mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Spinervals DVD question

i just ordered a spinervals dvd to go with my new trainer, my question is using a mountain bike with it, ive noticed the dvds seem to be geared toward roadbikes. will i be able to reep the benefits of the training with the gearing of a MTB. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using a mountain bike with the videos.

Epic Photographer
    Oct 2006
    I rode "The Uphill Grind" on both my mountain and road bike. Just use your heart rate as a guide. The spinnervals DVDs have a graph of your "target heart rate" at the top of the screen. So if he is calling for 53x15 and you are riding 44x15 and the target heart rate is 90% and you are riding 80% you have two choices:

1. Gear up (doesn't help much when he calls for 53x12, you might not have anywhere up to go)
    2. Increase the resistance on your trainer.

In "The Uphill Grind" there is a pro on a mountain bike and she doesn't seem too bothered by it.

No longer 26
    Even with my road bike I hardly ever match the gear called out. I almost always try to match cadence and HR level that Coach Troy is calling for.

I just got the Lake Placid outdoor ride and it is pretty good for those rainy day longer rides.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...