mtbr member
    Oct 2012

train for 2 months

I will be having a 40+km race in 2 months, help me improve my training plan

4 weeks base 75%hr for 10-12hrs a week, 5 days a week
    3 weeks build tabata 20/10 8 times, 4 times a week
    1 week tapering short high intensity ride

Formerly of Kent
    I have to ask, why aren't you doing tempo or threshold training? I'd be doing that twice a week, pretty much every week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks, I think I should do it

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blurxc11 View Post
    I will be having a 40+km race in 2 months, help me improve my training plan

4 weeks base 75%hr for 10-12hrs a week, 5 days a week
    3 weeks build tabata 20/10 8 times, 4 times a week
    Like Le Duke said

Lots of this
    Sweet Spot Part Deux | FasCat Coaching :: Cycling Coach for all Cyclists

See #2 in link below on threshold (whole article is good)
    Peaks Coaching: Take Your Performance to the Next Level

Article on Tabata
    Effects of Moderate-Intensity Endurance and High-Intensity Intermitten Training on Anaerobic Capacity and VO2 Max - Research Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

This post helped me a lot - see "daveryanwyoming" response in my post below
    Preparing for first MTB race of the season

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I do not have a power meter, what should be the hr% to do sweet spot?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have updated my training plan, help me improve it

4 weeks 75% - 85% hr for 10-12hrs a week, 5 days a week
    3 weeks tabata 20/10 8 times and some sprint, 2 times a week, plus lots of threshold training 4 times a week

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I do not have a power meter, what should be the hr% to do sweet spot?

Hunter Allen says SST HR 90-95% of FTHR (Threshold HR). Example: My LTHR on trainer (steady state) is 'about low to mid 180's bpm'. SST rides on trainer about low 170's. Ex: When I go out on road, I cannot avoid hills so give myself a range of about 160 to 175bpm

2 months to race is getting close (Time to build) what have you been doing to date? Age? Training history?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the reply, I just finished a race 1 week ago, it was a fast paced race 40+km where, in the first 8-10km, we are hitting 50km/hr, I placed in top 40 out of 2,000, got lost and crashed, then another 40+km race in 2 months, age 31, for the previous race, I followed the same training as my original post, I am trying to get to podium by improving my training

mtbr member
    I have updated my training plan, help me improve it

4 weeks 75% - 85% hr for 10-12hrs a week, 5 days a week
    Try a pattern of 12, 15-16, 12, 8 (hours) for those 4 weeks. I'm a big fan of aerobic volume. You may be able to throw in 2-3 tempo or threshold workouts per week, within that volume. I find Tempo to be pretty beneficial and may be more appropriate in light of the big volume.

3 weeks tabata 20/10 8 times and some sprint, 2 times a week, plus lots of threshold training 4 times a week
    12, 12, 8 (hours) for those three weeks. I think that's too much intensity there. Go for 3 (maybe 4) interval days per week: 2 thresholds, 1 tabatha.

Keep it at 8 hours. throw in some short-hard intensity as well. If your racing on Saturday it's nice to throw in a short midweek race on the Wednesday before.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the reply, I just finished a race 1 week ago, it was a fast paced race 40+km where, in the first 8-10km, we are hitting 50km/hr, I placed in top 40 out of 2,000, got lost and crashed, then another 40+km race in 2 months, age 31, for the previous race, I followed the same training as my original post, I am trying to get to podium by improving my training
    I am in the states so have to convert metric (50km/hr = 30mph) Where are you hitting these speeds @ in MTB race? At start, fireroad? How long does it take you to complete 40km race?

With that amount of volume, Ponch is right with varying hours per week.

I would think of matching intervals to type of terrain. If you are cruising on fire roads @ 30mph (?), I would think a lot of threshold type work, then fine tune with VO2 max type workouts (your best 5 min pace, then do 6 sets of 3m @ your 5min pace with 3m recovery between, maybe on steady hill).

As far as Tabata/Anaerobic is concerned, I agree with Ponch that is to much. I cannot see you being very sharp doing tabata 4 times a week, especially if you are doing 10+ hrs a week.

Quote from link below:
    " Basically, the Tabata group improved for 3 weeks and then plateaued despite a continuingly increasing workload."
    "First and foremost, there’s no doubt that while the steady state group only improved VO2 max, it did not improve anaerobic capacity; this is no shock based on the training effect to be expected. And while the Tabata protocol certainly improved both, not only did the Tabata group still end up with a lower VO2 at the end of the study, they only made progress for 3 weeks before plateauing on VO2 max and 4 weeks for anaerobic capacity."
    Effects of Moderate-Intensity Endurance and High-Intensity Intermitten Training on Anaerobic Capacity and VO2 Max - Research Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

If you are doing any training off-road once or twice a week, steep climbs and technical sections may give you all the anaerobic work you need- and that would be most ideal, training specifically to your event.

Sample week?
    Mon - 30m rec spin
    Tues - VO2 max intervals with warm up and cool down - 1.5hr (I know not the same, but could be off road ride 1.5 - 2hr)
    Wed - Road Zone 2 - 2hr
    Thurs - SST or Threshold - 1.5hr
    Fri - 30m rec spin
    Sat - Off road ride 2 hr (or could be SST intervals on road for example)
    Sun - Z2 endurance ride - 3hr

That is 10hrs, not counting recovery spins. How does your week compare?

Remember, per Hunter Allen
    "When we examine the overall picture of fitness, it’s really your threshold power that holds you back from that next level. "
    Hunter Allen Peaks Coaching Group: The Next Level

Just my 2 cents....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks Poncharelli and scottz123, last race was fast pace because there are a lot of road, 50km/h is being hit at the start(road), next race, i doubt will be the same, I agree with Poncharelli, based on my current state and race experience, lots of aerobic volume is good, in the race, I feel like I can push more and recover faster. I will try to digest first all this info and try to come up with a training plan that fits me at my current state

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks Poncharelli and scottz123, last race was fast pace because there are a lot of road, 50km/h is being hit at the start(road), next race, i doubt will be the same, I agree with Poncharelli, based on my current state and race experience, lots of aerobic volume is good, in the race, I feel like I can push more and recover faster. I will try to digest first all this info and try to come up with a training plan that fits me at my current state
    A recent article on the Training Peaks (Joe Friel's company) blog "How to Start Mountain Bike Training with Power" mentions the 'build period' that you are in.

"Build Period

In the Build period do workouts that become increasingly like the race. This usually involves intervals that match the demands of the race for which you are training. Once you have power data accumulated from your races you’ll be able to more accurately determine the duration and intensity of these intervals and the recovery time between them.

During the Build period do a weekly aerobic endurance workout to maintain EF (Efficiency Factor) and a weekly Sweet Spot session to keep your FTP high. The other workouts will be racelike or recovery (zone 1)."

It's a good article describing base, build, and peak (tapering), etc.

How to Start Mountain Bike Training withÂ*Power - Posts - TrainingPeaks Blog

I should have known better. I apologize for suggesting to much endurance work (Z2)

This Friel article gets right to the point:
    "I have to say this often because it seems most athletes do not fully understand how important it is: For the advanced athlete how long your workouts are and how many miles, kilometers or hours you train in a week is not the ultimate determiner of how race-fit you are – intensity is. Do not become focused on duration or volume. Trying to continually increase these two in the Build period will not adequately prepare you for a fast race. To race fast you must train fast, not slow and long. Training must become increasingly like the race" Joe Friel

Joe Friel - Workouts