mtbr member
    Jun 2009

spin vs. trainer?

next year will be my first XC mtn season...either here in Indiana or in Austin TX if I can land a job down there.

for those of you that are currently racing what do you feel is more worth while? I love spin class as it has other people and you can actually try and "out work" them and while on my trainer I find myself getting very bored and not working quite as hard.

So I just wanted to get some racers opinions on the topic

thanks

FDC
    '99 GT Aggressor 1x9 XT shadow, race face ride XC and Judy TT's and Panaracer XC pro

'09 Fisher Paragon 29'er

AZ
    banned
    Your workng harder at spin class , guess what my answer is .

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    well yes i know working harder is a good thing i just didn't know if spin really helped with racing XC or if i just needed to suck it up and get over he boredom of the stationary trainer. Thanks for the feedback
    '99 GT Aggressor 1x9 XT shadow, race face ride XC and Judy TT's and Panaracer XC pro

'09 Fisher Paragon 29'er

Teen Wolf
    i don't have the mentality to sit on a trainer and actually work myself. with spin class i have fun, get a better work-out, and spend less time in the saddle. i love spin.

mtbr member
    Do what works for you. If spin classes keep you spinning, then go for it.

I gave spin classes a try, and this is why I don't do them:
    -Can't stand most instructors (two in our area are great, but that's it)
    -Have to join an expensive gym with annual contract to get access to these instructors
    -Can't dial in the spin bikes just how I like them; height adjustments aren't fine enough
    -Don't like the saddles on those bikes; don't want to bring my own saddle
    -Short cranks (170mm), and different Q-factors

AND THE TOP REASON:
    -By the time I drive to spin class, get my stuff ready, and drive home......I could of done 1 hour on the rollers at home.

2 of our local bike shops are doing spin classes now (no instructor, just a big screen TV with movies), so I'm going to go check those out. I believe they have really high end spin bikes with fine adjustments, and Powermeters. That might work for me.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    I love spin classes. They have made a big difference for me in my racing. They are also the ony way I get to turn pedals during the week.
    At my local gym, there are a bunch of different trainers to chose from. Some are non-bikers, just gym trainers. Others are Ironman Triatheletes.You can guess whose classes are better
    One instructor likes to spend the class off of his bike, coaching the trainees, often getting in our faces like a drill instrutor. Everybody loves his classes. He has coached me to several hard 200BPM HR efforts That would never happen siting on a set of rollers in my garage.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    I love spin classes. They have made a big difference for me in my racing. They are also the ony way I get to turn pedals during the week.
    At my local gym, there are a bunch of different trainers to chose from. Some are non-bikers, just gym trainers. Others are Ironman Triatheletes.You can guess whose classes are better
    One instructor likes to spend the class off of his bike, coaching the trainees, often getting in our faces like a drill instrutor. Everybody loves his classes. He has coached me to several hard 200BPM HR efforts That would never happen sitting on a set of rollers in my garage.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    I love spin bikes, but hate spin classes. The first clue came when the instructor turned all the lights off. WTF? I know some people are a little shy, but common!

The next clue came when she started screaming instructions, and kept screaming and screaming ... Finally all the idiotic bouncing and "upper body exercises" on the spin bike just turned me right off.

Unlike many people, I have no problems getting motivated and working out hard on my own and on any bike, so no more spin classes for me. But I do spend a lot of my winter on the spin bike.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    spinning never really benefited true cyclist. That's why I invested in an IDC studio that has the Real Ryder. Check out the video on our website. I have proven that it is much more effective than a std stationary bike.

http://www.spinkicks.ca/

AZ
    banned
    Spin class + hot chicks = Motivation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    our bike club/team used to have roller night at a vfw hall a few blocks from the bikeshop sponcer, that was probabely better than any spin class. Ironicly now that it's become more of a team and less of a club,the spin session is at a memebers garage a few towns away,after christmas i'll be checking that out.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Spin class + hot chicks = Motivation.
    In the winter I go to spin classes for this reason. Between Nordic and backcountry sking I keep pretty fit and a couple spin classes per week keep some cycling specific muscle memory in my legs. I really don't like any of the instructors but I only take their instructions as general guidlines anyway, I certainly don't think of it as race training.

Otherwise, it's the chicks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scarsellone
    spinning never really benefited true cyclist. That's why I invested in an IDC studio that has the Real Ryder. Check out the video on our website. I have proven that it is much more effective than a std stationary bike.

Absolutist statements like this aren't going to help your marketing. People who have experience to the contrary are going to automatically think you are FOS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    trainer.....

agree totally with pros/cons above....i have my own tv and cycling videos and power meter on bike, so i know i am doing the interval right......

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

That looks cool. Was that a racedayrush video showing?

I can barely find time to get to my own "bike room" let alone drive into T.O. to ride, so I won't be trying it out, but good luck.

mtbr member
    scarsellone: spinning never really benefited true cyclist. That's why I invested in an IDC studio that has the Real Ryder. Check out the video on our website. I have proven that it is much more effective than a std stationary bike.

I saw your video and I am trying to imagine why on earth would you say that spinning never benefited a true cyclist. Your video shows people spinning. The only difference is that the bike tilts a bit when riding out of saddle. Are you trying to tell us that a tilting bike will give superior fitness?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

AZ
    banned

Dude , WTF , it says spin right on the advertisement . If your gonna SPAM the board your gonna have to be better than that .