis quite a bit, but not at high intensity levels.

I'll start thinking about bike racing in March. That gives me 2 months to get ready for my first XC race, and three months before the first 8h race.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's it...I'm getting a power meter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    That's it...I'm getting a power meter.
    why?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Going fine. First season training with a power meter. It's very interesting to see the numbers rise. I can say I've reached last year's level by now and I'm in the 2nd week of base 2. I just upped my FTP so from now it's the hard work that starts and I'm hoping on getting 280 watts for my 2x20 by the start of the racing season.
    what is your weight? what are the basics of your plan, maybe we could assist you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    why?
    More precise training metrics.

g3h6o3
    what is your weight? what are the basics of your plan, maybe we could assist you.
    Huh? I don't get it.. I'm on plan, know where I'm going and seeing the results... What exactly made you tick in my reply?
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    My Training has been Bad and Good. Good in the fact that I created a plan and sticking to it.
    Bad in fact that I got hurt, not bad, (both knees) right before x-mas, sat around for 4 weeks to recover to not make it worse - great time to sit around; when all your friends and family want to eat and drink! Put on 9# during those 4 weeks. Got back to training and helped my knees feel better! I just lost the 9# I gained, and my FTP is back to what it was before I got injured. So now I am back to square one.
    Good thing I don't start racing until May! Plenty of time to be in great shape.

Funny thing is, I thought people where crazy with 20 hours of volume per week of training. Than I started adding up mine - and I am at over 20 hours! Yet, 16 hr/wk is made up of BC skiing - and how I love doing that! So, that is why it didn't feel like much.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

late

Since my A races aren't untill the mid-summer and fall, im starting late again this year. I took 3 months off the bike, just finished a month of 1 ride per week. I won't really start training seriously until april. Its nice to not have pressure to log hours during the crappy late winter early spring weather. I love winter riding, but I don't want to do it 5 days a week!
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

So Far, So Good

A great base phase is in the books and even though I had a hard time finding training time when the kids were out of school for the holidays, I really increased my overall volume,121 vs 96 hrs, and the numbers of long rides, 10 x 3 and 5 x 4 hr vs 4 x 3 and no 4 hr, from what I did last season. Additionally I increased the volume of Z4, muscular endurance work from last year, 383 min vs 252 min. I just finished my 1st Build cycle where I incorporated 2 x 20 min LT and 6 x 3 min VO2max intervals. I don’t have a power meter, but I’m getting up the hill farther on the 3 min intervals already than I was at my best last year.

Also I did my first race last weekend. None of the fast guys from my class showed up, but my 51 yr old legs through down the 4th fastest Cat 1 time of the day.

Hopefully I can continue the build phase with the good recovery I’ve been experiencing and lose a few more pounds. My first important race, though I’ll still be training through is in 3 weeks and my first priority is still 10 weeks out. Looking forward to a great season.
    Last edited by stillhardtailing; 02-08-2011 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    I am doing OK, something like 2 hours total behind on my plan, which started in November.

I need to get outside soon. The excitement is wearing thin, I don't feel like spinning on the trainer, and not really motivated to hit the gym. I do it though, hoping for the results later to be the reward for a bit of tedium now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ...damn snowstorm closed the gym again tonight...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    Since my A races aren't untill the mid-summer and fall, im starting late again this year. I took 3 months off the bike, just finished a month of 1 ride per week. I won't really start training seriously until april. Its nice to not have pressure to log hours during the crappy late winter early spring weather. I love winter riding, but I don't want to do it 5 days a week!
    Same here. My A races are late august/early september. I think I'm going to try to focus on cx this year too. So, I'm picking up a single speed cx bike.

As for training, I'm riding on the trainer like twice a week, and xc skiing a couple days a week. Just trying to maintain some fitness until spring gets closer, and I start putting in some good base time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've added more and longer xc skiing to my training. 3 feet of snow outside my door is limiting my ride time outside severly, and the trainer is getting old very quick. I am very suprised at the average and max heart rates I can achieve while out there on the skinny skis, compaired to riding. Less than 2 months 'til my first mtb race of the year.
    Live slow, Race fast!

UK XC and 'cross rider
    my CX season has just finished and I'm exiting pretty fit. Now starting the early build up for the MTB racing season that starts in May. Spending a lot more time on the turbo plus a lot of road riding and have even signed up for a few TTs 'just for fun' ... actually, I'm interested to see how well I will do against the proper roadies. Have also signed up for a few other high mileage events in the meantime to keep it interesting.

I've not done much MTB over the winter - only a few snow rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB23
    I am very suprised at the average and max heart rates I can achieve while out there on the skinny skis, compaired to riding.
    Same here. The first time I used my heart rate monitor while skiing I had a avg of 150 and max 180.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Yup... still sick of riding the trainer...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Members who have read this thread: 0