Thread: Training Advice

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Training Advice

Hi I'm looking to use my commute more effectively for training and am looking for suggestions. I'm 6'1" 80kg and ride a giant anthem 0 for enduro style races from 3 - 6 hr. I don't have any access to HR monitor, power metre etc.
    I ride once or twice a week on my anthem for 3-4 hrs of singletrack in various places in Victoria Australia. I have a commute to work on my road bike which is 20km undulating with a couple of hills but nothing over 150m vertical. In winter (now) i'm doing this 4 times a week (80km total) and in warmer months 6-8 times a week.

I have a decent engine and think that building strength/endurance for hard efforts during the race would be targetting my weakness best.
    I haven't done much racing for 5 years or so and even then it was limited but I've got some 6hr and 3 hr races coming up and I'm keen to make the most of my commute to train for them.

At the moment I'm just maintaining as good of an average pace as possible and trying to use as big a cog as possible.

Any tips would be great! Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sounds like you are on the right path. How many hours a week are you on week in bike in off season?

I would try to invest in HR monitor.

Other wise (no HR monitir) see "Perceived Exertion" in chart in link below.
    Coggan Power Zones - Power Training Levels by Andrew Coggan | TrainingPeaks

I would try and focus on SST (Sweet Spot) in off season to get your FTP up.
    Sweet Spot Part Deux | FasCat Coaching :: Cycling Coach for all Cyclists

Articles below will help you.
    Peaks Coaching: Take Your Performance to the Next Level

http://www.peakscoachinggroup.com/Ar...20Training.pdf

As you get closer to race:
    Mountain Bike Power | FasCat Coaching :: Cycling Coach for all Cyclists

mtbr member
    Lightfoot, grab yourself a cheap HRM even a $70 Polar / Sigma will do, this will at least allow you to focus your time spent commuting on specific areas.

Whilst I don't get out a great deal I like to try and do my workouts in periods, and maximize my time on the bike, for instance I spent the last four weeks working heavily on steady state threshold intervals (5min to 20min long), and short Max Efforts (1 to 2mins). The next four weeks will be spent working on Sweet Spot intervals (10 to 30 min), and Over/Unders (10 to 20 mins) on top of this I try to throw one longer 3hr ride in per week usually on the MTB.

As above there is loads, and loads, and loads and loads of stuff online about training with HR, LT, Power, Perceived Effort, TSS, etc...

Where in Vic you from?
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Training Advice

Thanks for the links cubair and scottz im in geelong . yeah im thinking about a hr monitor but cash flow is short and saving for entry fees license etc. Ill see what I can do interval wise.
    I'm not timing my efforts yet just going as hard as I can for the hills and what feels like 70% for the rest of the time.

mtbr member
    Hahah yeah the entrance fees get a bit expensive at times; I am doing (or hoping to) do every round of the VES at $70ea (no MTBA License).... Adds up!

I'm in Geelong too, a Lara local here :-)

Here is a good chart to work out your Rating of Perceived Exertion, while YMMV my results are pretty similar to the chart given the relative heart rate or LTHR Zone.
    http://www.coachbuxton.com/Rating_of_PE.pdf
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Thanks culbaire that helps alot. My first race will be the wombat in a 4 team then the forrest festival and ill see how im enjoying it. If im looking to work my anaerobic threshold muscular endurance, what intervals would you sugfest as a starting point? Given the 20km/ 40min time frame. Im in leopold and ride to corio for work. I ride most weeks in the youyangs if you're interested in a ride one day. Ive not been riding with anyone who's into training for racing. Cheers

mtbr member
    I used to ride and race quite a lot of endurance racing when I was younger, I got back on the bike about a year ago after approx 5 years off. I've really only started getting a little more serious (if you could call it that) the last few months after suffering through the Crazy 6hr Solo. I've still got quite a few races to suffer though before I get even close to as quick as I was... But I do it because I enjoy it!

40 Minutes a few times a week is plenty of time to flog yourself... Especially if you are getting one or two bigger rides in.

You could start with...
    Maximum effort on / off, for instance complete max effort for 30 seconds / 1 / 2 / 3 minutes and then easy spin for similar time and repeat, lots... I like to do 3 sets of 5.

Over Unders - Slowly bring your intensity up to your Steady State heart rate range (LT). Maintain this intensity for the prescribed time (the interval time minus the OverTime), then increase your heart rate to your Climbing Repeat heart rate range (the OverTime) for the prescribed time.

For example, on a 5 minute interval with 1 minute of OverTime, go at Steady State HR for 4 minutes, then increase the HR into the Climbing Repeat range for the last minute and then repeat (can be done in blocks of 10/15/20 minutes with varying over under times i.e. 1 over / 2 under, etc..

Steady State Intervals
    Riding tempo, sweet spot, at or above your Lactate Threshold for a period of time, i.e. 5 / 8 / 10 / 15 / 20 minutes, do a few sets... i.e. 4 x 5mins, or 2 x 20mins.

The list goes on, and on and on and on... There are loads of threads on here about what works best, and for who. Something to keep in mind, MTB is just a series of intervals of varying lengths, intensity and the ability to recover.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Sweet I'll get on it. Just put a new bb in after destroying it in anglsea mud last week. Looking forward to smooth peddling! cheers :beer: