mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Time Atac XC 6 suitable for Bontrager RL Shoes?

I'm going to buy a pair of Time Atacs XC6 pedals to put on my new Trek SuperFly.
    I bought the bike with a "free pair Bontrager RL shoes" discount.
    I was going to go with Shimano SPD pedals but the extra float offered by the Atacs made me change my mind towards the Time pedals.

So now I'm going to buy the XC6 (heard that the XC8 are just a bit lighter but also a bit less strong) but I wander if the pedals would work fine with these shoes.

Do I need to mount a shoe protector? Is there play between the shoe and the pedals (metalic clatter when pedaling higher cadans or uphill)?

Anything to keep in mind when setup the cleats?

Because of my fellow bikers all riding eggbeaters or SPD's I cannot ask them questions about the pedals. So I hope to find the answers here.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have RXLs, that have a carbon sole, with time pedals. I use a shoe protector in them because of a carbon sole. I did give it a try without the shoe protector but there was immediate wear.

I've used non carbon soled shoes like the RLs in the past and never used a sole protector. I usually replace my shoes every two years or so and never had one where the sole wore out from the cross bars on the time pedals. There is more structure for the shoes to rest on than eggbeaters and wear shouldn't be an issue.

My opinion is that you would be fine without them but if you want them run them.

As far as cleat placement goes, Time cleats are set and forget. There is no side to side adjustment to them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Owkey, sounds good.
    I like carbon soles shoes for my racebike, but prefer a little comfort when I need to walk or run next to my mtb or CX.
    I was told that the eggbeaters combined with a softer sole could give some numb feeling, there where the foot sits on top op the pedals. Mostly when riding +100km distances.
    For me a reason more to opt for the Atacs.

As soon as my ride moves from lbs to my house, I can finally find out how those pedals feel. I've got high hopes :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have used time pedals with RXL shoes for two years. No protector. There is a little play now due to wear, but I don't really notice it. Feels like a little additional float. Cleat retention is fine. There is less wear vs non carbon sloed Secialized shoes I used to use.