mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Training for a 20-30mile race next month

I'm good at climbing not great I ride with an average of 95rpm in cadence and my last ride 210rpm max cadence, Hr 135-185 any exercises you can recommend to help me with long distance climbs, I also plan on using a trainer with a elevation mask.

THANKS

Brant-C.
    well, don't know too many mtber's that watch their cadence. what i've done and tell other riders who ask is to get in a good rhythm that keeps your HR in a comfortable zone. most of the guys i ride/race with use more of a power/mashing technique since our trails and race courses are pretty rough. power through the rough stuff and get back into the comfort zone. if a rider/racer passes, grab their wheel...

that's my $.02... good luck.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

Formerly of Kent
    A trainer with an elevation mask is a terrible, ridiculous idea.

Simple exercise to get faster: 2x20min intervals. Better yet, buy one of Joe Friel's books, read it, understand it, and apply it to your training.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I can't help you much there, no extended climbing in DFW Texas haha.

What I can recommend is pacing yourself, like bcarononga suggested. Find the comfort zone and pace the race. 20-30 miles is quite different from 10-20.
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member

excelling on long climbs requires a large (sustainable power)/(body weight) ratio

Quote Originally Posted by BMSrider View Post
    I'm good at climbing not great I ride with an average of 95rpm in cadence and my last ride 210rpm max cadence, Hr 135-185 any exercises you can recommend to help me with long distance climbs, I also plan on using a trainer with a elevation mask.

THANKS
    Improving your aerobic threshold will help on long steady climbs. A high aerobic threshold means that you can put a lot of power into the pedals for a long time without getting tired.

Increasing threshold is everyone's goal on this forum and it ain't easy. How to do it? IMO, the training details depend on the individual physiology EXCEPT for the principle that you have to maximize your time on the bike. Spending a LOT of time on the bike (over 300 hours a year or more if your personal situation allows it) would be a the goal. This bike time would be spent at variety of intensities throughout most of the year, including some type of periodization in training volume and intensity to allow the body to get stronger. You might want to look at books by Joe Friel or Dave Morris or even consider buying the services of a coach as a way to figure out the best training approach for your physiology. Hanging out here and reading old threads is also a good way to learn about the various training approaches and theories.

BTW, dropping any excess weight will also be incredibly beneficial, especially on long climbs. As distasteful as disciplined eating might be, it is probably the easiest way to improve climbing performance.