a.k.a. BicycleKicks

SportLegs good for high altitude riding?

I'll be riding at 7000-9000 ft this weekend for the first time ever... not racing, just riding.

Would Sportlegs help me in any way, or are they really just good for high effort racing?

If the main problem at altitude is just oxygen, then perhaps they won't help, but it seems to me like it might help a little.

Any 'pinions on this?
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    it may help your legs, but not the elevation. you should be ok I live at sealevel and race in the mountains (8000ft) and although I feel it...i'm OK. It takes me about 1.5hrs to get from the beach to 8000ft....so I don't have any time to get used to the altitude before the race.

You should be fine (a couple aspirin may help)
    To prevent altitude sickness you can take Diamox or ginko biloba is supposed to help, but it's really for elevations of 12,000+. I took aspirin and never had a problem up to 19,000ft

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

Aspirin... good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ptfmb71
    it may help your legs, but not the elevation. you should be ok I live at sealevel and race in the mountains (8000ft) and although I feel it...i'm OK. It takes me about 1.5hrs to get from the beach to 8000ft....so I don't have any time to get used to the altitude before the race.

You should be fine (a couple aspirin may help)
    To prevent altitude sickness you can take Diamox or ginko biloba is supposed to help, but it's really for elevations of 12,000+. I took aspirin and never had a problem up to 19,000ft
    That's pretty cool... I'll pack some aspirin tonight and chase it with a couple of Sportlegs Mmmmm. Thanks.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The best altitude advice is to drink lots of water and maybe take in some extra electrolites you may feel more worked than usual. How low are you coming from anyway?

Ridin' Dirty
    just to double-check.
    Would I be able to use advil instead of aspirin?
    I might be allergic to aspirin.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    I heard loading up on Iron supplements helps a bit. Start loading for a week or so ahead of time.

I tried it for a high altitude stage race (11,000), but I don't know if it really helped since I ride at altitude all the time anyways (6000-8500).

mutaullyassuredsuffering

nope

Quote Originally Posted by Bgrafk
    just to double-check.
    Would I be able to use advil instead of aspirin?
    I might be allergic to aspirin.
    All advil will do is burn a hole in your stomach. It doesn't have the desired affect on circulation at all.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dadat40
    The best altitude advice is to drink lots of water and maybe take in some extra electrolites you may feel more worked than usual. How low are you coming from anyway?
    yes this is by far the most important part to activity in high elevations

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It might help more to read the advertising copy for Sportlegs twenty minutes before riding and repeating it later like a mantra when your legs and lungs are burning at altitude than to actually ingest the product.