Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop YELLING!

mtbr member

Stop YELLING!

Hi everyone
    I did a few beginner races a while back and for the most part had lots of fun. One thing though that I didn't like was getting yelled @ to move over by the fast guys. There was one incident when I thought the guy was going to have a coronary!! I had no problems moving over but sometimes the trail didn't allow it...

Anyhow, what is the protocol?
    Thanks!

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Move over when it's safe and when you're preventing people from going faster.... Ask to pass when you're eating someone else's rear wheel.... Pretty much, the same etiquette you would use when out for a "normal" ride. The fast dudes are probably just yelling to get your attention over the other riding noise, not just because they simply want to yell at you. Different groups will act differently though. My collegiate mountain bike races seem really chill.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Some folks get pretty full of themselves...

When a jerk-off yells like a lunatic at me, I make sure to tell him:

"I'm sorry, I didn't know your (insert multi-million $$ company dream sponsor name here) contract was riding on this race..."

BLUF: no one is getting rich out there, we do it for the sport.

It's about showing up.
    Not everyone has the skill to measure one's voice at 165 BMP.

Just do your best.
    I don't rattle.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have to confess some times when I am cross eyed I don't ask for the trail in the nicest manner. I feel bad but it happens. However, I always say thank you.

At the same time when I have faster races come up on me, I dive out of the way as soon as possible. I know what it like to be held up by slower riders and make sure that I don't do the same to faster riders.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Some people train a ton.

Some people want to win.

Lap type races (especially) can get really backed up on the trails. Annoying.

One's ability to pass others who are not even in your field/cat has become an important skill around my area.

Some people can have their results altered by someone who does not get out of the way.

It happens.

Move when appropriate.

Don't take it personally, as the dude is probably in full pain cave mode

When the guy passes you, yell at the top of your lungs "Git summm!!!!!!!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delgjor View Post
    what is the protocol?
    !
    Get out their way as fast as you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I get annoyed when I move out of the way for some one and don't get a nod or thanks or anything. I always thank people for letting me by even if they don't seem very happy about it.

SSOD
    Let em by as quickly as you can that's safe, and if your going up a hill and know your going to have to dismount, do it early and get off the trail. Racing ss NOTHING pisses me off more than guys getting off half way up the hill and stopping in the middle of the trail causing me to have to go off the trail to pass them and keep up my momentum. That's usually the only time I have nothing nice to say to those guys. On a side note, if I hear some of the 1's catching me, as soon as I see a safe spot to pull off and let them by I do and they usually don't have to say much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hold your line. If they want to win, then they have to make the pass.
    Giving up ground is not the way to win or improve or be competitive.

I heard it a bunch racing in the early 90's when racing sport class. I was not a slow poke either.
    Hated the attitude so much I actually got out racing.
    Now, almost 20 years older and 20 years more of an arse I don't give a flip what anyone yells at me.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post

I heard it a bunch racing in the early 90's when racing sport class. I was not a slow poke either.
    Now, almost 20 years older and 20 years more of an arse I don't give a flip what anyone yells at me.
    I think they are talking about when different/faster categories are coming up.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is no need to yell at people in races. In my experience it is usally the mediocre riders who get all full of themselves. I suspect this same type of rider is the one who speeds up when someone asks to get by them. I'll always ask nice the first time, but if a rider wants to drag race me when I'm lapping them I'm just coming around the second time.

With the novice riders, I think it's important for all of us to be considerate and supportive, we want them coming back again and enjoying the sport. It's not that hard to be considerate.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by jroden View Post
    There is no need to yell at people in races. In my experience it is usally the mediocre riders who get all full of themselves. I suspect this same type of rider is the one who speeds up when someone asks to get by them. I'll always ask nice the first time, but if a rider wants to drag race me when I'm lapping them I'm just coming around the second time.

With the novice riders, I think it's important for all of us to be considerate and supportive, we want them coming back again and enjoying the sport. It's not that hard to be considerate.
    This whole thing has already been debated in a previous thread. I am guilty of improper "tone" perhaps. I have a hard time sounding nice/friendly when I am pushing my body beyond what it wants me to do.

Apologies.

In an ideal world, all cat 3s would race/finish....then cat2s and so on...

Why do you think that the pros get the course to themselves so often? Apparently when you are paying rent/mortgage it matters suddenly.

We can argue all day long about whether or not it is appropriate for a rider to really really want you out of the way asap. I am guessing that the more you dedicate your life to racing, the more it will start to matter.

I have come to accept that I must learn how to navigate my way around slower riders from different levels if I want to do well and end up on the podium.

If I want to avoid this, then I guess I will have to turn pro

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    We can argue all day long about whether or not it is appropriate for a rider to really really want you out of the way asap. I am guessing that the more you dedicate your life to racing, the more it will start to matter.
    For true salaried pros who really have something meaningful on the line (in the global sense) it's not common to have them on a short lap course with other riders of drastically less ability. For anyone else (including local "pros" - not their paid vocation)), while their events may mean a lot to them personally, and I respect the dedication that goes into preparation, I don't see their sense of urgency overriding the need for common sense and respect for other participants. It's been my observation that the strongest riders usually have both the technical skills and fitness to create a passing opportunity for themselves in very short order when they need it, with minimal risk to the riders they are passing.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    For true salaried pros who really have something meaningful on the line (in the global sense) it's not common to have them on a short lap course with other riders of drastically less ability. For anyone else (including local "pros" - not their paid vocation)), while their events may mean a lot to them personally, and I respect the dedication that goes into preparation, I don't see their sense of urgency overriding the need for common sense and respect for other participants. It's been my observation that the strongest riders usually have both the technical skills and fitness to create a passing opportunity for themselves in very short order when they need it, with minimal risk to the riders they are passing.
    Agreed. Like someone mentioned above, it is sometimes difficult to choose appropriate volume or tone when passing someone when you are physically destroyed.

I too have been "yelled" at. Get over it. "On your right!!"

Perhaps the OP is intimidated by this. That is why I mentioned to not take it personally..

ups and downs
    When words fail, there's always elbows.

In Canada Cup races where they start the Elite Women a couple of minutes behind the Elite Men, the fast women might pass 1/4 to 1/3 of the men's field by the time the women's race is over.

At the Nationals a few years ago I chuckled when I overheard one guy complaining about getting an elbow in the ribs and a string of feminine curses after holding up the fastest Elite women working their way through the men's field in one of the season's Canada Cup races, I guess he wasn't convinced that they were faster than him. Hell hath no fury like the elbow of a woman blocked on singletrack.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

likes to ride bikes
    Pretty much same here. One thing to add, in a couple of races this year I have accidentally bumped riders with my handlebar when passing. I'm a tall guy, the trails we ride are very tight, and the pace is pretty frantic. I've always apologized profusely while catching my breath and trying to gun it at the same time. I've been bumped before by a pro coming past, we were both cool about it the same way. One of the real benefits of racing Cat 1 or better is that everybody has raced for a while and knows what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I have to confess some times when I am cross eyed I don't ask for the trail in the nicest manner. I feel bad but it happens. However, I always say thank you.

At the same time when I have faster races come up on me, I dive out of the way as soon as possible. I know what it like to be held up by slower riders and make sure that I don't do the same to faster riders.
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 10-03-2011 at 06:33 PM.

Light freak
    Those guys yelling at you are called "sand baggers"!! Come on, seriously, a beginners race and people are yelling at you to move out of the way?

I had the same experience at my first and very last race. Same thing, beginners race with guys in full sponsered race kits standing on the line. Am I in the right place? Then the race starts and guys are yelling at others to get out of the way. Beginner, huh? No thanks.

mtbr member
    In a race I was in a few weeks back, a few young guys (probably HS class) would ask to pass me and then almost expected me to slow down so they could get around. I have no problems if someone wants to pass, but how about speeding up and getting around me. I had no expectations of winning and the people that were passing were not going to win either. It was like just because they "asked" to pass, it meant that I should slow down and move off the trail. When I pass people, I pretty much get my speed up and make the move as I am saying something like- "passing on your left". Maybe it is the lazy youth that feel entitled! Kidding!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'll move over, but I will not slow down. You haveto earn the pass to get it. Learned that after letting too many people by too easilly. The exception is if you're not in my category. In my series we mark legs so you know if it's someone in your age group/ category. If I'm not racing against you and you're faster, I'll slow down so you can get by.

mtbr member
    ryguy135: I'll move over, but I will not slow down. You have to earn the pass to get it.

I hate that attitude. It takes 1-2 seconds to slow a bit and let a fast rider by. And if you are willing to do this, it can be done anywhere, even tight singletrack. My last 2 races where 8 hour solos and I had to let fast team riders pass by many times. I could easily "make them earn it" but that is a pathetic thing to do. And I was on the podim in both races, so I am not exactly glacial in my riding.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    If the rider behind me doesn't announce that he wants to get by I don't move over. I know there have been times, especially in endurance races, that I'm happy to ride a wheel for a minute or two to recover so I assume that's what others are doing.

Is this proper etiquette?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    ryguy135: I'll move over, but I will not slow down. You have to earn the pass to get it.

I hate that attitude. It takes 1-2 seconds to slow a bit and let a fast rider by. And if you are willing to do this, it can be done anywhere, even tight singletrack. My last 2 races where 8 hour solos and I had to let fast team riders pass by many times. I could easily "make them earn it" but that is a pathetic thing to do. And I was on the podim in both races, so I am not exactly glacial in my riding.
    The trails I race on generally are wide enough that there's room for them to pass, just not on an optimum line. If someone's been riding my tail for a while and there's been no room for a pass to happen, then I'll slow down and let them by when a chance happens if I know they are a faster rider.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm fairly good and when someone is riding behind me for a while, I often ask if they would like to get around and tell them when it's ok to pass, i let off for about a pedal stroke and the rider comes around. If I'm getting lapped, I get out of the way, especially if it is a rider still in the money. It has zero impact on my race or my life, it's just a second or two.

My favorite are the guys who want to mix it up in the first K and chop me to get into a turn first then I find them 20 mins down in the results. They sure kicked my ass to the first tree, though.

I don't thing you need to be sugar sweet during the race, but considerate is hardly a stretch for anyone. When I do intervals I'm going hard and don't feel the need to yell at people, why is a race different?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akura View Post
    If the rider behind me doesn't announce that he wants to get by I don't move over. I know there have been times, especially in endurance races, that I'm happy to ride a wheel for a minute or two to recover so I assume that's what others are doing.

Is this proper etiquette?
    If they don't say anything for a long time ask them if they want to pass. Some people don't want to be rude.

mtbr member
    wow, u guys are great, thanks for all the replies! also sorry if there was another thread--still new to the site!
    a few rhetorical points--i never felt intimidated, usually just angry when the faster rider expected me to drive off into the saguaros so he could pass. true though, some riders were just loud, not rude or angry. then there was one racer, who actually asked me to let him know when it was safe to pass--wow! not sure i agree w/ slowing down so someone else can pass me...i get the point that i should slow down if they're not in my cat, but how will i know? sue their calves are marked, but i won't see that until they pass.. also, yes, while there are way too many sandbaggers in my class, it's was actually the cat 2 & 1 guys that lit me up. SWISSCROSS, while i don't share your attitude, i loved your reply--nice!!

thank again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice attitude to give a beginner. If in fact that's how you ride you put people in danger, and I hope that you are ok being put in the trees. I don't think anyone needs to "slow down" or get off the trail...if I'm passing I'll tell you I want to and ask what side you want me on and then I'm coming around. But being a self-proclaimed arse increases the likelihood of people crashing and getting hurt.

To the OP, just like in everything there are nice guys and jerks...follow the lead of the people around you

Dirt Huffer
    Don't take it personal. Sometimes it's hard to control the tone or volume of your voice at 165bpm in a high intensity enviroment.

mtbr member
    I don't see what the big deal is. It is a race after all and sometimes ones adrenaline is rushing. Couple that with operating near your max output and the subtleties of societies norms can get lost by the wayside. It's a race not afternoon tea. It's not personal.

On a totally unrelated note who knew that the language filter won't let you post in all caps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delgjor View Post
    wow, u guys are great, thanks for all the replies! also sorry if there was another thread--still new to the site!
    a few rhetorical points--i never felt intimidated, usually just angry when the faster rider expected me to drive off into the saguaros so he could pass. true though, some riders were just loud, not rude or angry. then there was one racer, who actually asked me to let him know when it was safe to pass--wow! not sure i agree w/ slowing down so someone else can pass me...i get the point that i should slow down if they're not in my cat, but how will i know? sue their calves are marked, but i won't see that until they pass.. also, yes, while there are way too many sandbaggers in my class, it's was actually the cat 2 & 1 guys that lit me up. SWISSCROSS, while i don't share your attitude, i loved your reply--nice!!

thank again!
    With experience, you'll be able to tell what class the rider is coming up on you. If they are slowly crawling up to you, they are probably in your race/cat and Swisscross's comment may apply. If they are motoring up to your wheel and have the energy to shout loudly that you should yield the trail, then you'll know they are in a faster class and you are getting lapped. You should move over ASAP and let them by.
    I'm in Cat 2. My last XC race this summer the Cat 1 leader caught me on my last climb of my last lap. I heard him coming and was out of his way before he caught me, it gave me a chance to give him a good cheer as he cruised past. The Cat 2 guy in front of me was a bit oblivious, Cat 1 guy called "trail" once loudly and the Cat 2 didn't even acknowledge. He then called much more forcefully "MOVE!" and even then it took the Cat 2 guy a bit of time to move. Based on my quick assessment of Cat 2 guy, he seemed a little inexperienced with the race scene and didn't realize that you will probably get lapped at some point. As it turns out, 2nd place Cat 1 guy was only about 30 seconds behind. Cat 1 guy was racing for the win, of course he's going to be mad when his trail is blocked by a noncompetitor for his race.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    With experience, you'll be able to tell what class the rider is coming up on you. If they are slowly crawling up to you, they are probably in your race/cat and Swisscross's comment may apply. If they are motoring up to your wheel and have the energy to shout loudly that you should yield the trail, then you'll know they are in a faster class and you are getting lapped. You should move over ASAP and let them by.
    I'm in Cat 2. My last XC race this summer the Cat 1 leader caught me on my last climb of my last lap. I heard him coming and was out of his way before he caught me, it gave me a chance to give him a good cheer as he cruised past. The Cat 2 guy in front of me was a bit oblivious, Cat 1 guy called "trail" once loudly and the Cat 2 didn't even acknowledge. He then called much more forcefully "MOVE!" and even then it took the Cat 2 guy a bit of time to move. Based on my quick assessment of Cat 2 guy, he seemed a little inexperienced with the race scene and didn't realize that you will probably get lapped at some point. As it turns out, 2nd place Cat 1 guy was only about 30 seconds behind. Cat 1 guy was racing for the win, of course he's going to be mad when his trail is blocked by a noncompetitor for his race.
    ^^^this

Registered Dietitian
    You guys who are offended by being yelled at during an organized competition are just lucky you don't race road bikes :0 Hell, more yelling happens on a typical large group ride than during an average MTB race.

Also must have never played any organized sport at a competitive level at all, for that matter... maybe cycling just attracts lots of guys who never played a sport before...
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

www.ascendthepeak.com

www.facebook.com/ascendthepeak

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    You guys who are offended by being yelled at during an organized competition are just lucky you don't race road bikes :0 Hell, more yelling happens on a typical large group ride than during an average MTB race.

Also must have never played any organized sport at a competitive level at all, for that matter... maybe cycling just attracts lots of guys who never played a sport before...
    bam!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    As an expert/cat1 racer, I deal with lapped traffic regularly in XC races. Don't be a Jerk is the best rule, the Passer and they being passed should both pay attention to this rule. Actually in our local series, within the same category, we let each other by when the other is going stronger on a section. It's asinine not to do so. I don't care who you are. There are some well known pro's who are a$$es about it, the reputation follows them and in the end helps them lose their contracts.

As a race promoter, we inform our customers that they need to pass nicely and allow people to pass nicely. ANd when people are jerks, we will DQ them and possibly ban them. It's a freakin hobby.

I'm just messing with you
    A local racer on a local ride said, don't get out of my way, I need the passing practice and I *will* get around you, guaranteed.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    good advise--thanks!

mtbr member
    you may have a point there... i wrestled throughout high school which didn't really involve "teamwork..." also the other guy didn't really yell much!
    too be clear, the majority of racers that passed me we're fine, it was a few bad apples that i felt were out of line. also, it was only a significant issue for me when there was no place for me to go!
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stupidbike View Post
    As an expert/cat1 racer, I deal with lapped traffic regularly in XC races. Don't be a Jerk is the best rule, the Passer and they being passed should both pay attention to this rule. Actually in our local series, within the same category, we let each other by when the other is going stronger on a section. It's asinine not to do so. I don't care who you are. There are some well known pro's who are a$$es about it, the reputation follows them and in the end helps them lose their contracts.

As a race promoter, we inform our customers that they need to pass nicely and allow people to pass nicely. ANd when people are jerks, we will DQ them and possibly ban them. It's a freakin hobby.
    i like your policy!

Now broadcasting from CO
    I would say that "Don't be a d-bag" is the prime rule of passing. If you've come up quickly on me and I know it, there's a good chance that I'll let you by when I feel it's safe for me to let you by. If you don't want to wait, then make your own damn pass, but don't be a jerk in doing so.

If I'm passing people, 95% of the time I'm polite about it. The 5% is when I'm hauling a$$ down some trail and I come to a slower rider, especially if I'm in a group. I've found that in races, the front rider in a group tends to announce his pass, but not that there are a bunch of other riders right on his wheel. It could make for a dangerous situation if the person being passed thinks there's only one rider coming and cuts back onto the trail after they are passed, cutting off all the other riders who are going the same speed as the first person. Then I will make sure, most likely by yelling, that the rider being passed knows that there's more than one person coming.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If I come up on someone quickly I give them a loud warning that I'm coming up on them from a long ways out. I tend to yell "Rider!" and hope that they can move when the time is right. I try to be as polite as possible and always say thank you the best that I can when passing. Sometimes it can be difficult when your pushing hard, but a thank you is always in order in my book, even if it sounds like TH---U. If it is not an opportune time in a tight section I just ask that I can get by when the time is right. If someone is on you hard, try and slow down "a little" and let them by as soon as possible, it will only take a second or two off your time. Everyone has their own race, but in XC if someone is clearly moving faster than you let them by ASAP, when you feel comfortable. I think it's good to give a good warning in advance because if you get on someone's wheel and yell at them, you're probably going to scare the crap out of them. Even if it is a hobby, when you are leading and putting a gap on someone, it is somewhat frustrating to have someone in another class not move over for you.
    Last edited by FD5046; 10-05-2011 at 10:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I usually say "How You Dooing!" when i come up on a slower rider. I feel bad when they jump off the trail just for me. Be polite. It's a hobby and not life and death.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker View Post
    I feel bad when they jump off the trail just for me. Be polite. It's a hobby and not life and death.
    I don't. If they are in a different category, and being lapped or caught from behind, I feel they should get over to allow me to pass as soon as is safely possible.

I always do the same if the fastest 40-49 Cat 1 guys catch me from behind (I'm in 30-39). They aren't my competition and I sure don't want to be a deciding factor in THEIR race.

It's not life and death, obviously, and I always ask politely to pass (several times) before becoming a bit more authoritative in my request. Most racers move over ASAP anyway without being asked as they can hear you coming. Occasionally someone will ignore the request (or, surprisingly, have managed to wear earbuds without being detected at the start) and need a bit more prodding.

The worst are those in one's own category who do not want to admit they cannot hold the pace. I am good at getting into the woods at the front but if I have a minor mechanical or crash and have to repass riders it can be a hassle sometimes if they do not want to allow you to do so.

My biggest peeve is the guys (doesn't happen often in Cat 1 but happened all the time in Cat 2) who blow their entire load to be first into the woods, then settle in to a pace WAY slower than the top guys can sustain, and refuse to be passed, actively blocking in some cases.

Had a shouting match with someone once who did this and only when 2-3 of us threatened to file a complaint post-race did he move over. The problem was that one rider got into the woods before him and was getting away while we were held up for about a 1/2 mile. It worked out OK; I won, teammate got 3rd and the rolling roadblock who had held us up got 2nd-to-last...
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

www.ascendthepeak.com

www.facebook.com/ascendthepeak

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Also, it's not just a case of Cat 1s lapping Cat 2s. Often, it's the fast guys of the next age group having to work through the slow guys of the younger age group. It's kind of a bummer to have a good gap on the rest of your group and then get held up by a slower rider while that gap disappears. However, I'm often the one getting passed, especially on climbs, and I try to let people by quickly when I can. Often, it helps out when I go to pass that same person on a tech or dh section. If you were nice enough to let them pass easy, they often return the favor.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I race to win. If somebody is slowing me down im gonna demand a pass. "I need to pass if you get a sec".

Im not in the business of sitting around slower than my potential during a race. Some people race for fun and might think im taking it too seriously but for me, racing is as competitive as it gets. Once you taste the podium you never want to go back.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member

+ 1! swisscross nailed it.

DynoDon
    GET A BELL!! or if you have one use it, it eliminates voice tone, lets the rider infront know much sooner that you're coming up on them,(they have more time to pick a wide spot at the top of a hill that doesn't slow anyone down) it makes the race more fun, takes the tension out of a pass, then yell at the singlespeeds as they go by, "SHIFT THAT THING" its suppose to be fun !!!
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

Bro Mountainbiker
    lol! my bell on my jabberwocky broke so I am bell less at the moment. Though I have one on my other bikes and I use em!

Though I kinda feel like more of an aszhole ringing a bell than asking to pass.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I finally got the courage to try mountain bike racing because there is a beginner class. I want to get out there and see how well I can do, but I have a fear of being in the way of other riders. I know to get over as soon as it's safe, but what if they think a particular spot is good, but because I'm not as skilled it doesn't look safe to me?

It occurred to me that with beginner class, if someone got pissy at me for holding them up they'd be taking beginner class way too seriously and I can just let their remarks roll off my back. Problem solved.

Funny thing is, the first race where I'm not injured and the race isn't canceled has all the riders out on the course at the same time. I predict the Men's Cat I racers will start lapping me about 3/4 way into my lap.

Oh well. I'll just do the best I can.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KAriadne View Post
    I finally got the courage to try mountain bike racing because there is a beginner class. I want to get out there and see how well I can do, but I have a fear of being in the way of other riders. I know to get over as soon as it's safe, but what if they think a particular spot is good, but because I'm not as skilled it doesn't look safe to me?.
    Just ride. If someone wants past don't intentionally block block them but don't feel forced to move if you can't do so safely. Passing is part of racing and people will deal with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker View Post
    GET A BELL!! or if you have one use it, it eliminates voice tone, lets the rider infront know much sooner that you're coming up on them,(they have more time to pick a wide spot at the top of a hill that doesn't slow anyone down) it makes the race more fun, takes the tension out of a pass, then yell at the singlespeeds as they go by, "SHIFT THAT THING" its suppose to be fun !!!
    Conversely, as a singlespeeder, I always say "How about a little love for the singlespeeder?", makes laugh and they let me slide by,
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast