Thread: Tempo

mtbr member

Tempo

Had the second fastest lap time today besides a pro. However my third lap slowed down enough for two guys with more consistent times to nip me at the finish line! Exciting but disappointing.

My workouts are mostly long zone 2 and short vo2 max intervals, periodized. I have stayed away from "fun fast" rides for a while but I seem to not be able to lay down watts effectively on open sections where guys with TT road fitness are giving me trouble. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

mtbr member
    chomxxo : My workouts are mostly long zone 2 and short vo2 max intervals, periodized

Well, it looks like you need to do some 2x20 or even longer intervals. Try a few 60 minute TTs as well. It seems that you are just missing some specific FTP work, that is all.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    chomxxo : My workouts are mostly long zone 2 and short vo2 max intervals, periodized

Well, it looks like you need to do some 2x20 or even longer intervals. Try a few 60 minute TTs as well. It seems that you are just missing some specific FTP work, that is all.
    ...Or (and not trying to be an a$$hat) you just don't want to put out the effort on the flats. It's hard to do so and to Serious' point, practicing that can help. it's pretty easy to put out FTP on a climb but it takes some mental fortitude to do that on the flats. Do your 2x20's on a long flat road and you'll be better for it.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Your training program sound fairly solid;

You challenge on the flats could be:
    a) Technique; unable to produce the same power on the flats as you can on the climbs.
    b) Absolute power: the other guys are bigger and more powerful then you, which means that they have more watts per square inch of surface area but less watts per kilogram.
    c) Fitness. You could excel at varied power outputs but struggle when asked to maintain a high power output.
    d) Mental. You hate riding the flats and end up losing focus.

What ever the cause is you need to some training on the flats. Be carefull not to overdue the VO2 work, it doesn't take much to stop getting gains from VO2 intervals.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Be carefull not to overdue the VO2 work, it doesn't take much to stop getting gains from VO2 intervals.
    +1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Be carefull not to overdue the VO2 work, it doesn't take much to stop getting gains from VO2 intervals.
    What's too much? At this stage I am trying to ramp up fitness and am currently doing 1 day per week of VO2 max ints. Is this too much or ok?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    I have stayed away from "fun fast" rides for a while
    For me, I find mixing in Tempo intervals to be real beneficial. I'm currently still in the middle base phase, but starting a long ride with a solid hour of flat terrain tempo work (or broken up into intervals, 3X20, 2X30, etc.) seems to give a nice kick to FTP while not killing the body so much.

That final interval at Tempo wattage really hurts though, since the body starts running out of steam.

Also, I do just about all my interval work (even VO2max) on flat road commuting home. If i can hit power targets and save gasoline, why not?
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/