mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Trainer/Rollers or Both??

Looking to maximize bike time this winter. With work and family commitments I am thinking some indoor riding time is inevitable.

My max budget would be around $300. What is the consensus on the best choice between say a nice trainer (Fluid 2/Kurt Kinetic) or having something more middle of the road (Performance house brand fluid trainer) and a set of rollers (in the same ballpark as the Performance trainer).

Is there a benefit of having both rollers and a trainer or are they too similar? Is the extra investment worth it for the Kurt Kinetic and Cyclops?

Thanks.

ride all day
    Sep 2011

Trainer/Rollers or Both??

I have a set of rollers and it really helps with pedaling technique. Rollers aren't great for hard efforts, but more for endurance/technique/recovery work. Rollers aren't as boring though due to needing concentration to stay on and they are a more realistic road feel and aren't as hard on tires. Trainers are better for interval work and their is no learning curve to it. Tire wear is quicker. So if you are just gonna get one go for trainer due to more versatility and more compact

mtbr member
    To build on what ridonkulus said, I have the Performance house brand trainer and it works for me. Just realized its 8 years old, so its durable also. The miles are boring, and I fill the void w/ youtube MTB races. The trainer really helps with spinning circles also. After a month or two off the trainer, I feel my bad form when I return. I'm going to include the trainer more into my schedule next year. Less time required for a workout.

mtbr member

Trainer/Rollers or Both??

Rollers with a fork stand and you can do all types of training including all out standing efforts. I have a full krietler set up with the fan, flywheel, and fork stand. Love it. Not cheap though.

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of rollers for many of the reasons mentioned above (more realistic feel, makes you balance, etc.) Also, you can still go pretty hard on them as long as you pay attention to what you are doing. But if you're talking about head down, all out efforts, then yeah, probably better off with a trainer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have both. The rollers are what you want if you only get one. I use the rollers for the same above reasons and the trainer for super hard efforts like intervals and sprints.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone so far for the great, thoughtful input. Lots to consider.

mtbr member
    I went ahead and snagged the trainer/rollers combo from Performance. Looking forward to getting some quality time on both this winter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    rollers are great for riding in the peloton on the road...lane discipline. also mental focus. riding rollers will never slow you down as an mtb'er....it's all good. if you do spend time on rollers be sure to operate things with each hand...water bottle or TV remote while pedaling...and do no handed stuff. train all your nerves and balance at the same time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    E-Motion rollers form InsideRide are easy rollers to learn on and are much more difficult to fall off of (but not impossible). With E-Motion hard standing intervals can be done but you will need a bit of practice to work up to them. Downside is that it is a expensive setup @ $850 unless you can find one used.

Home - www.insideride.com

mtbr member
    Been getting some sessions on each and really enjoying it . The rollers are still a bit of a challenge to start but no major incidents...yet .

Work and family responsibilities can make it tough to get out during daylight so these have been great for that. Much easier sometimes than to get all geared up for a night ride.

Thanks again for all the input. Appreciating everyone's insight.