mtbr member
    Jan 2004

subliminal training

i got this book about mental trainig for cyclist that got me thinking about making a tape with subliminal messages on it..the book had a chapter on having several thoughts when riding such as; breathing,power, etc...so since i have the taping equipement i ended up making a tape where i had several phrases i repeated over and over while i taped some favorite songs to cover up the messages..i notice when i was playing the tape while driving to races or on the trainer my breathing improved and i felt over all better..it is said that the mental part is the hardest part of training..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope voice?

Does the book say it should be in your own voice. I used to record myself reading college text books so I could listen to them on long road rides. I spent a lot of time thinking, "Do I really sound like that?". I've heard several people say they don't like the sound of thier own voice. This would probably limit the affectiveness.

BTW -- I do not advocate riding with headphones on, but it beats flunking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u
    i got this book about mental trainig for cyclist .......i notice when i was playing the tape while driving to races or on the trainer my breathing improved and i felt over all better..it is said that the mental part is the hardest part of training..
    OH. wow. I thought when I opened this thread that you were gonna say you put the BOOK under your PILLOW and slept on it every nite and that that made you faster.

that's how I studied in college so I thought it might work for riding too.