Thread: Top tube length

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Top tube length

What are your thoughts on top tube length and ride quality? Looking at all of the different mountain bikes you see some differences of 1/4" to almost 3/4" differences in top tube lengths for a large frame. I prefer my bikes to have a balance of efficiency and responsive handling. Can these differences be customized with different sized stems and fore/aft seat adjustments? How do you think this will handle the ride and fit?

Thanks,
    Jon

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I think its more about finding a bike that fits you.

I used to ride a large trek with alot of seatpost because the xl just felt too big and I didnt feel like i could handle it very well.

Now I ride and xl Titus but even though it is the same nominal size (21" I think) the titus has a shorter top tube and fits me better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You should also be looking at seattube and head angles, headtube length, chainstay length, whether the seatpost has any setback or not, stem length, how wide and what kind of handlebar, etc etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flargle
    You should also be looking at seattube and head angles, headtube length, chainstay length, whether the seatpost has any setback or not, stem length, how wide and what kind of handlebar, etc etc.
    +1
    Fit really does encompass everything mentioned. Sta is often overlooked and it does affect reach and CG on the bike, weight on the hands etc. Human's as I discussed with Sheldon Brown before he died are highly adaptive creatures. I am less focused on handling nuances than I am about how well a cockpit fits me. I will adjust to handling within a given range. I am 6'1 and ride a Large 19.5" Trek 6000 with 625mm top tube and 73 degree sta with seat pushed back on a slightly offset post. I ride with a 110mm stem with a 6 deg backsweep 630mm bar. Wider the bar, shorter the stem. More the bar sweeps back, longer the stem needs to be. Saddle to bar drop matters for reach.
    There are many factors to dial in your fit. My bike shows a lot of post but believe it is the correct size for my long legged body.
    Here's a pic...its a new bike and still dialing in the fit:

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the input guys. A lot of variables to consider, will review carefully with the LBS.