..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004

Trainer suggestions, cycleops fluid 2, kurt kinetic road machine

Which is better for a mt bike (with slicks).

Any recommendations welcome (for use with mt bike).

Would like to be able to just spin or put in hard efforts if that's possible with any of them... I don't know, only tried 1 mag trainer before. Long term durability, less maintenance and overall performance more important than price.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyBiker

Would like to be able to just spin or put in hard efforts if that's possible with any of them... I don't know, only tried 1 mag trainer before. Long term durability, less maintenance and overall performance more important than price.
    I like my CycleOps Fluid2. I wrote a review of it here:

http://norcalmtnbikeracing.blogspot....2-trainer.html

The resistance unit gets pretty hot sometimes, but I like the movement and it's held up nicely.
    /k
    NorCal MTB Racing Blog & MTBcalendar.com
    http://norcalmtnbikeracing.blogspot.com/
    http://www.mtbcalendar.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Thanks
    Well, I used to have a Fluid 2, then bought a Road Machine because I was doing the "Spinnervals" videos, and thought that I should use the same trainer as they used.
    Well let me tell you..... that was a waste of $!!! The two are vertually the same... different sound while riding, and you can tighten the Fluid 2 down on your tire tighter. The fluid 2 also has a better quick-release. So my advice is get whatever one you like, or can get a better deal on. For me it was just a waste of $ going from one to the other. YMMV.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    Fluid2 sounds like it's in the lead. Thanks for the replies and comparison.

Any other suggestions of other trainers (mag, fluid or otherwise) that provide enough resistance for some hard efforts on a mt bike and hold up over time?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

1up USA

Try 1up USA.

http://www.1upusa.com/

It folds down tighter than the Kurt (not sure about the Fluid trainer) and mine has lasted 3 years of hard training in the winter time. It has enough resistance that I can easily get my HR or Power into Zone 4.

..probably out riding..
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xc_burner
    Try 1up USA.

http://www.1upusa.com/

It folds down tighter than the Kurt (not sure about the Fluid trainer) and mine has lasted 3 years of hard training in the winter time. It has enough resistance that I can easily get my HR or Power into Zone 4.
    Is it stable?

I was reading up on those, seems some have a problem with the disc pad. I don't trust the reviews at mtbr, many seem like they might be bogus... There's more reviews on this trainer than others that I know are in wider use and nationally distributed and available from retailers rather than just the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Never had a problem

Well, I've never had a problem. It's very stable and after three years of use I would expect any problems to have shown up. It has stood up to some extremely tough riding and many hours and miles. I know that 1up's customer service is top notch also. I've talked to the owner a couple of times about different questions and he as always been very helpful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have the Road machine and really like it. I use it with slicks and my wife uses it with knobbies. Works well with either tire for us.This si the only trainer I have tried but I see no reason to change.

mtbr member

Fluid 2 is a good choice

Thanks
    I am currently riding a Fluid 2 with my FS Giant NRS. I am not sure about the Kurt, but I have nothing bad to say about the Fluid. Bike mounts off and on with no problems. I have a rear slick on right now and have been riding it for a few months. Like one of the others mentioned, the tension is easily adjusted via the adjustment screw and can be modified with your choice of rings you are running in. Just my $0.02...

Neil