mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Sports/Electrolyte Drink Mixes

It seems that many of the Sports Drink Mixes are maltodextrin mixed with electrolytes and flavoring. In bulk you can get maltodextrin for $1-$3/pound, and with some Hammer Endurolytes Powder plus a little flavoring you would be ahead of the game from a cost perspective. Am I missing something here? Has anyone else tried this? Am I asking something that has been asked 1000 times already?

B

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dodo
    It seems that many of the Sports Drink Mixes are maltodextrin mixed with electrolytes and flavoring. In bulk you can get maltodextrin for $1-$3/pound, and with some Hammer Endurolytes Powder plus a little flavoring you would be ahead of the game from a cost perspective. Am I missing something here? Has anyone else tried this? Am I asking something that has been asked 1000 times already?

B

This is a blurb in a recent Bicycling (not that this says very much for it's validity) about some more cost effective alternatives to energy drinks. they specifically talked about sucrose, fructose, etc.

One idea suggested was powdered lemonade drinks with some salt added.

I'll try and find the article and post more from it.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

mtbr member
    May 2005

B
    It is do-able but the cost isn't much cheaper especially when you factor in the time to mix together the ingredients in set ratios. The reason it might be much cheaper is if you use lower-quality ingredients. I know a guy (I don't have his contact info) who makes his own, but to get quality malto-dextrin he had to buy it in bulk in 50 lb bags and the minimum order was $100. It did last him for about 2 years, but he had to still buy other ingredients to add into the product.

some kind of hero...

B
    I did this a few years ago and I used powdered Koolade (non-sweetened) with a dash of sucrose as the flavoring. I added maltodextrin, some kosher salt, vitamin C, vitamin B and L-Glutamine. There are potassium pills that you can break down as well if you want to mix your own electrolytes. E-load has the caplets if you want a commercial product. This worked fine once I got the proportions right, but it was inconvenient, so I went back to the grossly overpriced pre-packaged over-hyped and better tasting stuff ...

BTW - I heard that it's hard to beat a glass of chocolate milk for recovery...

Good luck
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by airman
    I did this a few years ago and I used powdered Koolade (non-sweetened) with a dash of sucrose as the flavoring. I added maltodextrin, some kosher salt, vitamin C, vitamin B and L-Glutamine. There are potassium pills that you can break down as well if you want to mix your own electrolytes. E-load has the caplets if you want a commercial product. This worked fine once I got the proportions right, but it was inconvenient, so I went back to the grossly overpriced pre-packaged over-hyped and better tasting stuff ...

BTW - I heard that it's hard to beat a glass of chocolate milk for recovery...

Good luck
    The chocolate milk for recovery is ok, the problem is then you are drinking extra fat most of which is saturated and then drinking the processed simple sugars in the chocolate. If you choose Soy milk to eliminate the fat, you are now missing the Whey protein that assists muscle repair.