Always pushing harder!!!

Thoughts of this past season...and upcoming season...

I just finished my season this past Sunday with a 3rd place (Masters 30-39) on our XC Marathon Championship (10th overall out of 200). I had a crash early on the race and lost contact with the leaders, but I managed to get back a couple of places.I felt good, but I know I've could have done better.

This past season was very weird. I podiumed every race I finished (7). The others one I didn't, I crashed badly, slashed a tire and just plain blew up on two others. But one good thing from this season i can recall, i did improved a lot...and I mean a lot compared last year.

Now, learning from this past season experiences, I have set myself goals that are just a bit higher, but achievable. I'm taking two weeks of the bike, then back to the gym and the pool. I will still ride on weekends just for fun until November when I get serious again about training...and if only i could beat those two bastards, I will win my first race ever!!! (seems that 2nd and 3rd places haunt me!!!)

How did your season go? Goals for next season? What will you change?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow, you're very good, congratulations I wish that I can be 2nd and 3rd seven times in seasons

My goals for next season are to be in top 3, and try to keep motivation up for winter training on house trainer, because it's so so boring for me. That was my mistake for this season, I didn't stick to training plan in winter months because of that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I had a decent year, not as good as last year though. I won a couple of races, finished second in a few and never finished out of the top 4, which I did last year also, but I did not win the local series this year as I did last year. My plans for next year are to just ride more, this year I only rode about 120 miles(6-8 hours) per week, 45 miles of those commuting, Tuesday night's full on race training on the road and one, sometimes both Sat., Sun. either road or mountain. I race the very competitive cat. 1 50+ class here in So Cal, I really need to work on my consistency, one race I win by 7 minutes, the next I'm struggling on climbs, finishing in the top 4 or above sounds consistent, but I know I c an do way better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How much do you guys trained (in years) for those results?

mtbr member
    I only had one goal this season, to win a race. Didn't care which one and I had planned 17 races between January and November... well I won the first two (there were only 3 in my category at one race and 2 in the other). I was 3rd in the next race and have only competed in 6 races this year due to some scheduling issues, so not exactly the season I was hoping for but not too bad either. I think I'm doing one more 6 hour race in Oct and calling it a season.

I did manage to boost my riding time a little this year. I'm averaging somewhere between 60-70 miles/week which isn't where I want to be but it's what I've been able to work in this year. Hopefully next year will be better. Looking at possibly working in some commuting (22 mi each way).

As far as next season, I would like to get a little more substantial win and I'm considering a regional series to try and compete in next year. I also just got a road bike so I'm hoping for a much better base and a much more consistent training routine this winter on an indoor trainer when the weather gets bad. I'll be happy if I hit the podium a few times and maybe get a win or two in.

mtbr member
    I had a good year with 3 podiums in endurance races (once 3rd place and twice 2nd place, all in single speed category). I also hit a personal best in the last 8 hour race with 140 km in 7h 53m. On the other hand I struggled in shorter races where I could not hit the podium. But I am 51 years old so I cannot complain.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Surprising, but disappointing too.

Training volume was down from 12-13 hours to 8-9 hours due to having our first kid. However I was impressed what you can do with 8-9 hours a week if you are disciplined making sure you get some quality.

A couple places in age group endurance races, a 2nd & 3rd in 4 hour and a 3rd in a 66km race (30-39 years).

I got sick mid season and had to skip a 4 hour race completely and the following XCO race on a favorite track was a dismal failure, cramps galore. I came good and had tried to peak for the final XCO race of the season, but woke up sick that morning, after the first lap it was pretty obvious I wasn't going to go the distance and had to pull the pin. The other 3 XCO races I managed in the season were all reasonable performances. Mid pack finishes in our region's 'elite' category, same as I was getting last year on more volume.

Question to be answered, can I sustain that performance on 8-10 hours year after year, or was I still reaping the benefits of prior years volume which will decline over time?

mtbr member
    I started the season way overweight (no excuses), but worked most of it off by the end of the season and had a couple age group (50-59) podiums in local races in august/september. I actually rode the best I had in a long time in the last race and climbed better than I had in many years.

Goal for next year is to start the season at the same weight I am ending at this season.