Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stop YELLING!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Stop YELLING!

Hi everyone
    I did a few beginner races a while back and for the most part had lots of fun. One thing though that I didn't like was getting yelled @ to move over by the fast guys. There was one incident when I thought the guy was going to have a coronary!! I had no problems moving over but sometimes the trail didn't allow it...

Anyhow, what is the protocol?
    Thanks!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Move over when it's safe and when you're preventing people from going faster.... Ask to pass when you're eating someone else's rear wheel.... Pretty much, the same etiquette you would use when out for a "normal" ride. The fast dudes are probably just yelling to get your attention over the other riding noise, not just because they simply want to yell at you. Different groups will act differently though. My collegiate mountain bike races seem really chill.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Some folks get pretty full of themselves...

When a jerk-off yells like a lunatic at me, I make sure to tell him:

"I'm sorry, I didn't know your (insert multi-million $$ company dream sponsor name here) contract was riding on this race..."

BLUF: no one is getting rich out there, we do it for the sport.

It's about showing up.
    Not everyone has the skill to measure one's voice at 165 BMP.

Just do your best.
    I don't rattle.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have to confess some times when I am cross eyed I don't ask for the trail in the nicest manner. I feel bad but it happens. However, I always say thank you.

At the same time when I have faster races come up on me, I dive out of the way as soon as possible. I know what it like to be held up by slower riders and make sure that I don't do the same to faster riders.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Some people train a ton.

Some people want to win.

Lap type races (especially) can get really backed up on the trails. Annoying.

One's ability to pass others who are not even in your field/cat has become an important skill around my area.

Some people can have their results altered by someone who does not get out of the way.

It happens.

Move when appropriate.

Don't take it personally, as the dude is probably in full pain cave mode

When the guy passes you, yell at the top of your lungs "Git summm!!!!!!!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delgjor View Post
    what is the protocol?
    !
    Get out their way as fast as you can.

I'd rather be riding
    I get annoyed when I move out of the way for some one and don't get a nod or thanks or anything. I always thank people for letting me by even if they don't seem very happy about it.

SSOD
    Let em by as quickly as you can that's safe, and if your going up a hill and know your going to have to dismount, do it early and get off the trail. Racing ss NOTHING pisses me off more than guys getting off half way up the hill and stopping in the middle of the trail causing me to have to go off the trail to pass them and keep up my momentum. That's usually the only time I have nothing nice to say to those guys. On a side note, if I hear some of the 1's catching me, as soon as I see a safe spot to pull off and let them by I do and they usually don't have to say much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hold your line. If they want to win, then they have to make the pass.
    Giving up ground is not the way to win or improve or be competitive.

I heard it a bunch racing in the early 90's when racing sport class. I was not a slow poke either.
    Hated the attitude so much I actually got out racing.
    Now, almost 20 years older and 20 years more of an arse I don't give a flip what anyone yells at me.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Hold your line. If they want to win, then they have to make the pass.
    Giving up ground is not the way to win or improve or be competitive.

I heard it a bunch racing in the early 90's when racing sport class. I was not a slow poke either.
    Hated the attitude so much I actually got out racing.
    Now, almost 20 years older and 20 years more of an arse I don't give a flip what anyone yells at me.
    I think they are talking about when different/faster categories are coming up.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is no need to yell at people in races. In my experience it is usally the mediocre riders who get all full of themselves. I suspect this same type of rider is the one who speeds up when someone asks to get by them. I'll always ask nice the first time, but if a rider wants to drag race me when I'm lapping them I'm just coming around the second time.

With the novice riders, I think it's important for all of us to be considerate and supportive, we want them coming back again and enjoying the sport. It's not that hard to be considerate.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by jroden View Post
    There is no need to yell at people in races. In my experience it is usally the mediocre riders who get all full of themselves. I suspect this same type of rider is the one who speeds up when someone asks to get by them. I'll always ask nice the first time, but if a rider wants to drag race me when I'm lapping them I'm just coming around the second time.

With the novice riders, I think it's important for all of us to be considerate and supportive, we want them coming back again and enjoying the sport. It's not that hard to be considerate.
    This whole thing has already been debated in a previous thread. I am guilty of improper "tone" perhaps. I have a hard time sounding nice/friendly when I am pushing my body beyond what it wants me to do.

Apologies.

In an ideal world, all cat 3s would race/finish....then cat2s and so on...

Why do you think that the pros get the course to themselves so often? Apparently when you are paying rent/mortgage it matters suddenly.

We can argue all day long about whether or not it is appropriate for a rider to really really want you out of the way asap. I am guessing that the more you dedicate your life to racing, the more it will start to matter.

I have come to accept that I must learn how to navigate my way around slower riders from different levels if I want to do well and end up on the podium.

If I want to avoid this, then I guess I will have to turn pro

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    We can argue all day long about whether or not it is appropriate for a rider to really really want you out of the way asap. I am guessing that the more you dedicate your life to racing, the more it will start to matter.
    For true salaried pros who really have something meaningful on the line (in the global sense) it's not common to have them on a short lap course with other riders of drastically less ability. For anyone else (including local "pros" - not their paid vocation)), while their events may mean a lot to them personally, and I respect the dedication that goes into preparation, I don't see their sense of urgency overriding the need for common sense and respect for other participants. It's been my observation that the strongest riders usually have both the technical skills and fitness to create a passing opportunity for themselves in very short order when they need it, with minimal risk to the riders they are passing.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    For true salaried pros who really have something meaningful on the line (in the global sense) it's not common to have them on a short lap course with other riders of drastically less ability. For anyone else (including local "pros" - not their paid vocation)), while their events may mean a lot to them personally, and I respect the dedication that goes into preparation, I don't see their sense of urgency overriding the need for common sense and respect for other participants. It's been my observation that the strongest riders usually have both the technical skills and fitness to create a passing opportunity for themselves in very short order when they need it, with minimal risk to the riders they are passing.
    Agreed. Like someone mentioned above, it is sometimes difficult to choose appropriate volume or tone when passing someone when you are physically destroyed.

I too have been "yelled" at. Get over it. "On your right!!"

Perhaps the OP is intimidated by this. That is why I mentioned to not take it personally..

ups and downs
    When words fail, there's always elbows.

In Canada Cup races where they start the Elite Women a couple of minutes behind the Elite Men, the fast women might pass 1/4 to 1/3 of the men's field by the time the women's race is over.

At the Nationals a few years ago I chuckled when I overheard one guy complaining about getting an elbow in the ribs and a string of feminine curses after holding up the fastest Elite women working their way through the men's field in one of the season's Canada Cup races, I guess he wasn't convinced that they were faster than him. Hell hath no fury like the elbow of a woman blocked on singletrack.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

likes to ride bikes
    Pretty much same here. One thing to add, in a couple of races this year I have accidentally bumped riders with my handlebar when passing. I'm a tall guy, the trails we ride are very tight, and the pace is pretty frantic. I've always apologized profusely while catching my breath and trying to gun it at the same time. I've been bumped before by a pro coming past, we were both cool about it the same way. One of the real benefits of racing Cat 1 or better is that everybody has raced for a while and knows what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I have to confess some times when I am cross eyed I don't ask for the trail in the nicest manner. I feel bad but it happens. However, I always say thank you.

At the same time when I have faster races come up on me, I dive out of the way as soon as possible. I know what it like to be held up by slower riders and make sure that I don't do the same to faster riders.
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 10-03-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Light freak
    Those guys yelling at you are called "sand baggers"!! Come on, seriously, a beginners race and people are yelling at you to move out of the way?

I had the same experience at my first and very last race. Same thing, beginners race with guys in full sponsered race kits standing on the line. Am I in the right place? Then the race starts and guys are yelling at others to get out of the way. Beginner, huh? No thanks.

mtbr member
    In a race I was in a few weeks back, a few young guys (probably HS class) would ask to pass me and then almost expected me to slow down so they could get around. I have no problems if someone wants to pass, but how about speeding up and getting around me. I had no expectations of winning and the people that were passing were not going to win either. It was like just because they "asked" to pass, it meant that I should slow down and move off the trail. When I pass people, I pretty much get my speed up and make the move as I am saying something like- "passing on your left". Maybe it is the lazy youth that feel entitled! Kidding!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'll move over, but I will not slow down. You haveto earn the pass to get it. Learned that after letting too many people by too easilly. The exception is if you're not in my category. In my series we mark legs so you know if it's someone in your age group/ category. If I'm not racing against you and you're faster, I'll slow down so you can get by.

mtbr member
    ryguy135: I'll move over, but I will not slow down. You have to earn the pass to get it.

I hate that attitude. It takes 1-2 seconds to slow a bit and let a fast rider by. And if you are willing to do this, it can be done anywhere, even tight singletrack. My last 2 races where 8 hour solos and I had to let fast team riders pass by many times. I could easily "make them earn it" but that is a pathetic thing to do. And I was on the podim in both races, so I am not exactly glacial in my riding.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    If the rider behind me doesn't announce that he wants to get by I don't move over. I know there have been times, especially in endurance races, that I'm happy to ride a wheel for a minute or two to recover so I assume that's what others are doing.

Is this proper etiquette?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    ryguy135: I'll move over, but I will not slow down. You have to earn the pass to get it.

I hate that attitude. It takes 1-2 seconds to slow a bit and let a fast rider by. And if you are willing to do this, it can be done anywhere, even tight singletrack. My last 2 races where 8 hour solos and I had to let fast team riders pass by many times. I could easily "make them earn it" but that is a pathetic thing to do. And I was on the podim in both races, so I am not exactly glacial in my riding.
    The trails I race on generally are wide enough that there's room for them to pass, just not on an optimum line. If someone's been riding my tail for a while and there's been no room for a pass to happen, then I'll slow down and let them by when a chance happens if I know they are a faster rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm fairly good and when someone is riding behind me for a while, I often ask if they would like to get around and tell them when it's ok to pass, i let off for about a pedal stroke and the rider comes around. If I'm getting lapped, I get out of the way, especially if it is a rider still in the money. It has zero impact on my race or my life, it's just a second or two.

My favorite are the guys who want to mix it up in the first K and chop me to get into a turn first then I find them 20 mins down in the results. They sure kicked my ass to the first tree, though.

I don't thing you need to be sugar sweet during the race, but considerate is hardly a stretch for anyone. When I do intervals I'm going hard and don't feel the need to yell at people, why is a race different?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akura View Post
    If the rider behind me doesn't announce that he wants to get by I don't move over. I know there have been times, especially in endurance races, that I'm happy to ride a wheel for a minute or two to recover so I assume that's what others are doing.

Is this proper etiquette?
    If they don't say anything for a long time ask them if they want to pass. Some people don't want to be rude.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast