mtbr member
    May 2007

tips on keeping head cool during race?

My biggest problem during these warm summer races is my head tends to overheat. I end up dumping tons of water on it to keep me cool, and prevent/stop the heat headaches. Are there any tricks to help?

thanks
    Last edited by blantonator; 06-22-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Happy when not-last.
    A higher-end helmet, like the S-Works MT, will cool you off as much as possible. I ordered one just last week!
    The 'hype' is that they funnel *more* air over your head than if you weren't wearing a helmet.
    All your base are belong to ME.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MinskyBA View Post
    A higher-end helmet, like the S-Works MT, will cool you off as much as possible. I ordered one just last week!
    The 'hype' is that they funnel *more* air over your head than if you weren't wearing a helmet.
    i agree! I'm using a s-works prevail. It definitely helped, but I still eventually overheat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    shave your head. Made a huge difference for me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86 View Post
    shave your head. Made a huge difference for me.
    I'd look awful, trust me.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A cool head has two meanings. If this was a road racing forums I would think you are talking about anger management.

Your head feeling hot means that your core is hot. Really you need to cool your core. Here are the three main this for racing in heat:

#1: Adaptation. Spend a week or two riding in the heat of the day. You will have to hydrate like crazy and ride a bit slower but the adaptations your body will make are truely stunning.

#2: Cool yourself.
    -Try pre-cooling, build your own ice vest that you wear on the start line. (post-cooling is very effective for recovery)
    -poor water on yourself when you are racing. When ever possible put water on you but not at the expense of putting it in you.

#3: Start a bit slower. The bodies cooling system takes some time to get fully functioning. If you go too hard before your sweat rate gets up you will quickly overheat and never fully recover.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    A cool head has two meanings. If this was a road racing forums I would think you are talking about anger management.

Your head feeling hot means that your core is hot. Really you need to cool your core. Here are the three main this for racing in heat:

#1: Adaptation. Spend a week or two riding in the heat of the day. You will have to hydrate like crazy and ride a bit slower but the adaptations your body will make are truely stunning.

#2: Cool yourself.
    -Try pre-cooling, build your own ice vest that you wear on the start line. (post-cooling is very effective for recovery)
    -poor water on yourself when you are racing. When ever possible put water on you but not at the expense of putting it in you.

#3: Start a bit slower. The bodies cooling system takes some time to get fully functioning. If you go too hard before your sweat rate gets up you will quickly overheat and never fully recover.
    #1 - I should be FLYING fast in a week or two!

#2 - ziploc baggies of cubed iced you can keep in your back pockets during warm up, and use a damp wash cloth or similar that is soaking in ice while you are staging on your neck / head can help a lot as well.

I think heat is a bit similar to elevation when talking about pacing and letting the body really start up and prepare, as well as recover from the effort. Definitely make sure to have cool water on hand post-race to dip your wrists, pour on your head, and just as importantly to hydrate with!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I love soaking my feet in the ice cooler after a hot race.

I saw videos on cyclingdirt of the races in Austin, and people were handing up entire jugs of water. Guys were pouring it on their heads, necks, even feet.

Low body fat helps most of all.

mtbr member
    You can do some heat acclimatization training to improve how you deal with hot weather.

If you do a Google search for "heat acclimatization training" there are lots of articles on the subject. This guide is quite a good one for explaining how it works.

http://www-tradoc.army.mil/SURGEON/P...tionGuide1.pdf

This is a collection of articles about running in heat with some suggestions:

http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic...-269-0,00.html

Getting the best ventilated helmet you can is worth doing for any marginal gains. A short crew cut style haircut is best as it will be cooler than longer hair.

Wearing a sweatband can help stop sweat running down into your eyes. Have a look at the suggestions in this thread for dealing with that problem:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Product-Advice

http://store.haloheadband.com/HALO_II_pullover_s/9.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    +1 on shaving your head.

added bonus...

tan spots on your head from helmet vents are very fashionable!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

ups and downs
    There's the video to go with the still photo

tips on keeping head cool during race?-koerber-kini.jpg

http://www.cyclingdirt.org/coverage/...-Bath-Post-MJC
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme View Post
    +1 on shaving your head.

added bonus...

tan spots on your head from helmet vents are very fashionable!
    luckily for us on the east coast, we're usually riding under tree cover.

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    I was able to take advantage of a snow drift still hanging around during my last race. I stopped quick
    and a few handfuls down my jersy and some packed in the vents on my helmet did wonders, but a
    few more weeks and that option will be gone.

mtbr member
    Ditching the CamelBak alleviated my overheating problems. But I do miss the the CamelBak...
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com

mtbr member
    Even with S-works helmet and tree cover, I still dump a ton of water over me. I don't know what it is, but I heat up so fast.