mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Suggestions on pre-race prep "what would you do?"

I've got a race this coming Sunday and the one after. I am just running base class and I've made pretty steady progress in our off-season in getting faster via regimented workouts as well as longer low intensity rides and periodic group rides.

All that is beside the point though. For this Sunday's race I would like suggestions on what you guys would do in my situation, my situation being that I am currently traveling and have not been on a bike since Saturday and can't be again until Friday. So far this week I've done a bit of mobility and bodyweight work on Sunday, a 4 mile hike lasting about an hour with lots of elevation gain to get the legs working on Monday, mobility work and an easy spin on a stationary bike today, and I plan to finish the non-bike week with more bodyweight/mobility and kettlebell work tomorrow and mobility work Thursday.

Friday it's back on the bike but Sunday is the race. My question is what is the best approach just a couple of days before a race. A good old trail ride, a moderate road ride, intervals, anything else? Or does it matter?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Just a good old trail ride. I would think about what you could do Friday and be recovered for Sunday - and then do 90% of that, better to do to little than to much.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050 View Post
    I've got a race this coming Sunday and the one after. I am just running base class and I've made pretty steady progress in our off-season in getting faster via regimented workouts as well as longer low intensity rides and periodic group rides.

All that is beside the point though. For this Sunday's race I would like suggestions on what you guys would do in my situation, my situation being that I am currently traveling and have not been on a bike since Saturday and can't be again until Friday. So far this week I've done a bit of mobility and bodyweight work on Sunday, a 4 mile hike lasting about an hour with lots of elevation gain to get the legs working on Monday, mobility work and an easy spin on a stationary bike today, and I plan to finish the non-bike week with more bodyweight/mobility and kettlebell work tomorrow and mobility work Thursday.

Friday it's back on the bike but Sunday is the race. My question is what is the best approach just a couple of days before a race. A good old trail ride, a moderate road ride, intervals, anything else? Or does it matter?
    Not much you do on Friday will help on Sunday (no way to play catch up for the week), but it could hurt if you over do it. It's still a race week, so I would focus on doing a usual Friday pre-race warm up routine with a 45-50 minute ride such as...

Practice your XC race warm up on Friday: 5-10 mins of easy Z1 spinning, 5 mins of Z2, 5 mins of Z3, 5 mins of Z1-2, 1 x 1 min power Z4, 3 mins power Z1, 1 x 1 min power Z5, 1 min power Z1. Then finish the ride time in power Z1-2.

Saturday could be a pre-ride with no more than 60 minutes on the bike with some openers (5 minutes in Z3, maybe 3 x 1 in Z5 with a good rest between each).
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Suggestions on pre-race prep "what would you do?"

Awesome suggestions, thanks!!! I race the next week too but at least I'll be able to get on the bike between the 2 races...