mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Time cruched Cyclist vs. MTB Training Bible- Help me develop a plan!!

I'm a Cat 2 XC racer. This year was my first year riding period, I skipped Cat 3, and wound up doing alright. Mostly mid pack finishes, which I was happy with. However, I want to be as competitive as possible for next year.

I picked up both books, read Friel's, and am now going through the TCC. As my wife and I are expecting a baby in the next few weeks, my season is over following a race on my home trail on Sept 11. I'm planning on a 350 hr year, which puts me a little low for Friel's plans, and a little high for the TCC. So, my question is, which plan should I use? Is Friel's with only 350 hrs still effective? I know the TCC seems to be more of a short term (2-3 month) program. Should I start with Friel for my transition/prep/base period, then do TCC for the build/peak/race? My season is set to focus around 5 races starting Mid March-early June, then 5 more early September-early Nov.

Anyone have any advice regarding which plan to use? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Your wife will give you a plan very soon

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    She's real supportive. I've learned to love the trainer more than the road, and she likes it too since it keeps me at the house. No trails are within an hour drive anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I find that young children tend to mess up my structured training plans and require that I improvise and listen to my body more, as I tend to get less sleep and catch viral infections from the kids more often. I do like having a general sort of period based plan in my mind, but day to day i tend to deviate a bit.

If you have access to wattage or an ergo based trainer, a winter plan that really focuses on building your FTP with long intervals and tempo seems to be the key cornerstone along with developing the 5 minute power comes spring

mtbr member
    Why do you think 350 is too short for a Friel plan?
    I did a 350 hour plan this year, and will likely finished around 300 hours actual do to work/life interferences.

I did respectable in sport class in a couple of loacal series. Enough that I will be moving up again next season.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Plans are great and plans are fun (sometimes) but if you are in your second year of racing they probably are not the way to go.

A new rider/racer needs miles more than anything. You need to ride lots, you don't need to worry about intensity, intervals, training blocks and rest blocks.

A good goal would be to consistently ride 8hrs a week. 8hrs isn't really that much but it is surprising how few of us actually ride that much as an average.

Next year aim for 8hrs a week, the year after that aim for 10hrs a week. If you can achieve those volumes consistently then you can probably put together a training plan that you can follow.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This year I got in 350 hrs of training working 50 hrs a week, taking care of a pregnant wife, and taking 19 hours of classes both semesters. Going to just a baby and a 40 hr/week job will be a piece of cake! I haven't been too impressed with the TCC. I'm going to stick with Friel I think for now, and maybe use TCC if the situation changes coming up to either half of the season. If nothing else, Friel will give me good structure for my base periods.

Any other advice would still be appreciated, but this is what I'm leaning towards now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuuc View Post
    Your wife will give you a plan very soon
    As a father of two, this statement cracked me up...till it sunk in how true it is.

Big Damn Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    This year I got in 350 hrs of training working 50 hrs a week, taking care of a pregnant wife, and taking 19 hours of classes both semesters. Going to just a baby and a 40 hr/week job will be a piece of cake! I
    I'm sure you'll be changing your mind about this statement in a few weeks...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve View Post
    what do you mean...it's "just a baby"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    This year I got in 350 hrs of training working 50 hrs a week, taking care of a pregnant wife, and taking 19 hours of classes both semesters. Going to just a baby and a 40 hr/week job will be a piece of cake! I haven't been too impressed with the TCC. I'm going to stick with Friel I think for now, and maybe use TCC if the situation changes coming up to either half of the season. If nothing else, Friel will give me good structure for my base periods.

Any other advice would still be appreciated, but this is what I'm leaning towards now.
    Don't forget to enjoy riding. I am just so busy that I can't realistically stick to a plan. It gets frustrating. Rides can become a hassle when you feel you HAVE to get in that hard workout. These days I've just thrown plans out the window and ride when I can. If I feel good, I ride hard. If I don't, I go easier. It is just not in the cards for me to train 10 hours a week these days. I'm getting in 5-6 hours, usually in 3 rides. But I'm really enjoying my time on the bike. I've read the time crunched plan, but don't want to feel obligated to have to do hard intervals on days I'd rather just get in a relaxing ride.

Make sure your priorities are in line with a new baby at home. Your wife may need a lot of help. Some babies sleep well, most do not. It is very hard for most new mothers because they cease to have a separate life for an extended period of time while they care for an infant and toddler. They are joined at the hip with them and it is not easy. You need to help as much as you can. You will appreciate it years down the line if you make sure being a good father and husband are your top priorities.

That is my advice, from a father of two teenage girls who also stays extremely busy with work and some volunteering interests.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The classes need to change with todays busy life style,

Cass A: Those racers that are HAPPILY married, have children and work 55+ hours per week, 50 weeks per year.

Class 2: Everyone else.

Mojo

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I fooled myself into thinking I would still be able to maintain a healthy training/race schedule in 2009. After my daughter was born in late Feb of 2009 that plan quickly fell apart. I was way too tired each and every day to even think about even getting on the bike. That 1st year was tough...3-4 hrs of sleep a night were standard fare (and this is absolutely no exaggeration). It's way more work and responsibility than you can ever imagine, but at the same time I wouldn't change it for the world. I will say that it does get easier...I did race a little in 2010 after we moved to Denver in late 2009. This season was the first year since my daughter's birth that I was able to put in pretty much consistent 6-8 hrs a week (10-12 hrs weeks on occasion), but I still only did a few races. Next year I hope to be able to up the volume a little more and add a few more races to the mix.
    At any rate, first and foremost enjoy fatherhood! Hopefully both you and your wife will have a easier go in terms of sleep than we did.