Thread: SSandbagging

mtbr member

SSandbagging

Probably not going to get a lot of love for this thread, but I wonder if others have the same experience: Have you seen that racers who either don't want to upgrade to Cat 1, or have raced Cat 1 and don't want to devote the time to training (or can't podium every time) start racing singlespeed?

Personally I feel that you should choose what bike suits you best and it not be given a special category. However it seems that the leading edge of SS doesn't really have any greater love of 1FG either, they're just kind of "Cat 2A" and trying to skirt the rules. So much so that in a neighboring state they have separated into "Singlespeed Open" and "Cat 2/3 single speed."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Back in 2004-2005, when I was racing ss exclusively, the ss classes ( both cat 1 & cat 2 used to be the biggest and t h e fastest. Back then I was either winning or placing high up in cat 1 ss. I'm 51 now and too old to be competing against a bunch 20-30 year olds, but the classes are smaller now and some races I've seen just have an open ss class and that's it.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Probably not going to get a lot of love for this thread, but I wonder if others have the same experience: Have you seen that racers who either don't want to upgrade to Cat 1, or have raced Cat 1 and don't want to devote the time to training (or can't podium every time) start racing singlespeed?
    Yes. I have also seen guys race SS in the geared Pro category.

Some people like to race against their equals, some prefer to be a big fish in a little pond.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes I have seen plenty of people who are upgraded to Cat 1 go Single Speed. Single Speed category is no joke around here lots of strong riders. I have even seen some Cat 1 riders race both category's in the same day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post

Personally I feel that you should choose what bike suits you best and it not be given a special category. However it seems that the leading edge of SS doesn't really have any greater love of 1FG either, they're just kind of "Cat 2A" and trying to skirt the rules. So much so that in a neighboring state they have separated into "Singlespeed Open" and "Cat 2/3 single speed."
    does it impact you when such riders are off the front of the race, other than pushing you further back in the results? would you be winning otherwise?

regarding not separating bikes based on gearing, have you ridden an SS around a pack of people on geared bikes, especially going uphill on singletrack? ever get a bunched of geared riders trapped behind you as you spin out on a downhill? that would detract from the fun a lot more than some sandbaggers racing off the front.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    The fields are pretty deep in S. California compared to many states. Even here, if you were to break ss into cats, then the fields would be 3 deep. Lame. No perfect answer here it seems...

I do understand the frustration though..