Thread: Speed work

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Speed work

I got a road bike last year and have been working on fitness for MTB riding. Learned a lot here and other places about long slow rides and intervals. They really work!

Now I am hearing a lot about speed work. What exactly is speed work? I know intervals are a part of it, but what else is involved.

One thought I had, when it warms up here , is to warm up on the road bike then hit it hard for a consistant hard ride of 45-60min. I would push my average speed up and go pretty hard for the entire time. Is this a speed workout?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    To your question - Speed work as in high speed pedaling drills - helps smooth out pedal stroke.
    Joe Friel's Blog: Pedaling Drills

But, in Hunter Allen's latest book "Cutting Edge Cycling" - Dr. Andy Coggan states "Based on multiple lines of evidence - I do not believe cyclists can gain a significant gain by performing specific pedaling drills - rather they should focus on maximizing their power while pedaling at a cadence specific to cyclist individual characteristics and nature and demands of sport"

Going hard and steady - pushing up your FTP is best this time of year. Then 6-8 weeks out add anaerobic intervals.

Going long and steady like you described would probably be described as a 'sweet spot' or 'SST' workout
    Sweet Spot Part Deux | FasCat Coaching :: Cycling Coach for all Cyclists

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    To your question - Speed work as in high speed pedaling drills - helps smooth out pedal stroke.
    Joe Friel's Blog: Pedaling Drills

But, in Hunter Allen's latest book "Cutting Edge Cycling" - Dr. Andy Coggan states "Based on multiple lines of evidence - I do not believe cyclists can gain a significant gain by performing specific pedaling drills - rather they should focus on maximizing their power while pedaling at a cadence specific to cyclist individual characteristics and nature and demands of sport"

Going hard and steady - pushing up your FTP is best this time of year. Then 6-8 weeks out add anaerobic intervals.
    Is that along the lines of what you were looking for?