Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speedplay Syzr

Dirty South Underdog

Speedplay Syzr

Anyone got your hands on a set of these yet? I use the Zeros on my road bike, and I'd love to have the same feel/float limit on my MTB. http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...rst-look-26816
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mnoutain bkie rdier
    No, have not seen them on the market yet. Been eyeing those too.

For sale here:??
    http://www.bike24.net/p218328.html

mtbr member
    not even on the speedplay website. they look nice though.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Floating cleat looks to be problematic.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    How the hell is some site able to "sell" a pedal (of which is allegedly in stock) that, by all other accounts (including speedplay's) is not yet available. Speedplay has, upon request, continued to play the early next season card, for oooohhh, the past several years...

talentless hack
    That looks irritatingly complicated. I'm not sure I even understand how it works. What are the advantages over a "standard" pedal? I guess free-float but this is being compared to the Speedplay Zero and I thought that pedal limited float.

fux
    Scooterist
    I have been running Zero a couple of years on my road bike.

You can adjust the cleat to give you loads, or no float.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I switched to Speedplay pedals on my road bike recently and love them. Right now I'm using the relatively new Look mtb pedals and love them, but when they wear out the Speedplays would definitely be a consideration.

For those of you who have never looked, check out the Speedplay website on pedal design and technology. There is a great resource on there that explains pedal technology, the important factors in pedal design, and which pedal systems are most effective. Here is a direct link to it:

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?f...ome.chooselong

I found it very informative.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zandr
    That looks irritatingly complicated. I'm not sure I even understand how it works. What are the advantages over a "standard" pedal? I guess free-float but this is being compared to the Speedplay Zero and I thought that pedal limited float.
    When I first got my Speedplay road pedals, I found them very complicated to set up and ended up having them help me at my local shop (they were a Christmas gift that I had purchased myself but couldn't open until Christmas so I was trying to set them up on my own on Christmas day).

But, after a little hassle, I've found it to be worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I'm looking to purchase them myself. I just wish speedplay would stop delaying the release indefinitely. The only mtb pedals that work for me are the frogs and they're really quite awful. Atleast from my perspective, it wouldn't take much to head in a better direction. That being said...whats up with that website?

Ummm...
    Feb 2006
    Would like to hear what you don't like about your Frogs. Use them on both my MTB and Road. A great single platform for both types of riding for me. Easy in/out. Yeah, float not adjustable, but I like a lot of float. Don't have much trouble in messy conditions, and have yet to bust any bakelite/plastic either, and I ain't graceful.

SYZR's look interesting, but I agree with some of the other posts -- cleat looks problematic to me. Frankly, getting tired of waiting to get a look at these as well.
    "everything in moderation -- including moderation"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    Anyone got your hands on a set of these yet? I use the Zeros on my road bike, and I'd love to have the same feel/float limit on my MTB. Speedplay Syzr Mountain Bike Pedal ? First Look - BikeRadar
    Not yet, but when my Frogs wear out they will be the next if the Frogs are no longer available.

First set of Frogs lasted 5 years and were still as good as new, but bike got stolen. New bike new Frogs, so far 2 years.

Those who say the cleats wear out should realise they are not for running marathon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by endo daze View Post
    Would like to hear what you don't like about your Frogs. Use them on both my MTB and Road. A great single platform for both types of riding for me. Easy in/out. Yeah, float not adjustable, but I like a lot of float. Don't have much trouble in messy conditions, and have yet to bust any bakelite/plastic either, and I ain't graceful.

SYZR's look interesting, but I agree with some of the other posts -- cleat looks problematic to me. Frankly, getting tired of waiting to get a look at these as well.
    I run the Frog and it's main disadvantage is that you don't step down to engage the cleat to the pedal, you have to slide it forward. The new Syzr is a big departure from last years pedal (switched from Egg style wings to SPD style jaws). I use the Frogs because they outperform every other mtb pedal in one aspect-no rocking. The cleat rides on the pedal body, it does not rely on the rubber lugs to rest on the pedal. The Syzr will be the same in this regard.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bumpity bump!

Anyone heard anything more about these?

Andy

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    Bumpity bump!

Anyone heard anything more about these?

Andy
    Speedplay are not answering mails about their pedals.

I still use my frogs for MTB. Just bought anew pair of titanium at a good price.

Syzr maybe means shut your ? ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Something I like the look of with these is the metal-to-metal contact between cleat and pedal, after the retention bars on my Time ATACs wore two grooves in the carbon sole of a pair of shoes.

UK Speedplay importer *thinks* it'll be this year but they've no firm information either. I assume (hope?) there may be some sort of announcement at Sea Otter (later this month)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone hear anything more at Sea Otter? Have heard Speedplay weren't there; also it looks like they delete any posting to their FB page asking about the SYZR.

Anyone else think this is a bit ominous?

Andy

mtbr member

New question here. Syzr

Hi All,
    Any word on the new Speedplay Syzr pedals?
    We have No Speedplay Supplyer in New Zealand and Speedplay are not replying to any emails asking about Frog's and Syzr Pedals

Pete

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Any word on the new Speedplay Syzr pedals?
    From Speedplay's Facebook page, though this was a couple of months ago:

Thank you for your interest in the SYZR. We had hoped to be delivering them by now. We are working diligently on the final details to ensure the system meets the high standards of performance and functionality that Speedplay customers have come to expect from our products. We appreciate your patience and look forward to updating you when the Syzr is available for delivery.
    I assume they'll be hanging on for Interbike/Eurobike now, if the SYZR is ready for launch.

mtbr member
    I think you can wear out a pair of Frog's before Speedplay comes with any pedals better than these for off-road biking.
    Since 2010 they have been launching only road pedals and as good as they might be they are not worth much out in the wild.
    Just bought a new pair of titanium Frog's, not worth the extra price over the stainless though, so I know which pedals to buy next time.

mtbr member

No good Thanks

Thanks for the two replys.
    Speedplay have emailed me with the New Zealand Supplyer? its in Sydney Australia! Why do people think that New Zealand is part of Australia?

Is it because we how that USA is a small part of Canada!

Pete

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bumpity bump.

Six months on - has anyone heard anything more?

mtbr member
    The resin part of the Frog pedals is the only one that is wearing out and they should be available and easy to change. I have 2 pair and all they need is grease now and then.
    When I needed a new set of the plastic parts I could not find any, so I ended up buying a new set of Frogs.
    The Syzr are on my wish list, but maybe I will be too old to use them when they finally are on the market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    Bumpity bump.

Six months on - has anyone heard anything more?
    they are now in the Speedplay catalogue:
    http://www.speedplay.com/pubs/Speedplay_2012.pdf
    on page 14.

Seems to me though that I will be faithful to the Frog's. Still have not found anything better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The filename suggests that's the 2012 catalogue...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast