mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Tendinitis and training- How long should I rest?

Hey guys looking for some opinions here. I've been riding for about 3 years now and I'm looking to start training hard to do some XC racing next year.(Purely for enjoyment, I'm slow) I've ridden singlespeed for about 2 years now and recently switched to gears as the gears are much easier on my knees and tendons. I'm having some pain on the inside of my right knee and some tendon pain from running my seat too high during the Mohican 100 last June. I'm just wondering how long I should stay off the bike before I jump into training for next season? The tendinitis seems to be slowly improving while the knee pain has been bugging me pretty bad when I'm standing at work all day. Any experience with this?

mtbr member
    Rest?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I guess that's my question. How long should I plan to rest? Just feel it out as I go or plan a month or two off? I have some rehab exercises for the knee but want to hold off on them as not to aggravate the tendinitis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had bad knee tendinitis about 5ys ago from playing tennis. I got some great advise from my ortho doc who happened to be the former team doc for the NE Pats but I won't hold that against him. He said it was very important to build strong muscles around the joint to keep it stabilized, so said I,should try to train them as hard as you can without inflaming things further. It was a bit of trial and error but definitely worked. Now that I ride and no longer play tennis helps also!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I would ease back into it

Start with whatever a minimal amount is for you. give it 24hrs and increase a lil at a time,

Sounds like you are a serious rider and hardest thing will be "holding yourself back"

I agree with strengthening surrounding area from my own weak knees - I do these before lifting with legs after warm-up

This video is kind of old school but these TKE exercises work.
    EliteFTS.com - Buddy Morris 2005 Interview Part 2 - YouTube

Better then leg extension, If you notice Nike commercials with Derrick Rose doing rehab - you can see hin doing a form of TKE's. You can get bands (exercise tubes?) from sporting goods store or hardcore lifting site like EliteFTS - Powerlifting and Strength Training Products and Knowledge for Lifters, Athletes, Coaches, and Trainers

Also anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen worked best for me) I had bed elbow tendinitis. When I went to doc and told him dose I was taking (recommend on label) he laughed and called it a "kiddy dose" - basically increased amount recommend by 50-100%.

A co-worker of mine swears by a product called "Wobenzym N". My wife is in medical field and thru research heard a lot of good things about it from people with chronic pain. It's supposed to be a more natural approach then products like ibruprofen. I get mine from Vitamin Shoppe - "Garden of Life" brand is what my co-worker uses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

One more thing...

After seeing multiple docs for elbow and knee tendinitis

Try heat before exercise and also possible during day. I know RICE principle but, ice would always make mine worse.

During day you could try neoprene like sleeve - mine is McDavid brand - from sporting goods store) I use on knees and elbow before (to help with warm-up) and during lifting - It will probably bunch behind knee on bike though - there may som products out there to use on bike to get you thru this that "wrap" and has nothing behind knee to bunch. When you wear it you will get "sweaty hot" underneath sleeve

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Couple other thoughts:

scottz123's post about the knee sleeve reminded my of another thing that worked well for me, which was a knee band. Google "knee band for patellar tendonitis" and you can find them for <$10. It's just a narrow velco band that wraps around the knee and puts pressure on the right under the patella. Worked great for reducing the pain both playing tennis and on the bike. I felt that it was very effective for keeping the inflamation down.

My doc also prescribed ibuprofin for inflamation which helped a ton, and he didn't suggest "light" doses either.

The exercise that helped me the most in the rehab was freeweight barbell squats. Sounds a little counterintuitive but it really worked to strengthen muscles around the joint. I didn't go super low - just above the point where I could feel the pain. Since it was a freeweight exercise, the muscles around the joint had to do their job to keep everything stabilized. There's definitely some technique to avoid injury to the knees and back, but done correctly I think it's a super-effective exercise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Awesome replies, guys. Thanks! Keep em comin!

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Sounds like some (if not all) of your problem is coming from the bike fit, you should consider having it professionally fitted.