mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Taking the edge off post training hungar!!

I've been having a real problem with eating "all around me" after a hard training spin. I would basically eat constantly from the moment I came home for the rest of the day! I felt this was undoing a lot of the benefits gained from the hard session.
    So today, immediatley after I came home, I put a banana, a heaped teaspoon of chocolate drink powder and about 3/4 pint of skimmed milk into a jug and whisked it with a hand-blender. It tasted great and completely took the edge off my hungar for the rest of the day. Definately the way forward for me!

Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardL
    I've been having a real problem with eating "all around me" after a hard training spin. I would basically eat constantly from the moment I came home for the rest of the day! I felt this was undoing a lot of the benefits gained from the hard session.
    So today, immediatley after I came home, I put a banana, a heaped teaspoon of chocolate drink powder and about 3/4 pint of skimmed milk into a jug and whisked it with a hand-blender. It tasted great and completely took the edge off my hungar for the rest of the day. Definately the way forward for me!
    Add soluble fiber to this and will decrease your hunger and slightly slow your digestion down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Belkin34
    Add soluble fiber to this and will decrease your hunger and slightly slow your digestion down
    What are some good examples that would mix well with OP's drink?
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider
    What are some good examples that would mix well with OP's drink?
    Oatmeal

mtbr member
    How long does your hard training spin last? If its an hour or less you shouldnt need any food. If its 1.5 hours or more I bring some nutrition for the ride, not because I get hungry during, but if I dont, the muscles will start to tire at the end of the ride and its not good for recovery.

For high intensity rides, I usually cant eat a big meal after. I eat a little and feel full, hungry again within an hour, eat a little more, hungry again in a couple hours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I went on an easy ride today (5.5 hrs, 3 of actual pedaling) with around 1200 meters of ascent. I've been eating like crazy since I got here! Started off with pasta, moved to pb sandwich and yogurt, then more pasta, cookies, and a papaya-honey-waffle combo a few minutes ago. I feel like I could still eat!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yea, seriously. I feel completely retarded when it comes to knowing what to eat before and after long rides. For me, a long ride would be 21 miles 3000 ft ascent ~2-2.5 hrs.

I usually hit these rides very early in the morning, like 6am. So what do I eat the night before, the morning of, and the afternoon after???

Thanks!

Giant Anthem

nutrition

Nutrition is a very large part of your performance-especially fueling before/during and after a workout/race. The link below is for Hammers nutrition handbook (Endurance Athlete's Guide to Success v. 8) which is a must read. They do push their supplements which are great, although you can make some the drink mixes homemade

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...0071&AMI=10087
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    at 3-5 hours, you might be burning 3,000 calories, so yeah you should be hungry and eating a lot, even if you ate during the ride (i sincerely hope you are).

If you are starting at 6am, dont worry about breakfast, just eat a full meal the night before. Even if your stomach feels really hungry when you wake up, if you ate properly after your last ride and before bed, your muscles should have plenty of glycogen stored in them. Just eat a banana or a few bites of something to shut the stomach up, then take a couple cookies or whatever for the ride. As soon as the body gets pumping, you wont feel hungry anymore. Eat a cookie or whatever after about 45-60min, eat more whenever you feel you need it, but remember you are just feeding the muscles, not the stomach. Then eat to satisfaction after the ride.

A big breakfast after a long morning ride is my favorite!!! Grits, eggs, toast, jam, sausage, cheese, tomato, olives, tea, combined with that tired but relaxed and mellow feeling after a long ride - heaven!! Thinking about the breakfast gives me the motivation to ride!!

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardL

mmmmm bananas

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hammer Perpetuem has worked wonders for me!!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Coffee is a truly wonderful thing. Come back from you ride, slam a recovery drink and then have a cup of coffee. Should allow you to make it to dinner.

Another thing to consider is if you are that hungry after a ride then perhaps you are not eating enough on your ride, or more importantly not enough before you go for your ride.