mtbr member

Trainer suggestions

I am looking for advice on a good indoor cycle trainer. Don't want to spend a bundle ($300-ish) but want something good. I saw the CycloOps Fluid 2 for $290 got good reviews. Anyone have experience with this or have suggestions for a better unit? Will be using it with a 26" hard tail with a slick.

Thanks!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    97 GT Avalanche - Stock
    09 GF Paragon - Stock

Photog Cyclist.
    All trainers suck!!!! But if you get a good brand name it will serve you fine. CycloOps, Blackburne, Minoura, Kurt Kinetic....... I have both rollers and a trainer break up the monotony.
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Just got a cycleops jetfluid pro trainer that is new this year... only have a few rides on it but the resistance is really nice. Maintaining 20 mph is much harder than on my previous mag trainer. Make sure it is a fluid trainer and one with a good warranty just in case.

Brant-C.
    i have the 1up; have used it since 2007. no problems. when i first started using it i had a mtb with slick.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

MattSavage
    Bonktown has been closing out a Blackburn Mag trainer for 79 bucks lately, retails for around 180. I picked one up. Works well enough and not a big investment since I'd never used one and wasn't sure I'd be into it...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    1up for me too. You get what you pay for with cycle trainers. the 1up is a simple design and is solid. You just have to decide on how many cycle trainers you want to buy. Buy a P.O.S. trainers and you will have to buy another. Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I like my CycleOps Fluid 2. I went to REI and tried out a few and didn't notice any real differences.

Photog Cyclist.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    1up for me too. You get what you pay for with cycle trainers. the 1up is a simple design and is solid. You just have to decide on how many cycle trainers you want to buy. Buy a P.O.S. trainers and you will have to buy another. Just sayin'

Respectfully I have to disagree. My rollers are 12+ years old and the work just wonderfully. My stationary trainer was a mid-level Blackburne with a Mag resistance unit, and it has been solid as hell. Stick with a good brand name and get one with a Mag resistance unit, they are quieter than the wind units and cheaper than a fluid unit. I have tried both the Mag and fluid and not much difference in my opinion. But try them for yourself.
    [SIZE="4"]We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    [/SIZE][SIZE="2"](Tim Mcgraw)[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    My nashbar $120 trainer was awesome. I replaced it with the new cyclops trainer last year and see only a slight difference. The cyclops is definitely louder. Cyclops packs ups up easier and much easier to mount bike, but other than that, I wish I just kept my nashbar trainer. Worked just fine.

Sep 2008
    Kurt Kinetic has a lifetime unconditional warranty. I pick mine up on e-bay for $255 New in box. The fluid drum has a Mag coupling and has no seals to leak,,,

mtbr member
    I have a Kurt Kinetic Rock-and-Roll trainer. Went with the demo unit for under $300...and it still had the lifetime warranty. My wife bought it directly from Kurt Kinetic. They don't always have them in stock though.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    1up....it handles all I can put out...and more.