Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Super Fly FS 9.9 vs. Jet9 RDO vs. S Works Epic

I "tried" out a xc cat 3 race last year and was hooked after the first 3miles. Sold my over sized trail bike to build an Epic carbon. That bike was great but ended up selling the frame set for more than I paid for it 2 weeks ago. Needless to say I'm on the hunt for a great bike. Problem is no one in my area of iL carries any of these top shelf bikes. Trying to decide which route to take. Think I've settled on FS. My build out would be xx1 cranks with full xtr components and Stans Race Gold wheel set. My epic was just over 24lbs with pedals. A few pound either way would be fine.

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by rayztoyz; 02-02-2014 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    I have no complaints on my Jet9 RDO except for rock chips in the clearcoat. I see quite a few of those out here in UT being race, but not much of the other two. I haven't ridden the other two though.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rayztoyz View Post
    My build out would be xx1 cranks with full xtr components and Stans Race Gold wheel set.
    Thanks for the help
    I would go with XX1 over XTR. I can't imagine buying a new bike with top end components that isn't 1x11.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Where in IL are you located? I would go with the Superfly, but I am bit biased.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Really liked my old Epic. It was a solid bike. The Trek would be a watered down Project One build. I already own everything to build the bike the way I would like it. 1x11 was tempting...but I already own full XTR that I purchased new last August. It has maybe 100 miles on it...maybe. I'm located in northern IL....Oswego area.

Formerly of Kent
    Spokes in Wheaton usually keeps a few S-Works Epics and SJ HTs in stock. Give them a call and see what they have.

mtbr member
    I would look at the Cannondale Scalpel. Have some down to 21lbs, great race bike.

IMO 1x11 is pretty useless with our racing. Too much varied terrain, I run full XTR and would never go back to the single front ring.

Epic and Superfly both good bikes but the RDO is way to heavy for a race bike.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm trying to imagine a place where I couldn't use a 1x11, and I'm stumped.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I'm trying to imagine a place where I couldn't use a 1x11, and I'm stumped.
    +1. Especially in IL, where there are no mountains...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    IMO 1x11 is pretty useless with our racing. Too much varied terrain, I run full XTR and would never go back to the single front ring.
    Have you ever used 1x11? For an endurance racer (NUE 100milers) its the cats ass.

I moved 1x10 to 1x11 and you get a better range of gearing for climbing and flats.

My sworks is a smig over 21 w/ pedals and cages. Once the SRM PM gets here it will add a small amount. For what its worth I'm Cat 2.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Have you ever used 1x11? For an endurance racer (NUE 100milers) its the cats ass.
    He was saying the exact same thing as you. It was Flucod that was trashing 1x11...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321 View Post
    He was saying the exact same thing as you. It was Flucod that was trashing 1x11...
    My bad I quoted the wrong post. Thanks and fixed.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My point, I guess, was that I already own full XTR trail with the XX1 crank/chain ring. Everything has less than 100 miles. So replacing the group set at this point would be more money. I didn't say it wasn't worth it nor did I say it's not needed. I was trying to get some opinions on fame sets...not group sets.

Sorry if my original post was misleading.

Ended up purchasing a left over 2013 S-Works Epic frame set.

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    My point, I guess, was that I already own full XTR trail with the XX1 crank/chain ring. Everything has less than 100 miles. So replacing the group set at this point would be more money. I didn't say it wasn't worth it nor did I say it's not needed. I was trying to get some opinions on fame sets...not group sets.

No, someone else said it wasn't worth it. Totally understand using what you've got...

mtbr member
    I raced a Trek Superfly 100 for 2 seasons and liked the bike - it was my first full suspension 29er. Thought it was great actually, that is, until I rode an epic. I realized really quickly that the Trek was just a barge of a bike that handles like a tank. The epic with the short chainstays handled so much better. Just rips around turns, very flickable, and (even though this may sound weird it helps in riding stuff smooth)easy to wheelie drop/jump rooty or rocky sections. The Epic was a little firmer ride - something about the brain just doesn't let that bike get plush, but hey it's an XC race bike after all. That's really the only 2 big differences between the Epic and Superfly. Way better handling with the Epic versus a plusher ride on the Superfly. Never ridden a Jet, so can't comment on that. Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    "Epic and Superfly both good bikes but the RDO is way to heavy for a race bike."

Yeah, that 1/3 of a lb is a real killer.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ger View Post
    "Epic and Superfly both good bikes but the RDO is way to heavy for a race bike."

Yeah, that 1/3 of a lb is a real killer.
    Epic large framset is 5.0lbs
    Jet 9 Rdo and Superfly are just under 5 lbs in large.

FYI Santa. Cruz tallboy 2 is same as Epic sworks, 5 lbs for a large.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rode a non carbon Tall Boy for about 50 trail miles over a weekend. Great bike. But no real support in my area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post

My large Jet 9 RDO actually came in just over 5lb. That's where I was getting the extra 1/3 lb compared to a 5lb Epic. But it rides good for a boat anchor!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post

LOL no. The RDO is coming a bit heavier than the Sworks. A teamate just purchased one.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    No reason you couldn't run a 1x10 setup with the XTR and an XX1 style front ring. It would be more than adequate in IL for racing (and most places).

As mentioned elsewhere, the RDO frame is in the same weight category as an Epic... so don't fret that too much.

I'm partial to the Epic, but I have several Niners (all HT though) and they are a great company. I don't care for the cable routing on the RDO though. I also think the RDO is a bit dated at this point. The design hasn't been updated in a LONG time and it's chain stays are on the long side. As someone who rides and races in the midwest, I'm not a fan of long chain stay bikes. That's why I picked up an Epic WC to try out this year

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Air 9 RDO would have been a better choice!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    Air 9 RDO would have been a better choice!
    Yeah if you want to bring a knife to a gun fight.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Yeah if you want to bring a knife to a gun fight.
    Inside thing...not to worry.

As for this particular topic...I myself am giving the SF100 a try for next season...partially a team thing. Owned a first generation Jet 9 RDO and it was a good riding bike, but had a defect that eventually got warrantied. Ended up selling that to a buddy and went back to a hardtail. Now back the other way this year...seem to be stuck in that FS to HT to FS etc. cycle. I wanted to like the Epics, even demoed a couple last Fall, but just did not get on with them at all. Other than the sizes not working for me, the concept just doesn't seem right. Folks who swear by it say it's the best of 2 worlds, but it seems like the worst of 2 worlds to me. Different strokes...

mtbr member
    Not tall enough gear and not low enough gear with 1x11. If you like use it. Not for me, not enough at each end.

Gear chart using Gear Inches

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast