Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sufferfest

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Sufferfest

So I am looking for a way to kick my training up a notch this offseason. I came across the Sufferfest videos. I haven't purchased them yet, and was wondering if they are as good as advertised?
    If this topic has already been covered, I would be happy even with the link to the discussion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Better than advertised in my opinion. They are always entertaining and keep things much more energized than just watching YouTube/Netflix.

I have even been using their ten week training plan for the past 8 weeks, I can definitely see the gains in my riding during our local fall season races and on Strava. New PR's popping up across the board.

I would highly recommend them. The Hunted and Local Hero are excellent places to start.
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by criscobike View Post
    So I am looking for a way to kick my training up a notch this offseason. I came across the Sufferfest videos. I haven't purchased them yet, and was wondering if they are as good as advertised?
    If this topic has already been covered, I would be happy even with the link to the discussion.
    Excellent and cheap. I've got 6 or 7.

The early videos are high intensity intervals, but this year they have put out some longer videos, like Blender, designed by (coach)Neil Henderson to develop 'endurance'. it is still not the tradtional winter base building, but the interval intensities and rest intervals are strung together to keep you in the saddle for over an hour and half.

The most recent videos are HD. Once you watch those, your enjoyment of the earler (not HD) videos will be diminished.

If you have a computer controlled trainer (computrainer, maybe TACX?), there is a devoted sufferfest fan who has developed spread sheets for all the videos that will force a power output based on your FTP that corresponds to the effort requests made by the video. really cool stuff, but the programmed power output can be brutal. In the winter, you could scale back the FTP you report to the software to avoid burnout.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They are fantastic. Great soundtrack and motivation to keep you going. I have a couple:

Rubber glove for my 20min watt-test.
    Angels (I run the video twice to get in my 8x8 threshold intervals or powerintervals)
    ISLAGIATT for 3x20 at threshold power
    A very dark place for my vo2max workouts
    The long scream as an added bonus 30 minute interval
    Revolver for those "today I want to kill myself with pain" days

I would never ever perform my intervals with the same intensity or high motivation if it was not for these videos. Definetly worth the money!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sufferfest + Trainer Road makes time on the trainer almost fun, and certainly tolerable.

I have all of the Sufferfest videos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So could someone explain how these work exactly? What's it like?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Simialr to above I have several and just pick one (or antoher video) based I what I want to do or am supposed to be doing htat day. IMO sufferfest are the best trainng videos for the cost easily hands down.

To answer AVann.

They are just race and sometimes other footage videos that use 1-10 scale to conduct interval sessions on the trainer. Always a meter on bottom that shows you where you should be, entertianing bike footage and music to keep you motivated.

My suggestions is to purachase several to mix and match to tyour workouts if your winter is going to involve a trainer.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Is there an android app or something as well? I don't have a tv by my trainer, but they seem pretty cool.

mtbr member

Sufferfest

There's Kinomap, which allows you to ride your own routes. With a compatible turbo trainer it automatically adjusts the resistance to match the terrain that you see on screen. That has an IOS app currently and apparently there will be an android version released around January 2014 also:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/d...tegration.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Get a couple of Sufferfest vids, they are great value for money. I always get sucked into the 'storyline' even when I'm feeling really lazy at the beginning of the session.
    My fav is The Hunted

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AVann6 View Post
    Is there an android app or something as well? I don't have a tv by my trainer, but they seem pretty cool.
    There isn't an app that I know of. However, it is very easy to send the video files to your phone from your computer. Just connect your phone via the micro-usb and drop them on over.

I've done that a handful of times when I didn't have a way to watch on my TV or laptop.
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    There's Kinomap, which allows you to ride your own routes. With a compatible turbo trainer it automatically adjusts the resistance to match the terrain that you see on screen. That has an IOS app currently and apparently there will be an android version released around January 2014 also:

Kinomap demonstrates route builder software, adds CycleOps PowerBeam support, Sony Action Cam integration | DC Rainmaker

I saw this at Interbike last week. Very impressive setup, though it seems to be pretty costly to get everything needed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnskee22 View Post
    There isn't an app that I know of. However, it is very easy to send the video files to your phone from your computer. Just connect your phone via the micro-usb and drop them on over.

I've done that a handful of times when I didn't have a way to watch on my TV or laptop.
    Oh that right there would be good enough for me. Might have to check these out!

mtbr member
    Sufferfest is awesome but it is ten times better paired with TrainerRoad. TrainerRoad by itself is also pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    2 Questions:
    -Can you rip these to DVD?
    -Is there a way to watch them on an Android tablet?
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am hearing mostly good things about these videos. Looks like I am going to dive in and give them a try. Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    2 Questions:
    -Can you rip these to DVD?
    -Is there a way to watch them on an Android tablet?
    I would assume you can burn them to a DVD, they are just digital .mp4 movie files.

Yes you can watch them on Andoid tablet, see my prior respons to AVann6.

noob
    i have a few of them and think they helped greatly. I found a program to convert them to a dvd file so I can play them on my ps3
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Off season + Sufferfest? Seems like you might want to focus on building a base during the off season.

Kick up the intensity maybe around Feb/March/April.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Off season + Sufferfest? Seems like you might want to focus on building a base during the off season.

Depends what philosophy you follow when it comes to offseason training. Read "The Time Crunched Cyclist" by Chris Carmichael for a full rundown. But essentially for those that can't spend 20+ hours a week on a bike it is more beneficial to do high intensity training in off season than extremely long endurance rides for "base".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post

I agree with rydbyk, BUT everyone responds to training differently.

Just be careful with how many zone 4 and 5 matches you burn november/december/january.

mtbr member

Re: Sufferfest

I know it's a little older thread, bu I have question to Sufferfest users.

Is there a plan to use their videis in some structural way for xc racing?

I use TrainerRoad and last week I finished their "sweet spot" base training I and II. Now I would like to continue with build plan, but they still don't have dadicated xc plan. Only cx for now.

I am interestet to give a try with Sufferfest, but not sure how to use their videos in more stuctural way.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have never tried sufferfest but I do enjoy Spinervals. You can usually find them on amazon pretty cheap. Spinervals.com also runs a lot of specials. I enjoy coach Troy and the quality work that can be done. Coach Troy also does a lot of free programs that can be downloaded through training peaks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sufferfest rocks! I'm a "time crunched cyclist" myself, and I do Blender, Fight Club and a few more (some that come with Strava premium membership for free) a few times a week. I don't know how I can get a Base with only 6-8 hours of riding a week?! To the person who said "don't burn too many zone 4-5 matches in winter"... why not? I can't imagine training 6-8 hours a week in zone 2-3 etc. I'm getting a new spin bike next week, hopefully I can do these 2 hour zone 3 base sessions... I will see!

mtbr member
    I started using sufferfest, I didn't buy any of the dvd's though, I'm sure it's a lot better with them. I just printed off the description of what it includes in the workout and just do that, right now I do revolver on Mondays (rediculous), the hunted on Wednesday, and violator on Friday. With recovery rides on Tuesday and I Thursday and 1 long base mile ride on weekend. It has helped a ton! On week 5 right now of that exact schedule.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast