mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Splitting up trainer time...

The winter is upon us in the grea white north. Im returning to racing next year and Im trying to build a base now. My question is this. On days when I work, I can get into the hall early and ride for an hour to an hour and a half before work. During my shift, I can ride for another 1.5hrs providing I dont get a call.

Since this would be a typical endurance day, is there any drawback to splitting a 3hr endurance ride up into two parts of the day or is continual seat time what I should be going after? My boys might thank me in the long run anyways

Brant-C.
    i don't see why not.

there are folks that commute an hour each way and it helps them build a base.

if i had the time and butt kicking to ride morning and evening on the trainer/rollers i would definitely go for it.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great

The only real drawback of splitting your endurance rides up is you lose chances to practice fueling. On 3,4,5 hour plus rides you can experience the need to eat early and often and try out different foods to find something that works for you. 1.5 hours is a long trainer ride. Ouch
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    No kidding. At about the 45-60 minute mark I can't take it any longer. I usually mix in some intervals or simulated hills to keep it interesting. Seems to help.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Im good up until an hour and half, maybe an hour and fourty five minutes. After that its a bit much for one sitting on the trainer. Im good with my fueling and I know what my body likes, so splitting things up really doesnt take away from practicing that.

This winter Ill be trying to do some blocks on my endurance days if Im not at the Firehall. Ex. Ride 90mins, Bodyweight Circuit/Snowshoe/Jog/Shovel snow outside 30-60 mins, Ride 30-60mins.

Im only going to have one long day per week like this so Im going to my best to keep it fresh. Other days are comprised of Sub LT intervals for now which help pass the time.