mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Storing CO2 inflator

I'm trying to streamline my ride, by removing my camelbak and going to bottles. i'm use to carrying a pump, tube, tools, etc. in my pack, but am now going to start to carry them on the bike or in my jersey pocket. i picked up an air chuck elite and i'm just wondering if i can store the inflator with the co2 tank screwed in. I'm assuming i can, but i don't want the tank to slowly leak out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Velcroed to the seat post.
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

g3h6o3
    I use a Lezyne Alloy Drive CFH. It comes with a mount that holds CO2 cartridges & pump on a bottle mount. When I go out on road rides or on my 2nd bike I only bring the hose with cartridges in my saddle bag or camelbak.

On recreational rides or for those "oh ****" moments, the pump doubles as a manual pump.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    I use this:
    Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance

I thread to CO2 on halfway or so, then loop a piece of electrical tape over the top. It keeps it from turning any further and puncturing the cartridge.

Then I put my multi-tool in the pouch as well. Then when I go out, I just shove the case in my jersey pocket, and it is always packed and ready to go.

bi-winning
    You do NOT want to puncture the CO2 cartridge before you plan to use it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
    I use this:
    Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance

I thread to CO2 on halfway or so, then loop a piece of electrical tape over the top. It keeps it from turning any further and puncturing the cartridge.

Then I put my multi-tool in the pouch as well. Then when I go out, I just shove the case in my jersey pocket, and it is always packed and ready to go.

This is what I do also. Taping the cartridge and pump head to keep from screwing in too far. (it will screw its self if not taped)

I started carrying to Plastic bags.

One for tire stuff.
    Inflator, tube, boot, lever.

One for all other problems.
    Multi tool, quick links and toilet paper😳
    .....the end

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    I don't understand people trying to save weight on race bikes and then strap water and tools to it. I would rather run a small Camelbak were the weight is off set by my 150 lbs then the 20lbs of my bike going up to 25 with water and tools.
    I wear a camelbak too, but, the total weight of you and your bike is the same either way. I just thread the Co2 on halfway and put it in my jersey pocket. Never had one screw itself on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't understand people trying to save weight on race bikes and then strap water and tools to it. I would rather run a small Camelbak were the weight is off set by my 150 lbs then the 20lbs of my bike going up to 25 with water and tools.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just don't like the feeling of a camelbak...too much back sweat. Whether the weight is on the bike or your back it takes the same amount of energy to accelerate. Carrying a tube, inflator, 2 levers, patch kit and tools only weighs about 175 grams. Add my water and cage and I'm up to 655. No where near 5 pounds and I don't have to deal with a sweaty back or a dingy camelbak bladder.

Granted, for rides over 3 hours I do like the camelbak simply because I can carry more fluid.

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES
    A bit of blue loc-tite on the threads of the cartridge, then thread it onto the head a little but not far enough to puncture it. This is more elegant than the electrical tape method and works great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnapmaster View Post
    A bit of blue loc-tite on the threads of the cartridge, then thread it onto the head a little but not far enough to puncture it. This is more elegant than the electrical tape method and works great.
    But then you won't have 4" of electrical tape to use in case you need it!

Plus the tape keeps the metal canister from rattling against my multi-tool.

I'd rather be riding
    I use a seatbag when racing anything more than 1 hour. Carries a tube, C02, and multi-tool. For shorter races I use just a C02 in the jersey pocket and for long rides/winter time I carry a pack.