mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Threshold workout advice

I'm experimenting for the next few months with a block of threshold work and I am doing two workouts per week with recovery in between along with SST & LSD.

I determine my LTHR by way of a standard 30min TT and record the avg HR for the last 20mins, which for my last test was 169bpm, from this I can calculate the rest of my training zones and by also using my RPE I like to think I can be pretty consistent.

My first session is a basic 2x20 (5minRBI) session, where, after a good 20-30min warm up I hold my cadence steady with my HR rising steadily through z4 til I ramp it up at the end tipping it into low z5. My first 20 is always a bit flaky but the second I find much easier and can be consistent throughout.

The other session I have been doing is a 3x12min (8min RBI) under/over session, where I start & build at z4 for 2mins and then ramp it up to low z5 during the next 2mins, back then to z4 and up again to z5 repeating for 12mins. Basically yo yo ing z4 to z5.

Both have similar TSS with the 3x12 being higher as I spend more time at z5 but with similar time spent at z4 for each. I also find the 3x12 much harder than the 2x20 and am totally cooked at the end of each interval.

Which one of these do you think is yielding the most benefit? Would I just be better sticking with the 2x20's twice per week or are there any other interval sessions I could throw in there to add a bit of variation.

Cheers.

PRETENDURO
    Wow. I never really bothered to think of such things. Instead, I just hammer in z4 for an hour and a half up the local steep-ass firetrails, and make sure I get at least 10 minutes of z5… then I sort of “cool down” in z3 for about an hour. Seems to get me on the podium here and there.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDC View Post
    I'm experimenting for the next few months with a block of threshold work and I am doing two workouts per week with recovery in between along with SST & LSD.

I determine my LTHR by way of a standard 30min TT and record the avg HR for the last 20mins, which for my last test was 169bpm, from this I can calculate the rest of my training zones and by also using my RPE I like to think I can be pretty consistent.

My first session is a basic 2x20 (5minRBI) session, where, after a good 20-30min warm up I hold my cadence steady with my HR rising steadily through z4 til I ramp it up at the end tipping it into low z5. My first 20 is always a bit flaky but the second I find much easier and can be consistent throughout.

The other session I have been doing is a 3x12min (8min RBI) under/over session, where I start & build at z4 for 2mins and then ramp it up to low z5 during the next 2mins, back then to z4 and up again to z5 repeating for 12mins. Basically yo yo ing z4 to z5.

Both have similar TSS with the 3x12 being higher as I spend more time at z5 but with similar time spent at z4 for each. I also find the 3x12 much harder than the 2x20 and am totally cooked at the end of each interval.

Which one of these do you think is yielding the most benefit? Would I just be better sticking with the 2x20's twice per week or are there any other interval sessions I could throw in there to add a bit of variation.

Cheers.
    either is fine, sometimes if you have trouble breaking through to more power on the 2 x 20's the shorter intervals give to a foot hold to raise your performance. I do a similar when I'm looking to do a v02 workout like 5x5 and it gets stale after a few weeks, I go 3mins, then rest a minute then 2mins then rest the full five mins so I can push about 10 more watts and then try to hold the higher watts for the full 5 minutes next time out.

Sometimes i do a paced first part of the intervals then switch the display to average for the intervals and go hard so the numbers climb for the second part. Sometimes I do the opposite in a workout I call "phantom power" where I drill it up a long hill and keep the average over my "phantom" benchmark for as long as possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Interesting comments, thank you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    everything is progressive, the objective is not to do the same workout next week, but to either go faster or do the same with less effort. Harder, faster, less rest--you are always looking to add more stress each week, which is why the rest weeks make sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    are you building for cx, live in the Southern Hemisphere or just trying to get a late second peak?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    are you building for cx, live in the Southern Hemisphere or just trying to get a late second peak?
    Planning for a second peak early September for a 100mile mtb race

mtbr member
    If you're doing intervals on a turbo trainer then the workout below is quite a good one. It has a mixture of everything to keep turbo work interesting.

The routine was originally posted by Andrew Coggan on another forum so you'd use your own power or heart rate zones.
    ------------------------------------
    "Seriously, the best season I've had in recent years followed a winter
    during which I did the following '90/90'90' workout 3 d/wk:

5 min w/u
    20 min @ 275 W
    5 min easy
    5 min @ 325 W
    2.5 min easy
    5 min @ 325 W
    2.5 min easy
    0.5 min at 500 W
    2 min easy
    0.5 min at 500 W
    2 min easy
    0.5 min at 500 W
    2 min easy
    0.5 min at 500 W
    2.5 min easy
    5 min warm-down

The '90/90/90' refers to the fact that (almost by chance) the powers
    used were about 90% of the best that I could produce for that duration
    when at peak fitness. That made the session challenging enough that I
    didn't lose too much fitness over the winter, but not so hard that I
    ever dreaded the workout or burned out from doing it." Andrew Coggan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're preparing for a 100 mile mtb race then I'd try and integrate at least some of the interval sessions into your longer rides. The aim being to be just as strong at the end of a ride as at the beginning. By doing intervals later on it helps you to get used to putting out hard efforts after you've already been riding for a few hours.

Some examples would be to do a steady 5 hour ride but with 3x3 minute intervals at the beginning of every hour and the final 30 min finishing flat out.

Another one would be a 3 hour ride consisting of your 3x12 minute under over intervals during the first hour, the second hour doing hill work and then the final hour including a 1x20 minute interval.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    a good way to double up on endurance and quality is to ride to a local road race, do the event and ride home. I do this with club races when I'm trying to get stronger in the spring. If you have a weekly mtb training race maybe do the same thing if you are able.