Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    BDT
    mtbr member

Spinning Class...

Today was suppose to be a 3hr ride but the weather was horrible / trails were closed. Last resort (I don't own a trainer/rollers), I went to the Y to ride a stationary bike. After an hour on the bike a Spin Class was starting so I jumped in to check it out. It was a little weird, I was the only dude and the leader played country music while singing along, but it was better than riding alone on the stationary.

Do any of you ever go to spinning classes?
    Where would a Spin Class fit into a training schedule? Interval work / Recovery?
    How can this type of training help with MTBing? cadence? pedal stroke? fitness?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDT
    Today was suppose to be a 3hr ride but the weather was horrible / trails were closed. Last resort (I don't own a trainer/rollers), I went to the Y to ride a stationary bike. After an hour on the bike a Spin Class was starting so I jumped in to check it out. It was a little weird, I was the only dude and the leader played country music while singing along, but it was better than riding alone on the stationary.

Where would a Spin Class fit into a training schedule? Interval work / Recovery?

Thanks
    Yes. 3 times a week in December ~ February. I have known spin instructors that won mountain bike races. Since they are usually only 50 minutes, I try to maximize intensity. I work on pedal stroke, and generally my cadence is higher than when I MTB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Good Stuff

I'm also thinking about re-joining a gym to do spin classes this winter.
    Here our winters aren't THAT bad, but the trails/roads can still get muddy and briefly snowed under. I am going with a "Time Crunched Cyclist" type training this year, so intervals (like a spin session) and at least one long ride outside is the Rx.

I did these classes two years ago and liked the camraderie of the group...

A few things to keep in mind:
    1) take time to get the bike well fit, I had some knee pain that correlated with spinning
    2) sweat issues - I'm not a man that sweats a ton, but in that room I was always drenched
    3) eye-candy can motivate you

mtbr member
    1. +1 for eye candy
    2. You can also compete if you have power meters or if the flywheels are friction loaded (hottest flywheel wins)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just did my first spin class today as well. I'm also doing weight training to build muscle strength and endurance. I'm hoping to start XC racing next season, hopefully once I get a good replacement bike and the trails solidify.
    Like you, it was nothing but women (unfortunately, I'm engaged so the eye candy isn't a motivator), and the instructor played a weird mix of music. But, it was a great workout, IMO.
    Besides spin and weights, is there anything else to recommend on the off season? Before this, all I did was ride 3-4 times a week, for 1-2 hrs at a time.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRider08
    Just did my first spin class today as well. I'm also doing weight training to build muscle strength and endurance. I'm hoping to start XC racing next season, hopefully once I get a good replacement bike and the trails solidify.
    Like you, it was nothing but women (unfortunately, I'm engaged so the eye candy isn't a motivator), and the instructor played a weird mix of music. But, it was a great workout, IMO.
    Besides spin and weights, is there anything else to recommend on the off season? Before this, all I did was ride 3-4 times a week, for 1-2 hrs at a time.

Cross country skiing , snow shoeing , anything that keeps you active .

mtbr member
    Just stay active ... good diet, 72+ oz water per day, vitamins, 8 hours sleep per night, and workout daily.

Dirty South Underdog
    ...unfortunately, I'm engaged so the eye candy isn't a motivator...
    I didn't know that engagement caused blindness

I went to my first spin class of the winter last night. The weather finally drove me indoors, and I'd rather have a kidney stone than ride a trainer, so I usually replace an interval workout or two with it.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

BDT
    mtbr member
    +10 Eye Candy if you go to a yoga class. I go for the stretching / core workout, but the ladies o' yoga class make me happy.

Andrea138 - Is that a Corgi in your avatar?

Dirty South Underdog
    Yep..

BDT
    mtbr member
    I've got a Corgi. A 22lb squirrel chasing monster. Where / What is the context of that photo?

Dirty South Underdog
    The original is a one-handed victory salute @ the end of a criterium... someone added the corgi in later as a bonus!

dog lover-not in that way
    I've been doing a noon mon-wed-fri spin class since Sept and I think they make me much stronger on the bike. I have to really push myself to get any benefit but having the music and everyone else there working their ass off makes it easier. It's manly a group of roadies (not hot women), so no candy

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I didn't know that engagement caused blindness
    That's what i was thinking!!! WTF? I'm happily married and can see just fine

Anywho, back on subject, when i get late off work i started to go to spin class for the winter, last night was interval night so i was a happy camper...

mtbr member
    "offseason" Get of your bike. You will be more motivated when you start up closer to your season start. You are more injury prone if you never stop riding. Just my $.02.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A sing-alone country spin class? That's too much! Some random observations from spin classes over the years:
    1) it's interesting how much that want you out of the saddle
    2) it's interesting how an overweight 20 year old seems to handle being out of the saddle better then a fit man with 20+ years of cycling experience
    3) I've often had instructors insist that my 90-120 rpm was unacceptable and I should be doing about 60-80

gunslinger
    Yes - right down in my basement.

All of those, just be real w/ the resistance - don't slack off.

In the rear with the beer
    Went to my first spin class in a while last night...went to my second this morning (with wife in tow). The eye candy (especially my wife) definitely helps keep my mind more occupied that staring at my garage door on the trainer at home. Whenever I don't really like what the instructor is doing (like those out of saddle butt position changes), I usually just start doing my own workout, no one ever seems to notice or at least say anything....although this morning, I was doing a final interval while the instructor had everyone else stop so I guess I stood out a little at that point...but still, no one said anything and I got some good work in. I also tend to win the sweat puddle contest, which would be a point of pride in a normal cycling group but probably just grossed out the group today....hope no one slipped in it afterwards.....

mtbr member
    I usually just start doing my own workout, no one ever seems to notice or at least say anything...
    Oh, people notice for sure, but no on ever says anything about it. Now maybe those of us who do notice are just ass-hats, but it is a group class and probably similar to a group road ride when you start half wheeling people or falling off of the peleton. I have heard instructors complain.

There is a synergy to the group effort. I generally follow the instructors plan, and go to multiple instructors. It make me ride differently and out of my comfort zone.

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    ...hope no one slipped in it afterwards.....
    FYI- You're supposed to clean that up when you're finished so someone else doesn't have to.

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    FYI- You're supposed to clean that up when you're finished so someone else doesn't have to.
    Take it easy, it was a joke

Dirty South Underdog
    I used to teach spin class when I was an undergrad... you'd be surprised at how many people think that it's someone else's job to clean their sweat up off of the floor/bike!

mtbr member
    was a little weird, I was the only dude
    sounds like u hade a good class LOL
    2008 trek 7200
    2010 STUMPJUMPER FSR elite, tubeless =stans added..
    2007 yamaha rhino for the trails

29er Fan Boy
    Nov 2009
    *Looking up spinning classes*

mtbr member
    Definetly weird at first. Your Max HR will be down about 20-30. My max HR is 206 and i only reached 170. Just tried keeping my RPM around 90. With only 2 or 3 dudes in a 30 person spin class, the eye candy is abundant! If you are a competitor and want to get a good workout, expect to get some looks! First class i was going all out trying to get the best out of the 50 min's and i was getting some crazy looks. WTF is this guy doing?? Also I hate CHEATERS!! Spin classes have a lot of "cheaters" in it. The bikes should have a pre-set 50%, 80%, 90%+ resistance. Don't cheat! Just work harder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast