mtbr member
    May 2009

Strava update, now with more Suffering!

After many years of using Apple products I took the plunge and swapped my iPhone for an Android device yesterday. Of course I took care of the important aspects of setting my new phone right away, setting up email and then Garmin Connect and Strava app installs.
    Just a few minutes ago I see that there is a Strava update available already, so I install it. I open up Strava and what do I see???
    Three Sufferfest videos are now available in the Strava app on my phone!

Presumably this only for Premium members, and at this point only for Android. Glad I switched my phones, as the weather is starting to get cold here

mtbr member
    Android app sucks compared to the apple one. Sucks alot.... Ill never own android anything again.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I think the Android app works fine, but I never got sucked into the iTunes ecosystem, so I haven't used the iPhone one. Of course the quality of the app itself has nothing to do with Apple or Android, it has to do with the people programming it for Strava, so I wouldn't let the programming decisions made independently in a single app influence my choice of platform of course, that would be ridiculous... My HTC one works great though, and blows away friend's iPhones when it comes to taking pictures in less than perfect lighting. I haven't noticed the Sufferfest videos though (on phone or PC), and I have premium.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Samsung android devices have way more accurate GPS than iPhones. This is a well know problem with iPhones.

This is important because strava uses the GPS points to calculate pace, elevation, etc....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Samsung android devices have way more accurate GPS than iPhones. This is a well know problem with iPhones.

This is important because strava uses the GPS points to calculate pace, elevation, etc....
    Prove it. I've used an iPhone since they first came out and this is the first I've heard about GPS inaccuracies.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    I haven't noticed the Sufferfest videos though (on phone or PC), and I have premium.
    Check to make sure you have the latest update for Strava.
    You can access the videos in the Training Videos (see screenshot)

Strava update, now with more Suffering!-screenshot_2013-10-31-11-07-49.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Prove it. I've used an iPhone since they first came out and this is the first I've heard about GPS inaccuracies.
    Here's some evidence. Hard to believe but these two data sets come from myself and my friend riding in the same 3 lap race. I can't believe how big the difference is

Strava update, now with more Suffering!-1.png

mtbr member
    Videos are available on an Android but not on PC/Laptop? That is dumb. Who wants to do a workout video on their phone?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Strava update, now with more Suffering!

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Who wants to do a workout video on their phone?
    Phone no...but on an iPad's larger screen it looks pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    Here's some evidence. Hard to believe but these two data sets come from myself and my friend riding in the same 3 lap race. I can't believe how big the difference is

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-1.png 
Views:	155 
Size:	355.1 KB 
ID:	843185
    But a Garmin is not a Droid. I would love to see an Apple vs. Droid on this same test. I would expect a Garmin unit to have better accuracy than a phone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    But a Garmin is not a Droid. I would love to see an Apple vs. Droid on this same test. I would expect a Garmin unit to have better accuracy than a phone.
    My brother uses his garmin 800 when we go riding and I use my Galaxy S3. On our most recent ride our distance and route was the same but his elevation was 45 feet more (out of over 1000)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    My brother uses his garmin 800 when we go riding and I use my Galaxy S3. On our most recent ride our distance and route was the same but his elevation was 45 feet more (out of over 1000)
    I often go on rides where there are four or more Garmin 800s. The elevation values (total climbed) often vary by 5-10% between Garmins, over exactly the same route. So, having a value different than a Garmin doesn't mean your S3 is wrong -- it might be more right!

I haven't noticed that my 800 is significantly more, or less, accurate than my HTC android. My wife's Sony Active droid, which supports GLONASS, has a barometric altimeter, and is waterproof, is a much better tool for navigation and mapping than my 800. But it is a pain to use while riding, so the 800 is still used for that.

I'd rather be riding
    All our local mtb segments are owned by an iphone user... he admits that all his times are slower when he borrows a garmin. I've never used the android app on my phone, so I can't comment there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My android strava app is consistently 5 seconds slower on one of the popular local segment. I usually have both the garmin 500 and the app on at the same time as the route is wooded and the gps signal can get weak near the top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It would be cool to see a ConSumer Reports style test of one rider, on multiple routes with iPhone, garmin, and different droids to see how they all compare. I think you would need to do 10 or more rides to get a good sample of how the 3 platforms responded.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    It would be cool to see a ConSumer Reports style test of one rider, on multiple routes with iPhone, garmin, and different droids to see how they all compare. I think you would need to do 10 or more rides to get a good sample of how the 3 platforms responded.
    Like this?
    2011 Sport Device GPS Accuracy In Depth: Part II | DC Rainmaker

It's a bit dated now, since smartphones evolve so rapidly, but several of the current Garmins are included.

One thing to keep in mind for phones is that the app one uses can make a big difference.

mtbr member
    On the GPS home, they have lots to say as to why this happens.
    Droid vs iPhone vs garmin on Strava

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I used Iphone5 for my rides, and a buddy of mine uses a small android phone. I always come with a shorter milage, e.g., one mile over 14-mile ride, despite having moved more trying to find him at that ride.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I use both iPhone4 and garmin500 together on most rides and have seen differences between the two, sometimes quite significant. The iPhone4 almost always shows slightly longer distance travelled, example 25 miles vs 24.2 miles. And, on average, segment times, are better on the iPhone. Approx 6 months ago, something changed with Strava or my iPhone reception and I was not able to get certain trail segments recorded, so added the garmin500