mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Trainer to be used with Whyte e120

I want to get a fluid trainer for use over winter and I would like to use the bike I ride most often, on it, which is a custom built bike on the whyte e120 frame with the big gripper latched rear drop outs.

Is this a problem?

What trainer do you recomend?

Budget not overly important.

Cheers

Nick

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just thought I would bump this... hopefully someone can give me some advice.
    Cheers, in advance.
    Nick

wants a taco
    thow up a pic of the dropouts and you should be able to get a couple replys. It sounds like the dropouts might be kind of strange and i cant find a good pic online to see how they look

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

wants a taco
    it looks like any trainer should be able to work with your bike fine. Idealy if there is a shop close by take your bike down there and give it a go but like i said, it looks like it shouldnt be a problem

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks was going to buy online so will have to take a punt....
    Now what trainer

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Get Rollers. I put slicks on my 575 and ride on the rollers for most of the winter. Its a way better workout than a trainer because you're actually steering the bike. Its helped my balance a lot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    can you still watch the box with rollers... would feel a real twat if I injured my self in my living room.
    what rollers do you use?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have the PVC model from CycleOps (http://www.saris.com/c-7-rollers.aspx?skinid=2). The rollers took about 20 to 30 minutes to gain confidence on and now I'm good to go. At first it felt like riding on ice.

I watch TV while I ride; as long as you point the rollers in the direction of the tube you'll be fine. Another benefit of the rollers is you put zero stress on your frame. It also makes you much smoother when pedaling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    how do you get started... is it easy? can see me accidentally cycling through the plate glass window in our living room

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    To start, set the rollers between a door frame. You have to stabilize yourself with one hand on the wall to get going. At first the rollers are scary and frustrating; that only lasts about 5-10 minutes though. Once you get the hang of it you can relax and really start cranking. I've seen people ride with no hands!

I personally can't get started without using something to stabilize myself until I get a rotation on the cranks. I don't know what others do but I set a vacuum cleaner beside the rollers so I can grab the handle to push off. This way I can set them up in the middle of the living room. I can't ride “no-handed” yet but I have been focusing on pedaling with one leg. The rollers force you to be smooth and balanced no matter what you’re doing. Getting off is simple (that’s what she said); you basically just grab the brakes, unclip and step down.

Get a set and you won’t regret it. If you do get tired of having to keep your balance CycleOps makes an adapter that grabs your front fork. You have to take your front wheel off and, if I remember correctly, attach your fork to a quick release setup. It bassically turns your rollers into something more similar to a trainer.