NardoSS

Which tire pressure to use on race bikes that are FS?

Alright, so what tire pressure do most of you with FS bikes use? I tried running 28ish that felt really good on technical climbs, but noticed that my tires were doing most of the compression and rebound instead of my fork and rear fork.

My question is, what do most of you run to keep the rear and front shock working as it should without the tire compression creating a bouncy feel?

mtbr member
    It surely all depends on the course and conditions and personal preference? I don't run FS myself, but I should imagine that you could get away with slightly higher pressures seeing as though rear suspension systems usually provide more traction.

Alright, let's ride!
    It also depends on what tires you are running and if they are tubeless or use tubes. I go anywhere from 28 psi to 40 psi depending on tires and conditions.
    Don't bring me down..........

I'm Idaho!
    Mar 2006
    I run the race tires that came with my Specialized bike, for now. Thin sidewalls. 32 PSI rear and 30 front. My normal rides are fairly technical.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    50-60 psi. No worries on pinch flats.
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fanghasyou
    50-60 psi. No worries on pinch flats.
    Or traction

MTB B'dos
    As everyone has said it personal preference, but no one mentioned an important factor - Your Weight! If you're a big guy you'd need to run more pressure than a lighter guy/gal. Personally I run around 32-40 PSI depending on the tyre and terrain. I weigh around 180-185lbs w/ gear and ride a Trance 4" FS bike that weighs around 30lbs. You will definitely notice a difference in grip once you drop below 40 PSI, but as you go lower you'll also need to worry about pinch-flats.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer
    Or traction

Ha, i manage...
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

mtbr member
    I found that on my 1.95 nevegals stick-E's, I should be at no more than 33 psi. Above that say 35 and more, the ride really starts to feel bouncy. I weight 142 lbs. I also feel like I am grippier.

Quote Originally Posted by Odranicus
    Alright, so what tire pressure do most of you with FS bikes use? I tried running 28ish that felt really good on technical climbs, but noticed that my tires were doing most of the compression and rebound instead of my fork and rear fork.

My question is, what do most of you run to keep the rear and front shock working as it should without the tire compression creating a bouncy feel?

Members who have read this thread: 0