more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Todd Wells Retiring..

mtbr member
    I congratulated him on his Facebook page and he replied. I've had the honor of being in the starting pack with him a couple of times. There is a void in American XC racing left to be filled, and he is a world-class gentleman.

My other ride
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    I congratulated him on his Facebook page and he replied. I've had the honor of being in the starting pack with him a couple of times. There is a void in American XC racing left to be filled, and he is a world-class gentleman.
    Hearing names like that get called up, and then hearing mine is very creepy. Made me really feel like an imposter.

Which I am.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Seeing pics of guys like Wells going that fast on 2" fork 26er HT in bad conditions around the globe make you realize who's the real deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yea I have met him a couple times at Bonelli after his race and he is always super cool, approachable, allowed pictures and just seems like a overall nice dude. He seems to be a great family guy too. He was the top US rider for a long time and represented USA well. He will be missed in the racing scene. I would not be surprised to see him announce or still be involved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Hearing names like that get called up, and then hearing mine is very creepy. Made me really feel like an imposter.

Which I am.
    That's the beauty of XC racing. Even in the top classes there is a huge spectrum of capacities, fitness levels, and skills. You belong there and for your small part you make the race just like Wells does.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Got to meet him at Mellow Johnny's XC a couple years back, then stayed at the same hotel with him and his mechanic for Marathon Nationals this year. Always a real down to earth guy, loved chatting about all things off and on the bike, especially craft beer and mexican food...

Definitely a void to fill with him departing BUT he's paved the way for the younger crowd to follow if the industry will allow it.