mtbr member

spinning classes?

Do you guys think it's a good idea to take spinning classes to increase stamina, speed, endurance, etc...

mtbr member
    Well, spin classes or Spinerval/CTS DVDs are good for short interval type training, but usually they are not long enough for endurance training. Thats just my opinion, I'm sure others will differ.

BTW, I use Spinervals and do feel I'm getting a quality workout in an hour or so.

mtbr member
    I'm going to go to one tommorow afternoon to check it out thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    if you go at prime time get a bike in the back, great view(only if there are girls there). the classes are great if you have a good instructor. some of them take it too far and dont know what they are doing but most are great, and some actually have a real bike

mtbr member
    good idea i will get a seat at the back, hopefully their will be some girls

Natural body armor
    I started spinning classes over a year ago and it has made a lot of difference for me in terms of training.
    The first important thing is that I'm getting two extra biking (well, pedaling) sessions a week, during the lunch break. It would be impossible to do the same on a bike in 60 minutes.

You need to find a good instructor, that actually knows what is doing.
    If the music is right and the training routines are varied you will enjoy it and benefit from it.
    I agree it doesnt do much for endurance, but helped my sprinting and explosive power for sure.
    "There is no A-line"
    Savvy Bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Stupid Question: Why would it not do much for endurance if you are "spinning"/pedaling for one hour straight?

MTB B'dos

Be careful

Remember that thyey are like track bikes - you can't stop pedaling. SO just try to remember that 'cause you'll take you MTB instain cts in there and go hard and then go for the usual "rest" and coast and you could get kicked over the bars if you were really haulin a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by "Special"ized
    I'm going to go to one tommorow afternoon to check it out thanks for the advice
    "cause you need to be riding for a lot longer than 1 hour to increase endurance and you don't need to be haulin a$$ like they do either, you need to be keeping a good steady pace at around 60-70% Max HR.
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieBiker
    Stupid Question: Why would it not do much for endurance if you are "spinning"/pedaling for one hour straight?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Thanks for that bit of advice, I got to the class today, and got my ass handed to me a couple times when i forgot i couldn't stop.
    jumpin' stumps with grace and ease

Grand Poobah
    I'm going to put a fixed gear wheel on with my trainer and see how much I can punish myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieBiker
    If you are racing beginner then an hour training may be doing some good in the endurance dept. If you're racing expert at 2hours or so per race than 1 hour spins will do little good for the endurace. Long slow ride will build the best endurance. Good luck with the training and let us know how it goes!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0