mtbr member

stomach/esophagus pain when eating after racing hard.

started doing a short track series, last week got second and this week won, in cat 1, so I'm racing pretty hard.
    Last week I noticed that after the race when eating dinner, I got some pain/discomfort in my stomach or esophagus area, sort of felt like my stomach was already full and almost felt like throwing up a little too. Lasted for a few hours...
    I didn't think much of it till after this race and got the same thing.
    I have never gotten this doing 2 hour XC races, just now for these 30-40 min mega intense races.
    Anyone else get this? Any advice or explanations?

Thanks

It's about showing up.

Short of acknowledging that race efforts

especially the short intense ones are brutal on the body and it can take a while to get things back to "normal", I got nothin' but this. Most of us react to such efforts like most humans; our digestive systems shut down to various levels to allow blood and vital nutrients already in other organs to supply muscles with blood and fuel. Some people can't eat anything during racing, some only certain foods. Different people can eat at different times after hard efforts. This effort may have taken your body to a new place and now your digestive system is coming back on line much later.

You may have to experiment with the kinds and volume of things you take in after a race. Yo may have to work up to "real food."

Be patient. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the good info and explanation, I figured it was something like that, but sort of had the bad idea that maybe my stomach could get twisted or something, haha. Guess those STXC races really do a number on you, but they are pretty dam fun!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by willymcd
    started doing a short track series, last week got second and this week won, in cat 1, so I'm racing pretty hard.
    Last week I noticed that after the race when eating dinner, I got some pain/discomfort in my stomach or esophagus area, sort of felt like my stomach was already full and almost felt like throwing up a little too. Lasted for a few hours...
    I didn't think much of it till after this race and got the same thing.
    I have never gotten this doing 2 hour XC races, just now for these 30-40 min mega intense races.
    Anyone else get this? Any advice or explanations?

Thanks
    Could be acid reflux that kicked up from the effort.

The Pain Train
    Jun 2010
    I get the same effect from playing hockey. After playing hard I feel almost sick to my stomach and can't eat anything substantial for a little while. A few pints and slowly picking away at some chicken wings or nachos does seem to help though.
    I wouldn't be too worried.
    Nick Armstrong
    -Windsor Cliff 4900
    RockShox Dart2, Deore FD, Deore XT RD, TruVativ 5D, Alex DP17, WTB Velociraptors

mtbr member
    I would pop a few TUMS before and after your race, and nibble at food, spacing it out, instead of eating a regular big meal all at once.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Try maybe liquid (healthy) calories for awhile before real food?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It also might have something to do with what you eat before the race. You might try being extra careful to keep it bland and easily digestible and over 3 hours before your warmup. And even the meals before that, avoid the typical downfalls of dairy, high fat, too spicy, etc.

When I run a footrace (like 10K or whatever) I have to be extra scrupulous or I pay the price.

Members who have read this thread: 0