mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Time for lengthy recovery?

Half the XC season is over, except for one race that got postponed due to weather (it's 3 weeks away). It's just starting to get really hot and after this last race there is a 2 month break in the season. So I plan to get in some quality lazy riding.

After the last race (which was very hot and brutal), I haven't seemed to recover fully. Feeling less motivated and more tired in general day-to-day activity, and slower on the bike. Especially notable on the road... takes more effort to keep average MPH in normal range.

Anyway, just due to the way I've been feeling, I think it may be time for a lengthy recovery. Maybe a week, or more. Like I said above though, I have a race in 3 weeks. What's a good effective way to recover when you know you have a race coming up?

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    For me I need to go for a ride and see how I feel after the warm up before I can determine how tired I really am. If I don't do this, I will tend to take days off even though my body can and needs to take more punishment.
    To give you an example, I had a big race on Saturday - I still did my long recovery ride the next day and than a day off after (Monday). Well on Tuesday I had a short race on my schedule, but my body felt like it still hadn't recovered from the Saturday race. I had to force myself to go, and after the first 5 minutes of the race, it felt like someone put a rocket booster on my bike and I beat people I normal don't even see after the start.
    So I would ensure I hydrate and go for a fun ride to see if I truely needed to take time off. If you still don't feel good, about 2 days of not riding works for me, any more than that - it is really hard to get back on the bike and I see a loss of fitness.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The body is very clever, especially the mind. If your feeling less motivated and not as good physically that's your body telling you to back off for a bit. Take a week or so for some lazy days off and easy riding (if you feel like it). Read a book, watch a film/or series, work on getting rid of the tan lines ;-) It will help your body and mind to re-charge and I'm sure you will get the motivation back for racing. Instead of listening to a training plan I listen to my body and it really really works. Hope this helps

mtbr member
    I was totally waxed after the spring season, my times were getting slower and fitness getting worse despite training harder. I sat on my ass for a couple weeks, and I think I've actually gotten faster and stronger! I haven't pushed it hard at all, but I've done a few Z2/3 road rides and my avg speed is astonishing for how low my HR is!

I don't know how my legs would respond to hard riding, and I don't plan to find out. Just going to focus on base miles for a while and then rebuild.

mtbr member
    The time for rest and overcompensation is good, definitely listen to your body, what ever it needs it will let you know.

I find that after a bunch of racing and training I do need to have some just for fun rides just to remember why I love biking so much, some times its a ride with some friends, maybe a day of downhill or a cruse by the beach.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog