Arrrghhh!!!

Theoretical question regarding water bottle weight and time

I will be riding in a couple of races this year that vary in length between 20 and 60 miles. All are well supported and I could ride with either one or two bottles of water on my bike. I ride mid-pack expert.
    My question is this: If I rode with one 22 oz bottle (approx 1 1/2 pounds) instead of two bottles, how much of an impact would this have on my time?
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Not enough to worry about it!

Bro Mountainbiker
    If you drop it you are toaster. 2 small bottles gives you a little more security if you are a clutz like me. And it give you more ammo to throw like a green shell in MarioKart.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

AZ
    banned
    Two bottles, use for nutrition on longer races.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    “Every extra pound you carry above your ideal weight makes you 15-20 seconds slower for each mile of a climb” — May 12′ Issue of Bicycling Magazine

If well supported, I would go with multiple 'partially filled bottles' as per below.

I know it may be kind of 'extreme' but it doesn't make sense to me to carve ounces/grams off of a bike and then carry around extra fluid. I believe 12 oz of water weighs .78 lbs or 355 grams

On another note:
    Even on a relatively short race, I approximate how much I will drink (heat, etc). And then split the difference between two small bottles.

IOW - For a 1.5 hr CX race I will split one large bottle into two small ones, in case I drop one (never have though) - less fluid in bottle makes it easier to handle, etc. (yes, I know I am carrying an extra water bottle on bike along with an extra cage)
    Last edited by scottz123; 03-02-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Great responses; thanks all. That answers it for me.
    William James

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just train with both bottles. Its not that big of a deal, your over thinking it.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    “Every extra pound you carry above your ideal weight makes you 15-20 seconds slower for each mile of a climb” — May 12′ Issue of Bicycling Magazine
    Every mile of vertical? If so, thats not too much. Ill continue to not sweat it.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    One pound at a VAM of 1200 requires about an extra 1.5 watts.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Arrrghhh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    One pound at a VAM of 1200 requires about an extra 1.5 watts.
    That is beyond my pea-sized brain. What does this mean to a layperson?
    William James

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post
    That is beyond my pea-sized brain. What does this mean to a layperson?
    Sorry, I was rather brief wasn't I.

VAM is vertical ascent rate per hour. For reference Armstrong at his peak did long climbs at 1700ish. Nowadays grand tour riders climb at 1500ish. A good Cat 1 mountain biker might be able to climb at a VAM of 1200 in a race.

To figure out the extra power required to climb at a particular VAM with a weight gain use the formula:

Power = (VAM * mass in KG * 9.8)/3600.

Interestingly using this formula you can see that faster you climb the more important weight is.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Arrrghhh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Sorry, I was rather brief wasn't I.

VAM is vertical ascent rate per hour. For reference Armstrong at his peak did long climbs at 1700ish. Nowadays grand tour riders climb at 1500ish. A good Cat 1 mountain biker might be able to climb at a VAM of 1200 in a race.

To figure out the extra power required to climb at a particular VAM with a weight gain use the formula:

Power = (VAM * mass in KG * 9.8)/3600.

Interestingly using this formula you can see that faster you climb the more important weight is.
    This is very interesting! So if I am riding in a race and produce 275 watts and weigh 86 kg all kitted up, this would result in a VAM of 1174. If I weigh 87, the VAM goes down to 1160. Do I have this right?
    William James

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post
    This is very interesting! So if I am riding in a race and produce 275 watts and weigh 86 kg all kitted up, this would result in a VAM of 1174. If I weigh 87, the VAM goes down to 1160. Do I have this right?
    Yes you have it right. At least theoretically right.

The problem with the equation I gave is when you riding gravity isn't the only force you are working against. You have wind resistance, and rolling resistance too. You also have to consider thatk, particularly on a MTB bike, you are alway accelerating and decelerating.

Wind resistance and rolling resistance can be modeled (and analyticcycling.com does). However, I don't think anybody has a clear grasp on frequency and magnitude of the accelerations in mountain biking. This makes it really hard to accurately predict the effect of a weight increase.