mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Stiffer suspention for XC??

I ride an all mountain bike, 6in of travel, weighing in at 34lbs! not ideal for XC racing. However, lately I have been really into racing. My forks and shock are air, will I get better race performance if I increased the pressure to reduce bob? will this make it handle like terrible? The courses I run don't require much suspension.

Thanks for your input!

AZ
    banned
    Swap most of your components to a hard tail and reap the rewards of pedaling 8 lbs. less bike with no pedal bob.

mtbr member
    The Intense Spider has the lower link at the bottom bracket, there are others but this link all but eliminates bob, I can go out of the saddle without loosing power..look at the design of the mountain bike and decide on the compromises you are willing to take.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    CP16, If you are interested in continuing to race XC, especially on relatively smooth courses, you should definitely look into getting another bike. To answer your question, yes, increasing the air pressure in your fork and shock will decrease bob and will make your bike a bit more efficient. But even then, a 34lb, 6-inch-travel AM bike is really too much for even halfway serious XC racing. If you're just getting into it, that's fine! Any bike will do to get you started. However, if you get more serious, you will need to look at hardtails or short-travel XC race bikes.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.