29er for life!!

New question here. Time on a trainer

Just wondering,when your not riding and using a trainer how long to you ride on it?Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well, since it's been 100+ degrees every day for 32 days straight in Ks, I've been getting 10 hrs/week in on mine. Mostly longer base rides but some shorter threshold training too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I do training DVDs on my trainer that last 45 to 90 min. You can get a lot done in that time if you work at it.

During the winter I can go 2hrs doing base. That's about as long as I can go without going coocoo for Coco Puffs.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I do training DVDs on my trainer that last 45 to 90 min. You can get a lot done in that time if you work at it.

During the winter I can go 2hrs doing base. That's about as long as I can go without going coocoo for Coco Puffs.
    +1 on the entire post.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Do most riders here put a road bike or MTB with slicks on their indoor trainer?

Personally, I think the trainer works much better with road gearing plus it's more comfortable to have the different hand positions on road drop bars.

mtbr member
    I only ride the trainer in the winter cause frankly, I hate it. When I do ride the trainer, I do an hour and call it quits. I would much rather ride in any condition possible than my trainer. I find an hour on the trainer feels like about 4, did I mention I dislike the trainer. I am actually thinking about doing some running to cross train when the weather is bad and biking is not an option.

mtbr member
    Two winters ago I would regularly do 1-2 hours a night. I find what really helped was to do interval formatted work. For example:

Zone 2: 10 minutes low cadence, 5 minutes normal cadence, repeat for 2 hours
    Zone 2 with all out seated sprint, every 10 minutes
    Zone 1-2 with a 30 sec high cadence interval every 5 minutes,
    etc.

The interval format kept the mind more busy. Having a PM with all sorts of displayed metrics, and a good movie kept the mind from going numb.

BTW, last winter I didn't work, so rode outside or drove to warmer weather most times (or integrated some snowshoe or XC ski cross training). That was sweet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Two days of trainer work and two days outside is my winter training. The two days i was on the trainer i did pre planned interval work, typically zone 3-5. Two days outside were nice smooth rides at a zone 2 pace. Stick it in front of the tv and go to town when using the trainer. Never was on my trainer more than 90 minutes. When i came into the spring i was in pretty stellar shape. My avg power gain was 61 watts. That was december thru february on the trainer. My riding buddies noticed a sharp improvement. I went from pack riding to leading the pack in a matter of 5 months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb View Post
    I only ride the trainer in the winter cause frankly, I hate it.

Ditto that. I only ride the trainer when there's snow on the ground. That being said, I can do 2.5 hours if needed. My trick is to stream foreign movies on Netflix - reading the subtitles helps take my mind off the boring grind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I can't do much more than 60 minutes on the trainer before I'm bored as hell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Slightly OT but is a trainer better than a stationary bike? I like the stationary bike because of all of the programmable rides but I'm wondering if it doesn't provide a "realistic" enough ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stymie2000 View Post
    Slightly OT but is a trainer better than a stationary bike? I like the stationary bike because of all of the programmable rides but I'm wondering if it doesn't provide a "realistic" enough ride.
    i would say the shortcoming of most stationary bikes is that the possible differences in crank length, Q factor, position, etc.

i wouldn't worry too much about "realism", but i would be concerned about the different muscle activation.
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I do one maybe two real quality sessions on the trainer a week. These are always intervals or similar. Do most of my strength and longer Km outside. never much longer than 100mins or so

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use the trainer mostly in the winter and a few times during the rest of the year. I can't handle much more than an hour on it, so it's generally 2-3 20 minute intervals +/- a bit around my threshold.

Grip it and rip it.
    I use mine a lot, can only take about 1.5 - 2 hours at a time though, maximum.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    45-60 minutes is all that I can take without getting bored. It beats nothing when there's snow on the ground.