mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Thoughts on the new XXC short course prelude to the XCO race at World Cups

Is this for real? I mean, we are a long way from April 1.

mtbr member

Thoughts on the new XXC short course prelude to the XCO race at World Cups

Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    Is this for real? I mean, we are a long way from April 1.
    According to this Pinkbike article it is as well as increases in prize money.

The UCI has announced a number of agreements that were made during their most recent gathering in Norway. The changes will see "major modernizations" to the rules that they use to govern mountain biking, as well as other disciplines of cycling that they oversee (road, BMX, and indoor cycling).

For 2018, we can expect to see a new addition to the World Cup season, with short track XC being added to the mix. The newly labeled XCC is claimed to be both spectator and T.V. friendly and will take place at every round that hosts an XCO (Cross-Country Olympic) round. The event will be a 20-minute race and will take place on "wide and flowing" one to one and a half kilometer long courses. Will such a course make for more passing and action during the race? We'll have to wait and see. The XCC event will be used to determine the start line for the XCO event, with the top 16 filling the first two rows, so one can only assume that there will be some major hustling during the XCC.

Additionally, the UCI has decided to award more prize money at the MTB World Championships, increasing the amount 67% from 6,000 to 10,000. That's not all, though, with the meeting determining an increase in prize winnings at the World Cup rounds too, where we can expect to see the world's best battle for an increase of %64 (from 3,950 to 6,500) in prize money.
    The prize purse is crazy. I never realized how weak it was and still will be with these increases.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think the interesting part is shuffling xco starting grid. Guys like MvDP (who recently said he was planning to still ride mtb through the olympics) might be able to do more in the early season. I know he had some front row starts already, but not necessarily at his best races.

mtbr member
    I think the ST race should pay points in addition to determining the first 2 rows. That makes the top guys/gals have to race it hard. This is what they do at the UCI WC DH races. It makes qualifying very competitive.
    Pivot Firebird
    Hightower 29
    Tallboy 3
    Pivot LES SS
    Salsa Beargrease C
    Giant TCX

Primative Screwhead
    As a spectator, it will be fun to watch.

Coaches will seek to justify their presence on teams by talking up the physiological demands of the new discipline and how best to train for it.

Elite riders may think that if only more of them had participated in the eliminator, then the UCI wouldn't have had to replace it with XXC in order to bring more value for spectators over the weekend.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Now the racers won't have to worry about doing openers the day before the XCO race. It should be a win for the fans of the sport.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This means Absalon will be chasing from behind for his final season. He hasn't been strong on the starts recently. I still think he will do well. Also, where I come from XXC is a designation for endurance length races of 45 miles or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I kisstyped, I think it is supposed to be XCC

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Starting order based on a qualifier that taxes physiologic systems and (most likely a lack of) technical skills which are totally different than the main event... meh.

That said, I'll still watch.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Starting order based on a qualifier that taxes physiologic systems and (most likely a lack of) technical skills which are totally different than the main event... meh.

That said, I'll still watch.
    Huh? It's a 20min long race. Thus, almost entirely aerobic. Just like the ~12-15min laps they do at the team relay at worlds.

If it was a 30s BMX race, ok, yeah. But it's not.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Huh? It's a 20min long race. Thus, almost entirely aerobic. Just like the ~12-15min laps they do at the team relay at worlds.

If it was a 30s BMX race, ok, yeah. But it's not.
    It is something new to add to a race weekend. The question is how will the racers deal with it. Some may not focus on it and just assume they can "make it up" when the normal race starts. Others may use this a way to jump out to the early lead and try to hold off. I think that after a few races the racers will start to figure out how best to deal with these qualifier races to get the best result for the weekend. Until that time expect to see a shake up as some racers get it right and others get it wrong.

In the end if draws more excitement to the fans that is good . That draws more money to the sport which benefits the racers overall. If world cup racing were about the "fun of racing" that passed long ago as I am sure there are lot more fun courses that could be used, but are harder to spectate and sell to the fans.
    Most forms of top racing tweak the formula just to enhance the spectical since these people(racers, teams etc) are in fact parts of a big show.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.