Giant Anthem

Tired legs, 2 races to go-my season is on the line

Over training/overreaching; I did it again. I didn't take a long enough break mid season after my build periods and now it caught up to me. (cant believe i did this again!) My legs are tired and my last 2 race performances sucked because my legs are not recovering. They lost the "pop". I'm a top sport guy ready to go expert next season, trying to win out my series points; what would you do in this situation? I have 2 more races over the next 2 weeks (long season here) and I just had a race yesterday. I'm 39 so recovery is a bit longer than 5 years ago.

I'm thinking of taking as much rest as possible but not too much or my legs will cramp and feel horrible for next weeks race. I was thinking 3 days off then an endurance ride mid week and some easier leg openers 2 days before race. Honestly this might be too much the way it's going. I'm in the "hole" here so maybe taking the whole week off might work?

Have you been here before and whats worked for you?

Thanks guys
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've learned over the years that the best thing to do is to take some short, easy recovery rides for a week or so to freshen the legs. Maybe some rides with some technical challenge, but not much aerobic challenge. Don't take time completely off, your legs won't like it.

You just have to resist the urge to put to much stress on yourself because of the anxiety that may come with resting. I have planned weeks like the one you're suggesting many times, only to turn that endurance ride into a 4+ hour hard ride, and the openers into a VO2 max workout. Just have faith, rest, and let the form come.

It's about showing up.
    Your endurance is where it is. You will just beat yourself up with a mid-week endurance ride and will be shot for the race.The hardest thing is going to be to get you to not do your endurance ride. I'm not sure about your lack of rest off-season but you can now use this as a reason for your problem, ignore the idea of rest and tune-up rides, and do your endurance ride anyhow.

It is so hard to get highly motivated riders to back off; it is counter to their drive. Riding hard is their solution to everything.

Just sayin'.......
    I don't rattle.

nOOb
    May 2008
    Take it easy. At this point you can't really add any fitness or speed by continuing to push, but you sure can hurt it further. I would take Monday off, ride an easy hour Tuesday, rest or go for a walk Wednesday, ride an easy hour or so Thursday, and the day before the race ride an hour and open it up a little bit to see how you feel. If you feel good and rarin' to go, you're probably still not 100% so keep it in check until race day
    I know this feeling oh too well. Try to get lots of sleep this week also. Eat light and keep the protein up, maybe take it out on the ol' lady if you want to get your heart rate up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cordygen vo2 ultra, no leg burn. Great for recovery, upping VO2 and blocking lactate acid. Dont for your vitamins.

mtbr member
    Avoid trail riding. Ride flat roads, pavement or dirt. 90+ RPM Zone 1-2 mostly, and limit to 1 hour.

I also like throwing in some openers as well on Tuesday and Thursday, like 4 1-min intervals; and some Friday 4X10s openers. It seems counterproductive to add intensity, but for me, the majority zone 2 will get me fresher, while the openers keeps some sharpness. It's less than 9 minutes of intensity over 4 hours, so it's not much.

It's the longer Tempoish type rides that overloads the legs, IMO.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 10-10-2011 at 08:23 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member

In addition to taking it easy

Try to get 10 hours of sleep every night, even if you have to take a tylenol PM.

nOOb
    May 2008
    Benadryl

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Sore Legs No More

I'm 51 and officially went Cat 1 this year. About three years ago I suffered a bout of Sciatica during a year of SS and also came to find out my Sacroiliac was out of adjustment. What has really helped me excell in the past year and a half has been periodic deep tissue massages, and have the person do hamstring and hip flexor stretches. I get them during training periods and usually a week or two before a race, depending on time and soreness. Just had one today, will do a training ride tomorrow and a 6hr race on Sat. You would be surprised at how much of a difference it can make. If you can't do that, get a "STICK" roller and massage yourself, especially your IT bands. Also be sure to do some hamstring stretches bending at the hip lifting your leg to a ledge, not doing bent over toe touches, that just hurts your back. Drink plenty of water to hydrate your muscles too.
    Unicoi29

Giant Anthem
    Quote Originally Posted by kamakazeesugar View Post
    I'm 51 and officially went Cat 1 this year. About three years ago I suffered a bout of Sciatica during a year of SS and also came to find out my Sacroiliac was out of adjustment. What has really helped me excell in the past year and a half has been periodic deep tissue massages, and have the person do hamstring and hip flexor stretches. I get them during training periods and usually a week or two before a race, depending on time and soreness. Just had one today, will do a training ride tomorrow and a 6hr race on Sat. You would be surprised at how much of a difference it can make. If you can't do that, get a "STICK" roller and massage yourself, especially your IT bands. Also be sure to do some hamstring stretches bending at the hip lifting your leg to a ledge, not doing bent over toe touches, that just hurts your back. Drink plenty of water to hydrate your muscles too.
    Yep, I get a massage once a week already, it really does help!
    Racing and Training Blog

Giant Anthem
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. It's really a tightrope walk balancing between proper training and recovery. I got my weekly massage and took 3 days off, today I'll do an easy ride then the day before the race do another easy short ride and then we'll see how sat race goes.
    Racing and Training Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    how did it go?

Giant Anthem
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossup41 View Post
    how did it go?
    Thanks for the follow up reminder. I rested all week from the previous race and did a easy half hour spin the day before the race. I was convinced I'd feel horrible taking tis much time off but my legs felt rested and sorta fresh. Because of trail maintenance the course didn't have the crazy climb each lap to deal with... so I ended up not doing too bad, getting second in the race and 2nd overall in sport 30-39 age group for the series. I certainly didn't have the top end race fitness but my endurance base saved me and was able to maintain a respectable pace with some good suffering that usually wouldn't of been there. I felt great the next day and felt recovered in 2.

To get geared up for the final race (different series) and since I recovered quickly from the last one, and since my legs felt "normalish", I did an 1.5 hour endurance ride Tuesday and on Thursday did 1 hour with some easy tempo work. Legs felt decent on race day and everything well and once again the top end fitness and speed were not there but my endurance carried me through. I squeaked by another rider the last .5 mile of the race that was cramping to grab first place by about a minute, and win the series age group 30-39 (been working towards this for 3 years)

Lesson learned-I will not get overzealous next season and get into the quagmire of over training and having tired legs the last third of the season. It's so tempting when feeling fast to keep pushing to get even faster thinking that next workout is gonna improve your fitness when it could be putting the nail in the coffin and grinding you into training mediocrity when the legs are tired every ride and can't even push through a moderate intensity workout without feeling fatigued. Only a large rest period will pull you out. I got lucky to rest 4 days here and 5 days there between races to rest just enough to not ruin my season!
    Racing and Training Blog

It's about showing up.
    That is great news. Congratulations on getting through this.
    I don't rattle.