mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Trainer workouts

I've been riding my rollers 2-3 times a week now and am looking for some new workouts to try. If you've got some good/effective trainer workouts share them here. Here's one of my routine winter trainer rides. It's purpose is to hopefully improve muscular endurance/long steady climbs. resistance is increased from week to week as needed.

10min w.u.
    3 x 20min x 5min. use a gear that keeps cadence around 75 and Hr top of Z3 bottom Z4 Halfway through each 20min WI increase resistance, cadence 70, HR Z4. 5min rest interval between sets, I like to get off and stretch.
    10min c.d.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've *ehem* heard, that Spinervals and CTS videos can be found as torrents online............

The Spinervals "no slackers" video kicked me ass earlier today.
    Canuck in the homeland

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Some workouts from cyclingnews.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks, these look good. I'll have to try one out, maybe tonight

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Spinervals Classics I have been using off season for years and can be found on Ebay etc.
    "No slackers", "The Uphill Grind, " and "Menal Toughness" The first two are around 45minutes and MT is around 90mins, the absolute limit of trainer riding for me. I would like to check out the newer Climbing series by CTS, and I think it would be cool if CTS would do a video series out that corresponds to the Time Crunched book.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Anything by Troy Jacobsen is good, really good. He's a sadistic bastard.

I still regularly use his Cyclerobics workout from '98........

a nasty 45 minute 'fun-fest' that I and friends have almost puked from doing.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My first set of rollers should be here this week. I've also been looking around for some good workouts. This one intrigued me.

http://fasterlongerstronger.blogspot...-get-your.html

I am going to stay clipped in for the one-legged drill at least to start.

mtbr member
    i do step ups and i do squats with no weight I also do pull ups and push ups..I've realized the stronger my core is the easier it is to do anything whether it be endurance or strenuous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tried this one today:

http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-s...wnward-spiral/

Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coryell
    I've been riding my rollers 2-3 times a week now and am looking for some new workouts to try. If you've got some good/effective trainer workouts share them here. Here's one of my routine winter trainer rides. It's purpose is to hopefully improve muscular endurance/long steady climbs. resistance is increased from week to week as needed.

10min w.u.
    3 x 20min x 5min. use a gear that keeps cadence around 75 and Hr top of Z3 bottom Z4 Halfway through each 20min WI increase resistance, cadence 70, HR Z4. 5min rest interval between sets, I like to get off and stretch.
    10min c.d.
    Carmichael and Jacobsen videos are decent, but do you want to really get into a zone while on the trainer. Check out http://www.racedayrush.com, register (it's free) and look at the Studio series link. If you adhere to the RPE guidelines and push yourself, you will get a kick @ss workout on the stationary and it's real. Real evelation, real intervals, and real exertion. And some real eye candy to go with it. If you can't find the Studio Series link, it's here...

http://www.racedayrush.com/train/ind...=106&Itemid=66

Do a pay per view if you want to get a feel for things...

Neil
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    I just got a power meter recently and have been doing the following:

3x20 min at like 80% of FTP. Usually works well for watching movies.
    1-1-2-5-2-1-1 min intervals at max sustainable power with 4x the time for recovery in between each (recovery at like 50% FTP). This one is a ****ing killer.

FTP = functional threshold power.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

sharkfin

Quote Originally Posted by coryell
    I've been riding my rollers 2-3 times a week now and am looking for some new workouts to try. If you've got some good/effective trainer workouts share them here.
    I have the attention span of a 12 year old kid off his Ritalin so I need to constantly change pace in order to keep my mind engaged. So this workout is great for me, probably not so great for someone who wants to get on the rollers and zone out. Its a good solid hour of highly variable work without making my skull split open from boredom. You really need a power meter to do it right but you could improvise with HR, speed or perceived exertion:

Warm up
    1 min @ L2 = endurance pace
    1 min @ L3 = tempo
    1 min @ SST = sweet spot (upper-end of tempo)
    1 min @ L4 = time trial threshold
    1 min @ L5 = a "notch" above threshold, climbing pace, vo2max power, etc
    Repeat 12x, no recovery b/t sets
    Cool down

I originally got the idea from looking at my power data from a fast-moving roadie paceline. Just a little recovery, ramp up till it hurts, just a little recovery, repeat... I call it the sharkfin as you can imagine how the power graph would look:

The L2 and L3 are just barely enough to allow some recovery. The constantly changing rhythm, keeping track of your spot, etc gives your brain something to do and the variation helps with pacing.

mtbr member
    Ouch!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stig
    that's what I've been using it works great for me. they also have a new one out "fight club" that's supposed to be even harder, I think I'm going to download the new one tomorrow...

mtbr member
    Since I am still working on Base 1, this time of the year, its two hours on the trainer 3xwk at zone 2 or 3. On the hour, I'll do 30 secs on/off max intervals several times and then use the second hour back down to Z2. Rest of the week is high cadence, low resistance, and weights...
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    the RealRides dvds are fantastic. (the one i have came with my cycleops) Much more mentally stimulating than just watching a bunch of guys in a room spinning while an instructor barks at you.

The camera is on a bike during a real race (crit race in the one I have) and the rider talks you through it, how hard you pedal and when. The hour goes by really fast.
    I even had to keep myself from turning the handlebars with the onscreen rider at first

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob
    Since I am still working on Base 1, this time of the year, its two hours on the trainer 3xwk at zone 2 or 3. On the hour, I'll do 30 secs on/off max intervals several times and then use the second hour back down to Z2. Rest of the week is high cadence, low resistance, and weights...

I'm with you.

Dropshot Champ!
    +3 for the sufferfest. **** works your ass off. It's FUN. It keeps you engaged.

And when you hop off, you know you just had a REALLY good workout.