Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Staying in shape over the winter if you cant ride

So after riding all summer I feel like I've gotten myself into much better shape. I wont be able to ride much over the winter. What can I do indoors over the winter to stay in shape so all my summer work doesn't go to waste?

AZ
    banned
    Indoor trainer , weights , yoga etc. Anything you can do to stay active . I ride on the rollers when its not possible to ride outdoors , lift weights all winter as well as yoga .

Can't feel my legs
    XC skiing if you can get out.

Rediscovered
    Pick up a trainer, spare rear wheel and cassette, and mount up a low-resistance tire and spin indoors.

Or grab a monthly membership to a gym and do spin classes through the winter.

Regardless, pick up some winter riding gear and hit the trails.

I've done spin classes from January-April for the past two years, it's definitely helped keep me in shape/gotten me in better shape for the upcoming seasons. I think I'm going to try doing some yoga this winter.

I also ride through the winter. Don't let the cold or the snow discourage you.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Find something to do outside.

Trainers work but they are hard on your sanity.

I do a ton of XC skiing. The cross over is amazing, as long as you do a bit of trainer work, you come out of the winter ready to fly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Find a CrossFit gym... that's the way to do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Force yourself to ride outside, get a decent light so you won't die

XC Skiing is amazing..... if you live where it snows you should definitely be doing this.

Spin classes with a difficult instructor helps a lot too.

mtbr member
    Join a Crossfit gym or do it at home.
    P90X. Buy/download the dvds and workout at home.
    Join the YMCA/local gym. One with a pool and rowing machines would be awesome. No, you don't use the rowing machine in the pool. :P
    Ski.
    Run.
    Yoga.
    Plyometrics.
    Lift weights or other heavy things.
    Learn MMA, basketball, soccer or any other sport just for fun.
    Ride indoors on a trainer.

mtbr member
    I was stressing over the same thing but I recently joined a four month cycling training camp run by a licensed USA cycling coach. You take a sub-max wattage test which places you in either the sport, expert, or elite program. It is held at a local athletic club in a spin room 7 days a week. I think it will be a great camp but what I am most pleased with is it eliminates the stress of finding ways to maintain fitness and increase strenth over the off season when its tough to ride outside, especially in the SLC area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Winter training

I am in the same boat. Challenging to live up North.

Cross-country ski if you can, very good cross-training activity. With spikes, you can run also. Winter biking with studed tires is fun. I find that core workouts during the off-season really make you stronger and help avoid injuries. I used to neglect this part of training too much, not anymnore.

Brant-C.
    i ride my mtb on the road after work with lights to a trailhead; then i ride back. it takes about 3 hours. but i live in a very rural area where i don't have to worry about traffic.

otherwise; weights, running, trainer or rollers.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    why can't you train / get outside? you can run in just about any weather, that is good for fitness, takes far less time than the bike, you won't be cold after about 3 minutes, can do it right out your door.

why not buy or build a winter bike and ride outside? in most places you don't really need studs. even just 2 or 3 times a week for an hour helps keep the legs spinning and muscle memory. combined with a couple of times running, swimming, snowshoeing, hiking, even hockey, you'll be fine in spring.

the point is just keep active, try other sports, don't feel the weather needs to end all outdoor activity.

mtbr member
    Go to the gym and work on all of the things that you donít work out while riding. Get balanced and get in great general shape. After a season of cycling (or any sport for that matter) your body is very unbalanced because it has adapted to a very specific task. Getting in great general shape and then doing lots of non cycling activities will help you out in the long run. Also remember to take a couple of weeks off if you have been doing a lot of activity recently to let your body recover.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

gunslinger
    I have a gym in my basement:

(4) stations: flat bench, incline bench, military & lat pull-downs (all plate loaded)
    (1) C2E w/ PM4
    (1) Spinning NXT
    (1) True 550
    (1) dip/pull-up station
    lots of dumbbells
    42" plasma running P90-X (or my wife's stuf - she trains down there too)

With (4) boys, it made sense to go top drawer and get stuf that would last.

It ain't pretty and I've got to move stuf from time to time, but it gets the job done...

mtbr member
    Nice.

*thumbs up*

mtbr member
    Very nice.

The more time goes on the more I want my own place to work out of.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Very nice set-up, I bought a C2 this year and what a workout.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2424
    Very nice.

The more time goes on the more I want my own place to work out of.
    I put my money into things like the C2, treadmill & spinner. The weight stations were nothing in comparision. All that equipment will last for a long time and even thru my sons w/ little maintenance. It may take some time to pay back, but it's convienent, no lines and always open. I'm cool w/ paying a premium for that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Snowshoe

Try snowshoes. You can take them on your mountain bike trails and get a great workout if you go fairly fast and pick trails with lots of hills. Great workout!

gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by ErickKTM
    They're pretty cool. It's funny to see people that haven't rowed hop on one and just start pulling away, then about 45 seconds later they realize that pace will kill them if maintained. Unfortunately since having my hip come apart then putting it back together, for some reaon, of all stuf I can do now (pretty much any/everything), rowing still causes me some discomfort deep in the joint. I can do it, but at a mild pace (better than nothing).

My left side back in July:

I've actually recovered VERY well/quickly. Barely 4 months out and I'm like 97% back. Was riding the MTB withing less than 2 months and already snowboarding, albeit somewhat cautiously for now.

Tip: don't ever dislocate a hip.

mtbr member

Thats the bomb!

____

mtbr member

Progress

I have a little spare tire but have done well so far, I rode more last winter though.

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    I picked up running this year---nice change up. Also, if you have access to a pool, swimming is awesome and very low impact. I like to do my laps after a good session of cross training in the gym. Spin classes are also a lot of fun and a good class can help push you out of your comfort zone. I still ride outside if its warmer than 15 degrees, not on my road bike though, its too fast. I ride my singlespeed with some very slow rolling Jones ACX's on it and stay to shoulder as much as possible, great workout. Basically, 8 hours outside, 3 hours inside, 15 miles of running, 3 hours of indoor cross training, 1/2 mile of swimming and a day off. Man, that sounds like a lot, but I only work 40 hours a week.

VIP
    Jun 2006
    Don't eat all the pies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast