mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Training for a 12 hour race?

Im 38 y/o. 5'8" and 200lbs. OK shape. I have a Specialized Epic Disc with Avid Juicy & all XTR components. Ive done 2 adventure races, pooorly. Now I wanna try one for real. 12 hours of Razorback is in Febuary of 2007. 2/3 in day and 1/3 in night. I live in S.Florida so no hills to train on... How do I train? Seriously.

mbabaracus
    I can't tell you how to train but I heavilly suggest you pre-ride razorback so you know what your getting into. The short-loop (about six miles) can be done by intermediate mountain bikers pretty easily but the long loop (11+ miles) contains some insane terrain that is down-right dangerous (in my opinion) to the non-expert rider. It would be doubly dangerous if you are exausted such as in an endurance event. I also ride an epic and find it perfect for the short-loop and mighty inadequate on the long-loop where I would like more slack in the head angle and more travel in the suspension. Just my experience. You may be perfectly comfortable on that stuff. Find out which loop they'll have you running and pre-ride it so you know what you're in for. Good-luck, have fun.

bm

XCdude

Well is very easy you have to ride a lot

Quote Originally Posted by carrp12000
    Im 38 y/o. 5'8" and 200lbs. OK shape. I have a Specialized Epic Disc with Avid Juicy & all XTR components. Ive done 2 adventure races, pooorly. Now I wanna try one for real. 12 hours of Razorback is in Febuary of 2007. 2/3 in day and 1/3 in night. I live in S.Florida so no hills to train on... How do I train? Seriously.
    judging by your weight, you havent been riding a lot or even that much. I will say you have to step to at least 8 hours per week until you eventually get to around 15-18 hrs per week. You need some long rides 5 hrs plus, becuse if you don´t build your endurance you are going to die out there. You will need to lose at least 20 lbs, but the riding and some careful eating will do that. Here is a link that will help you, is enough time left that you can have a good race.
    http://cptips.com/toc.htm#trntips

mtbr member
    mbabaracus had it right, you really should go and pre-ride that trail. I raced that even this year and i am planning on goign back and doing it again this year. I have done a few 12 hour solo races but there is now way i will be doing that one solo. I did it on a team this year and will be doing it again on one. There are some very interesting sections out there.

Like moad said, you need to speed alot of time on the bike, doing long rides. That is the best way to train for events like this. If you already have the bike handling skills then get on the road bike and ride you butt off. You don't have to loose the weight but it will help you out, don't worry about dropping the weight it will come off with all the riding you have to do to get ready for the race. During this time you also need to think about what you are going to be eating during the event, use your long rides to test out what foods will keep you going without upsetting you gut. Well that is my 2 cents, hope it helps you out.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I trained extensively with a freind that did the 24 hour thing. I don't/didn't do them myself, but I know what he went through. We did two or three sets of intervals a week, plus a long two or three hour road ride every week. He also hit the gym a fair bit. My buddy placed as high as second in one event, he was very dedicated. His biggest problem was an attitude against the big S which caused him no end of grief cause he was running early sram. Your bike needs to be stone cold reliable.

Psychologically endurance is a weird place to go. My freind hallucinated quite a bit, so he says, and certainly looked like a zombie at 4 am. Have fun with the pain too. After my buddy's water blisters on his hands broke, he had the 'pleasure' of wearing into the meat of his hands.

24 solo is pretty cool though. I don't know if you've heard of John Stamstead (he's famous), but he raced and won the solo event at hardwood where my freinds won the 4 man event. His lap times were faster than the 4 friends for the first half. Incredible. My freind I trained with might as well have walked the course by comparison.

Drew

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    they usually offer a 6 hour class for that race as well. So if you have no lights like me you can do the 6 hour solo.

Members who have read this thread: 0