mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Trainer Computer Question

Hi All,

Just started using a Kinetics Road Machine (excellent!) to supplement my winter fitness. I am a bit old school when it comes to electronics and such so don't flame too hard, but what are you folks using to track speed and distance from the rear wheel rotation.

Thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I use a Garmin Edge 500 with the speed/cadence sensor mounted on the chain stay. Magnets on the wheel and crank arm. GPS is turned off.
    2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3
    2009 GT Peace 9R SS
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 4, Lefty Max TPC

mtbr member
    yes, you need a rear wheel sensor computer.

The Cateye Stada fits the bill for about 40 bucks which also gives cadence. Wireless cost more. I have wired one sitting in my bike room.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I still make popcorn on the stove so you can see where I'm coming from with technology. The Strada sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I was running a cheap bike computer for a while. I mounted the sensor on the back wheel. The cable was on the short side so I ended up mounting it on the top tube. Sweat eventually corroded the contacts between the head unit and wires.

Now, I use a garmin forerunner 405. I don't track wheel speed and instead focus on heart rate for intensity. I would love to go to power but it is not in my budget. I may invest in http://www.cycleops.com/en/products/.../powercal.html for next year. It is not true power but reviews I have read, it sounds like it gives a little closer to effort measure.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Speed and cadence alone mean next to nothing on the trainer. Start using something like TrainerRoad to setup a virtual power curve to really get a gauge on effort.