mtbr member
    Jul 2010

strength session and race pace riding on same day a good idea?

Need input and/or educated opinions...

My schedule has forced me into doing early morning strength training on two specific days a week. One of those days falls on the same day as an evening local training ride that is a fast, intense race-pace road ride. During the evening ride my legs usually feel the morning strength workout and I'm sure my performance suffers. I am fatigued the following day, which is a rest day in my schedule. I then do strength training and an easy ride the next day, and then longer rides or hills on the weekend.

I wondering if there are opinions about whether or not this two-in-a-day workout is going to be good for me long term-- it basically loads one super-intense day into my training week. Is this type of workout (i.e. strength session followed by an hard ride) consistent with general approaches to training for XC racing?

I've only done this for about three weeks and I seem to be recovering enough by the weekend. My racing schedule includes a mix of XC and endurance racing...

Thanks for any input

mtbr member
    What do you mean by strength session. Is it in the gym? Or on the bike?
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Gym-- mix of weights and body-weight exercise with focus on core and lower body, some upper body

mtbr member
    Two-a-days in the fashion you're doing it is great, IMO. I like because you are still riding (not lifting in lieu of riding).

As long as you're staying with the group, you're fine (especially if it's a road group). Just make sure you get a good warm-up with some short threshold, and VO2max efforts, and the stiffness in the legs should go away when the hammering starts.

If you're targeting a key event down the road, stop lifting for week or two before, to get some freshness. But always keep riding and vary intensity and volume appropriately.
    www.utahmtb.org

g3h6o3
    As far as I'm concerned, doing core & upper body work and riding later in the day works fine.

If you do a lot of leg work then you might feel it later in the day. I try to avoid it as I rather focus on 1 session per day per muscle group. I feel I'm not giving it all I can on the second session otherwise.

What this means is that my gym sessions are core & upper body and later in the day I'll ride the bike. On some occasions I'll also add some leg work but I won't ride that day.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I am finding that I am staying with the group but not able to take big pulls at the front or attack because my legs just feel dead. I am hoping that the two-a-day once a week will condition me to be able to ride hard at and above threshold when I am really fatigued and it will pay off when racing starts.

g3h6o3
    Chances are you'll get stronger and eventually be able to hold but that probably means you're not giving it all you can in the gym...
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Another question, what kind of lifting are you doing on your legs?? Squats, leg extension, step ups??? Sets and Reps??

I typically lift in the winter, and do more of a Muscular Endurance workout, to help supplement my weakness. Leaves me sore the first few weeks, but then I don't really get sore at all after a while because of its aerobic nature (many exercises at 3 sets of 15-20). But then again, I always lifted as the second workout of the day.
    www.utahmtb.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It's a cross-fit type workout that changes each week and is periodized. I've been doing it since late December. Right now-- muscle endurance. Lots of lunges, squats, dead-lifts, work with medicine ball, pull-ups, push-ups, kettle bells, core exercises. Each session usually includes some work on legs, some on core, some on upper body.
    I am planning on continuing these workouts twice a week through late May and then pull back to once a week as the core of my MTB season runs June through early August, then start again at twice a week once cross season starts.

mtbr member
    I did cross fit during some of my base period (December - February) and I know the soreness your experiencing. I stopped in March and continued doing my own core work, since I wanted to concentrate more on the bike and not have so much soreness. I'm over 40, so I don't recover like I used to.

But if you're riding and staying with the group, then I think you're okay. Your drop in power shouldn't be that much, IMO.

Also, this wouldn't be any different to following a good training plan since most have you do hard workouts when you're not fresh anyway. Falling towards the precipitous of overtraining and subsequent recovery and "freshining" is how improvement is achieved. You're just adding more load in a different method.
    www.utahmtb.org

Members who have read this thread: 0